Jim Bowen

KW V1's broken? Need advice

I think my two front KW1 coilovers have broken, they seem oily on top of the strut (do they have oil in them?) Also car is driving like crap.

Am about to ring Stealth racing and want them to supply and fit some new suspension but not sure what to go for now.

I want something that is quite robust, the KW's seems a very small unit overall compared to a normal shocks setup. Not sure if coilovers are generally smaller and if that really matters or not? I would happily go with a normal spring and shock setup but the last two i had lowered the car funny amounts.

Have been considering the Koni coilovers, but don't want to put something on the car and ruin it with the local roads.

Jim - what is the feel of the dampen & return like when you push a front corner down? Does it feel any different to the rears?

I noticed a small oil smear on top of my KW's several months after having them so i spoke to KW - they said that a small residue is normal as the piston which moves is slightly lubricated & as such can produce said oily smear on top of the strut.

IIRC KW said that they are gas dampers, rather than traditional oil or similar filled dampers, & thus if there was a leak they would loose most if not all of their damping effect

also, have you spoken to KW as their US site states...... 'How much warranty do I have on my KW’s?

All KW street suspension comes with a limited lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defect'

Hope this helps

The rear is really stiff and hardly moves, the front seems softer and has a bit of bounce to it. I've always struggled with them, originally had them wound up nearly all the way and car was too stiff with no play in the springs (mostly compressed)

so slackened them off and handling got a bit better but the car is a lot lower than i would of had it. (wishbones point up etc)

I don't mind getting some new stuff and nothing being wrong with the KW's, i would probably just sell them on anyway.

Just spoke to Vince and he recommends the Koni sports shocks with H&R springs. My KW may be fine but too stiff for daily use on what i would consider some of the worst roads in the country. I literally bounce out the seat sometimes :lol:

Is yours a vr6?

there are different springs (stiffer) for vr6 compared to the other flavors, as the vr6 engine is much heavier.

when i bought my kw's i was sold a vr6 set, even though i had a 2.0 16v.

what part number is on your helper springs? i can check mine at home tonight.

\Patrick

Hi Jim,

I had Konis and H&R on my old VR6.....great ride but not great for low look. Sounds like they'd be ideal for you. I have KW V1 Inox too and been thinking about switching to Koni/H&R at a later date.

But the Koni/HR combo handles better because they're not low. You can't have it both ways :D

I never rated the V1s. I was surprised they were made by the same company as my V3s they were so bad.

Think i've gone past the point of caring about the lowness etc, as long as it drives nice i will be happy. After sorting out the noisy engine recently i started thinking there isn't much left to do with the car so may as well finally try to enjoy the ride and get this suspension sorted.

But the Koni/HR combo handles better because they're not low. You can't have it both ways :D

I never rated the V1s. I was surprised they were made by the same company as my V3s they were so bad.

I'm not a fan of overly lowered cars either to be fair, when I bought mine it was "dick head" low....never really understood that scene. Unfortunately KW1s are what I have. Although I've raised them from what it was.

Just got a price from Vince, stupidly i sold all the spring plates, bump stops and associated bits with my last suspension, thinking i wouldn't need it again. I had bought all those bits new from VW, so need to buy them again to fit springs and shocks.

I am pretty certain i am going to go ahead with it.

I'm not a fan of overly lowered cars either to be fair, when I bought mine it was "dick head" low....never really understood that scene. Unfortunately KW1s are what I have. Although I've raised them from what it was.

Me neither. I don't think it even looks good, let alone anything else! A nice uniform gap around the arch is spot on, which the Koni/H&R combo gives you. A slammed car just looks unappealing to drive because it has zero travel and will make a right meal of tiny bumps 'normal' cars wouldn't even notice.

I went out in a VR6 with V1s set to the usual 2-3 finger gap and I was really suprised how it felt too stiffly sprung and under damped at the same time. The V3s are a world apart from that, but they're a heck of a lot more money unfortunately.

Just got a price from Vince, stupidly i sold all the spring plates, bump stops and associated bits with my last suspension, thinking i wouldn't need it again. I had bought all those bits new from VW, so need to buy them again to fit springs and shocks.

I am pretty certain i am going to go ahead with it.

I did the same mate. I priced it all up and it was around £600 for the konis and springs, but all the front and rear fittings I'd binned pushed it to over a grand when bought new from VW.

Yeah, its a bit over a grand, but that includes fitting and the 4 wheel alignment, which isn't too bad really imo.

Yeah that's very reasonable. Corrados always feel amazing after a chassis overhaul and a Vince alignment. He uses slightly less camber (-0.8 instead of -1.2 IIRC) which makes the tyres last longer and gives it a really solid feel on the road.

I was hoping you'd try the Bilstein B12 kit!

Thanks but i think i am going to buy new stuff, its the only way i'll be happy.

Pic of how it sits at the moment, rear is probably a bit lower than the front. I've only lowered it this much to give the springs a bit more play, otherwise they are really compressed

20130830_160620.jpg

I have a B12 pro kit done less than 5k of you're interested Jim?

What did you think of it?

I find those Bilstein monotubes to be slightly aggressive but the pay off is very consisent damping.

I've got the Koni/H&R combo and while it's not bone-shaking, it's still too stiff for my liking over pot-holed roads.

I've been looking at the Bilstein B12 kit too as a replacement in the future. Not sure how it compares, so interested to hear lewvw's opinion...

My Corrado is for sale so I put it back to standard, I never fitted the B12 kit so unable to comment sorry!

It can't be as hard as the KW V1 kit, it is so hard that I am also getting really really tired of it :(

Hey Lewvw, how much do you want for the B12 kit? plus does it come with any extra mounting bits.

I would like what I paid which is £400. Ian (Glosterox) is interested and has asked for first refusal. Shall I let you know if he declines? There are no extra mounting bits.