eugopnosaj

God damn delivery drivers!

So, at work with my car in the carpark, parked where it normally is and one of our workers comes upstairs and says to me 'er, Jason, Timbermet owe you a new door...' (I'm a designer for a joinery company and Timbermet are a suppier) I was like WTF, went downstairs and found this staring back at me!

Needless to say I'm not happy, going to need a new door, sprayed to match car, rear quarter repaired and sprayed to match.

What do you think, I know doors aren't cheap, even if I can get a hold of one. Obviously I'm going to claim on their insurance but i know insurance companies have written cars off for less...the door opens and locks but the handle is a bit stiff.

Thoughts please :(

Edited by eugopnosaj

I'd still get it in writing (or email) from Timbermet that they admit liability. We all know what insurance companies are like.

I'm not sure if new doors are available anymore but if front wings were £250 and front bumbers were £500, you can imagine doors would be heading for 4 figures, so yeah, writing it off is a possiblity unfortunately.

I don't know what it is with VWs but this and other forums I use, every week someone loses their car or gets it damaged because of f'ckwits out there.

bugger. my second 16v got wrote off about 8 years ago for the same type of damage, as Kev says above, uneconmic repair/ write off is a possibility.

It will all depend on their insurers.

My brothers mk2 was hit by a transport companies lorry and I dealt with everything for him as he's useless at that kind of stuff.

Phoned the transport co, they put me through to their broker. Broker contacted insco, who sent out an assessor.

I had got quotes for painting a new and second hand panel from two local garages. assessor didn't even talk abut write off even though values were close.

Took cheapest option [£50 less] and asked if I wanted a cheque sent to the garage for the full amount, or a cash settlement at 20% less. Took the cash settlement at £680, bought a replacement wing from a breaker in the correct colour for £30 and fitted it myself :lol:

As their 100% liable, they'll just want to get rid of the claim as cheaply as possible. If you can get quotes from local painters using a second hand door included in the quote, you should be laughing.

Am I right in thinking if a car does get written off you can get your payout, buy it back from the insurers and get it repaired yourself anyway or have I dreamt that?

Yes, but the downside is that it permanently is marked as being written off, which will potentially scare buyers away and might affect your insurance.

Someone crashed into my Corrado, while it was parked outside a friends house(fitting his flooring), luckily enough it was one of his neighbours and they came to the door. Damage was a lot less than yours, front wing and bumper scuffed, wing slightly dented.

Once I had calmed down I gave them my details

Within 2 hours his insurance company was on my phone.

I was given 3 choices, £1200 and its written off, £1000 and its written off but I get to keep it (cat D?) or £800 and not written off.

I took option C and the money was in my account later that afternoon :)

I'd still get it in writing (or email) from Timbermet that they admit liability. We all know what insurance companies are like.

I'm not sure if new doors are available anymore but if front wings were £250 and front bumbers were £500, you can imagine doors would be heading for 4 figures, so yeah, writing it off is a possiblity unfortunately.

I don't know what it is with VWs but this and other forums I use, every week someone loses their car or gets it damaged because of f'ckwits out there.

Yeah this os my worry, the driver admitted liability and we phoned Timbermet's head offices straight away, we have good contacts there and she is putting it through to their transport department. It was in our carpark and there were plently of witnesses.

As you say, if it gets written off and I buy it back it'll be hell to sell it further down the line :(

I will look into second hand doors and getting them resprayed, theres other parts that need spraying like the aforementioned rear quarter and both bumpers, although i could claim for the rear bumper as its the same side and the black mark and dent line on the door through to the wing can be followed down to the bumper (although it was already there when i bought the car)

Thanks guys for your responses.

back in 2009 i got quoted somthing like £870 for a new wing and door after a bin lorry hit my car iutside my house. I kicked off and got it repaired by their insurance but collected a wing and door ready just in case they wrote it off and i brought it back. I still have the door in my garage you can have a what i paid if that helps?

---------- Post added at 2:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:31 PM ----------

back in 2009 i got quoted somthing like £870 for a new wing and door after a bin lorry hit my car outside my house. I kicked off and got it repaired by their insurance but collected a wing and door ready just in case they wrote it off and i brought it back. I still have the door in my garage you can have a what i paid if that helps?

When the Valver was written off, I got £1360 ish from the insurance as it was written off (should have bartered I know, but I only paid £500 for it!), and bought it back off the insurance company for £34.20! :dance: I then sold it on for scrap to DevonDubShack for £175. Could have got a hell of a lot more if I broke it myself as there was quite alot of good and expensive parts that the previous owner didn't realise, but I didn't have the means to do it at the time.

You have a common law right to have your car restored to its pre-accident condition, but you would have to sue them in the County Court (or Small Claims Court). And you will have a hell of a job getting your /their insurer to accept that this is the case. I would have thought that, as the 3rd party is one of your company's suppliers they would be falling over themselves to make you a settlement that you are happy with. In the grand scheme of things this is not a big claim.

Good luck

RB

Gutted for you fella, hopefully they will sort something out that your happy with.

On another note, if you car was insured at a fix value and this had happened. Would the other company have to pay the fixed value that it was insured for?

Yeah i know its not a big claim, but when you read the reasons that insurance companies write cars off its kinda saddening and annoying. I've had the engineer look at the car and that was on wednesday, I still haven't heard anything and he said he would let me know on thursday...

Obviously i don't want to have to take things further but at the same time i dont want to lose my car or have to pay out for another, at a potential loss...

Renson, what colour is the door? I have been offered another but I might need another door for the valver...

As said before, are Corrado's one of thee most hit cars going considering the odds/numbers of them? must be up in the top 5 surely?

Hopefully there's a sensible solution to this soon for you. But as above, same happened to a mate of mine, were his rado was hit by someone pulling out of a road end, door bust in, glass sent across the cabin, written off, bought it back gathered up bits himself and got a local garage to sort the rest and still with money in pocket. Only problem he had going down the write off option was proving a current value to insurers by having to send in evidence of similar cars adverts and sales to counter their measly offer?!

I wouldn't worry too much about future sales, if its documented what it was.

is it just the door skin or is the window mech bent too?

The window goes up and down so thankfully that is OK. I received the engineers report last night and a letter from the solicitor. From what I can gather they're going to repair it. I had to phone the people dealing with it as the letter didn't make much sense and the guy on the other end said he thinks its repairable but he doesn't know why they haven't contacted me regarding getting it booked in...he's going to look into that for me.

They cannot get hold of a new door so the cost of the repair is based on a second hand one, which albeit it a bit cheeky is better than writing the car off i suppose. They've valved it at £1800 based on Glass's guide retail of £2110 and Glass's guide trade £1885. The repairs are estimated at £1361.88 which involves:

New Parts

N/S outer door handle,

N/S/F door moulding,

N/S quarter moulding,

Door foil

Sound pad

Repair Parts

N/S rear quarter panel

Rear bumper

Wax

Final check and QC

Paint

New and repaired areas to match and blending as required

At the bottom in the comments areas he's put 'Door to door skin not available, probable problem with mouldings as well confirmed with VW dealer bodyshop. Cost of repair based on second hand door'

I think if they were able to get a brand new door it would have been a write off based on a second hand door plus all the work coming in at around £1400, labour alone is most of that!

So now I've got to wait for a call to tell me when they're going to book the car in for repair. I just hope the paint matches as its had a new bonnet in the past and it doesn't match anymore and it'd mean the bonnet, plus the n/s will look good and the rest of the car looking poor haha! Guess I should look at getting the bumper and drivers door sorted too!

---------- Post added at 9:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:10 AM ----------

The window goes up and down so thankfully that is OK. I received the engineers report last night and a letter from the solicitor. From what I can gather they're going to repair it. I had to phone the people dealing with it as the letter didn't make much sense and the guy on the other end said he thinks its repairable but he doesn't know why they haven't contacted me regarding getting it booked in...he's going to look into that for me.

They cannot get hold of a new door so the cost of the repair is based on a second hand one, which albeit it a bit cheeky is better than writing the car off i suppose. They've valved it at £1800 based on Glass's guide retail of £2110 and Glass's guide trade £1885. The repairs are estimated at £1361.88 which involves:

New Parts

N/S outer door handle,

N/S/F door moulding,

N/S quarter moulding,

Door foil

Sound pad

Repair Parts

N/S rear quarter panel

Rear bumper

Wax

Final check and QC

Paint

New and repaired areas to match and blending as required

At the bottom in the comments areas he's put 'Door to door skin not available, probable problem with mouldings as well confirmed with VW dealer bodyshop. Cost of repair based on second hand door'

I think if they were able to get a brand new door it would have been a write off based on a second hand door plus all the work coming in at around £1400, labour alone is most of that!

So now I've got to wait for a call to tell me when they're going to book the car in for repair. I just hope the paint matches as its had a new bonnet in the past and it doesn't match anymore and it'd mean the bonnet, plus the n/s will look good and the rest of the car looking poor haha! Guess I should look at getting the bumper and drivers door sorted too!

Might be worth slipping a few notes to the body shop and seeing if they'll do the whole car at the same time. By the time they've got the compressor fired up, ordered paint, masked etc there probably won't be a massive difference in price..!

Might be worth slipping a few notes to the body shop and seeing if they'll do the whole car at the same time. By the time they've got the compressor fired up, ordered paint, masked etc there probably won't be a massive difference in price..!

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, they'd be doing a 1/3 of the car might as well do it all!. I've got the courtesy car for a 28day lease...I doubt they'd mind if it took longer!