Mawrick

Is the fuel pump a "known" problem on the VR6 (hot start problem)

Got a tips on another forum that hot start problems could be related to fuel pump problem - does anyone know if this is a "known" problem on the VR6, and if there is any way to test if this problem is present or not?.

They where talking about a valve not beiing able to hold pressure.

But if that's the case - why would it still work fine when cold ? (mine always starts but takes some cranking before starting when warm)

my valve was kaput, took a long time to start hot or cold,

so no I don't think that's your problem

Fuel pumps are known across the model to fail as they are all getting on a bit now. You usually get a bit of prior warning though as they start to become quite noisy when hey are on their way out. Its not uncommon though that it goes unoticed. There are two of them too. One in tank, and an inline lift pump.

My original failed without warning in our High Street after 16 years. Never had any hot or cold starting problems due to it.

Anyone ever heard of a repair kit for this ? (a hose with a valve on it), and eventually know the part number?.

(Got info from a german forum that such a kit was made due to problems)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221021780029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I took the top of the fuel pump off and cut the hose coming from the supply side of the pump, I cut it as near to the top as you need to secure the one way valve with fuel pipe clamps which are metal and it's best to keep them as far away from the pump terminals as possible, alternativly you could put it in the engine bay, I did mine in the tank because if the fail you wont have petrol peeing out everywhere

Did you get any further with this issue?

I managed to borrow a manometer to test my fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, turned out all are fine.

Measured the voltage at the fuel pump and its on 0,8V (hadn't heard the pump priming either lately)

So gave a direct 12V feed where the Relais goes at pin 4 and suddenly the pump was working again.

So my problem seems to be the relais (No. 167 at position 12) seems to be half working (fine when cold, cooler temps).

Ordering a new one on Monday and hopefully that will cure my hot starting problems!!!

My original failed without warning in our High Street after 16 years. Never had any hot or cold starting problems due to it.

Yep, that's what usually happens. They either work or they don't.

The built in check valve is a simple ball/spring affair which rarely breaks.

From a german site - this is the "fix" that was available from VW - but he didn't know the part-number, anyone in here seen it before ?:

20130615_112518_zps02517e5c.jpg

Haven't seen it before, what i have seen is just a "standard" non return valve without any tubing.

This is the part no. 1H0 998 759 but as far as i know it is no longer available from VW...

Have you checked the voltage at your fuel pump between PIN 1 and 4 with the ignition on and is your relay clicking to indicate it is allowing voltage to the fuel pump?

I have a similar issue but mine seems to be either a wiring problem or possibly the MAF (which I have just replaced but need to see if its the cure). As when i disconnect my old MAF it starts straight away!