ross k

garage put extended wheel nuts through my wheel bearing ?

Hi Guys

Had a nightmare day, basically I took my car to a local garage to balance the front wheels and look at the clutch; as the pedal sticks occasionally. I would usually do this myself but I don't have time and I am driving it 300 miles Tuesday. Anyway, I picked the car up and they tell me its completely broken down and the clutch is seized. Not happy I took the car to look at it this weekend. I drove the car and its making an awful grinding noise; on further inspection it seems when you turn the driver side wheel it graunches and the passenger runs free. This immediately shouted wheel bearing, on further inspection it appears the garage have obviously put my front wheel back on without the spacer and rammed the 20mm extended wheel bolts into the wheel bearing and they said they can't look at it till Wednesday next week, annoying since I specifically told the garage about the spacers.

I'm not here to slate the garage and wont name it. I just need to know what parts I will need to repair it, as I don't want it to ruin my holiday as its my only car.

They should really be repairing that FOC as they have shown total incompetence! Name, shame and avoid!

If the bolts have gone too far through the hub then it will have damaged the hub carrier and the noise would be the bolts on the hub carrier grinding away at the carrier itself. I wouldn't recommend using the carrier again if I were you either as it could be dangerously damaged.

Get the wheel off, post a picture and we can tell you for sure what's up and what is down!

That's appalling!! I agree with Sean_Jaymo that they should they be repairing it FOC, but not only that... they should also be in full-on grovel mode and should be doing everything they can to fix it asap, i.e. before your holiday! Everybody makes mistakes from time to time, but I think how a company deals with them defines them.

PS. Hope you get it sorted quickly and that it doesn't ruin your holiday.

Agree totally with above comments , if that was me , I would be back there , explain about your holiday and that you need it sorting there and then . Not when they want to do it . Yes they made a mistake , but that's not your problem it's there's to sort out ASAP .

hi guys update i took the disk and caliper of and found the problem as the pictures show. They have screwed the wheel bolts right into the inner hub and because they have forced the bolts in it has badly bent the guard meaning its rubbing badly on the bottom of the hub and the abs sensor making the horrible noise. Also the wheel bolts pushing it away has ruined the threads on the screws that hold the guard on what is this piece for i couldn't go any further without a hub puller on the plus side fitted a slave cylinder just need to bleed the clutch thanks ross

hub1.jpg

hub2.jpg

That's appalling to see from people who are hopefully qualified, I would be naming them so others know to avoid them. This is basics during first year of a college fast fit course or any motor engineering course for that matter. I would be asking them to fit you in tomorrow morning due to your holiday plans and if possible stay with the vehicle and observe whilst they repair the damaged parts. Trading laws state you have to give them the chance to repair it however if they refuse you have options such as 3rd party inspection and billing them.

I highly stress you name them, as if they can't get something so basic right then imagine what they could do when fitting a clutch...

From the looks of that, I would say that only your ABS ring has had it. Fairly cheap part but heavy on the labour due to having to remove the hub from the bearing to replace it. I'd fight for a new bearing as well as the chances of it being ok after this little episode are quite low, especially if they pull the hub out and refit it.

I would contact the Citizens advice if they refuse to fit you in immediately. If they can't fit you in, then ask the Citizens Advice guys what comeback you have if you take it to another garage for repairs.

​If you are mechanically minded, it's not a tough job to replace the whole hub carrier assembly.

yeah i am thinking of replacing the whole hub carrier after being offered one for a reasonable 10 pound. But i am going to wait to see what the garage have to say for themselves tomorrow i don't want to name and shame until i give them the chance to sort it tomorrow because now i have it apart i fail to see how they can deny their mistake thanks Ross

that sucks!!!!!!

TBH i'm not surprised though, i work in the garage trade, not as a machanic but deal with them everyday.

The amount of times i get calls for 'your fu**ing machines not reading right its failing cars on emissions or the brake forces are all over the place' etc etc. 99% of the time its them or that car thats at fault, a lot of mechanics today are really just 'fitters' and all they do is swap old for new. Anything that takes a bit of brain power or common sense seems beyond them :/

I'd take it back to them with the photographs and see what they will do, call citizens advise first so you are armed with all the information you will need. If they say no and there are other customers about, make sure you make a scene, they won't like that .

Good luck