scorrado123

Treasured VR6 written off! :( Advice needed to restore

Technically it's 2 parts, there is a stub axle which the wheel and brake assembly itself sit on and the that is bolted to the rear beam.

Stub axles bend a lot easier than the beam but to me, I'd say your beam is bent as well in that picture.

Look under the car forward of the wheel and look for where the beam bolts to the underside of the car. Make sure it's intact and not bent as well.

Get a photo up of behind the wheel if you can.

I was under the impression if the other party is 100% to blame, their insurance company have to put you back in the same position as before the crash, and you could insist that the car is repaired, not written off, or have I got the wrong end of the stick (as I often do!!).

Good luck in sorting it out :)

Technically it's 2 parts, there is a stub axle which the wheel and brake assembly itself sit on and the that is bolted to the rear beam.

Stub axles bend a lot easier than the beam but to me, I'd say your beam is bent as well in that picture.

Look under the car forward of the wheel and look for where the beam bolts to the underside of the car. Make sure it's intact and not bent as well.

Get a photo up of behind the wheel if you can.

Will try and get a picture up tomorrow

Thanks.

Hi all,

So I've managed to have a look under the car with my mechanic and things are not as bad as they could be!

He seems to think I only need to replace the rear beam as the other parts look ok. He's recommended I replace some of the bushes too which makes sense but all in all not too bad. I also need replacement brackets and bolts that hold the beam in place.

While I'm at it I'm on the hunt for a drivers door too - I've got the old 16v one but as it too would need painting I'm thinking might just be more straightforward to replace with a VR one?

2 different bodyshops have quoted £1000 to get the bodywork side of things in order as long as I supply them with a second hand door. Can ~I use the door handle from my old 16v??

Definately going to try and get her back to somewhere near her former glory! :)

So in summary looking for:

Rear beam

Rear beam brackets

Drivers side door

Drivers side door handle (if 16v one cannot be used)

If any of you come across any of these for sale, please send me a message or reply to the thread.

Cheers!

Looks like you may very well not have a write-off on your hands after all. That can only be good news.

You must be delighted!! I know I would be. :)

Hey mate I had a similar problem with accident damage to mine, needed a replacement passengers door and repairs to the rear quarter and bumper, not as much damage as yours but again i wasn't at fault. The garage quoted £1400 to repair it but the insurance were going to write it off and only offer me £1100 due to part availability. I said no and argued it, said i'd get the parts second hand, got door and trim parts for the measly sum of £30! The garage took 3 days to repair the car, the only thing now is its a slightly different colour.

Its just more of an nuisance rather than anything else and really time consuming. I was gutted because they said they'd repair it then changed their mind, took the courtesy car off me and offered me that crappy sum of money! At least you can get it sorted too.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=81688

Hi all,

Thought I'd provide a quick update as to where I've got to with the car, and It's all looking pretty positive at the moment!

I wrote to the insurance company at great length to put my point across as to how keen I was to get the car repaired due to the rarity and value of it. Included lots of pics of the finer points of the car as well as the damage including speedo to highlight mileage, folder of receipts etc. I also included some estimates for the cost of repair using a second hand door and subframe. They agreed to pay the price and to not CAT anything the car! :)

I have since managed to source both a sub frame and door from a fellow forummer (Thanks Alex). I ordered a couple of new bushes and couple of other bits which my mechanic is in the process of adding to the beam and generally prepping for fitting.

Plan is to get that sorted in the next week or so and then off to the bodyshop with the door and let them work their magic!

Only other thing to sort out at this stage is what to do regarding the damaged wheel. I've not had any joy trying to find another 17" Kahn RS-R so at this stage am weighing up two options. First one is to get a new set of wheels and the second is to get the broken one repaired. To this end I have had a couple of quotes to get the wheel properly welded and repaired which are around the £150 mark.

Will keep you all updated on progress...

Cheers!