stormseeker

Corrado re-birth? Or death?

Hi,

not been round these parts in a long time... (re-logged on the forums yesterday after a good few years away but it's taken me until now to read Kev Bacon's (sure he was Haywire back in the day :-) epic exploits...)

Anyway, I used to drive the VR6 as my daily driver from 2003-2006 ish, then got a new job, with a company car and lots of motorway miles. So the VR6 was SORN'd around 2007-ish, and has been languishing on my front drive ever since. Over the years I found lots of notes on the car "If this car is for sale please call me...etc." but just couldn't bring myself to part with the old beauty.

Anyway, it's had 6 years of "rest" and is now causing serious marital issues (i.e. "the corrado goes or I go") - luckily a dude who came to pick up some wheels I sold on ebay showed some interest in buying it and awakened my interest in getting the thing back on the road again, either to keep or to sell.

Over the years the engine's been regularly turned over, but last time I tried it wouldn't start (I'm hoping it's the OEM Scorpion alarm again, as it doesn't seem to like being stored with the battery disconnected and I haven't had time to try the "resync" procedure yet that I know caused it to "immobilise" last time.)

Brakes have seized, so there's no moving it without a fight, need to get it jacked up, wheels off and inspect the rust... exhaust blowing (outer skin of the big box peeled off!)

So the point of this post? Not sure yet - just saying hello again after some years away while I decide whether to

(i) invest (probably a lot of) time & money in getting the car back to its former glory

(ii) invest (minimal) time & money in getting it MoT'd & then sell it

(iii) cut my losses & sell as it is with no MoT etc. as a project for someone to restore/"drop an R32 in" :-)

(iv) (can't believe I'm typing this...) scrap it to local scrappy

???

It will depend how its faired over the last 6 years? I bought old Hennys car after a similar period standing on this drive, the rot around the screen is putting me off starting its return to previous glory.....

There lies the issue. If its succumbed to the dreaded tin-worm, its gonna cost a LOT of money to put right. Everything else is just consumable items like filters, fluids, disks and pads etc. These are all easy to sort and replace and although stack up, won't be anywhere near as much as cutting out old metal, welding in new, and repainting.

Hello again.

Think you "spotted" me in Mere Brow about ten years back(thought I remembered the user name).

Get it kept. They're not fetching much money in great condition anyway. And shame on you for mentioning the "scrap" word. Give it a wash and a little love and I'm sure the Mrs will forget all about it.

Put VCDS on it and take it from there I say.

Hello again.

Think you "spotted" me in Mere Brow about ten years back(thought I remembered the user name).

Wow. That's a good memory!

Thanks all for the advice, next job is to get it jacked up and inspect the underside, wheels off to free the brakes... get the engine running.

Think I'll call all the guys who left notes on it over the years, and see if they're still interested in buying - maybe have a mini auction in the front garden ;-)

Option (iii) won the day!

The dude who I sold the Audi wheels to had a mate who was just about to buy a valver to restore... he obviously preferred a VR6, cash exchanged hands and now my Corrado is gone. Even with no tax/MoT, seized brakes, and a non-starting VR6 lump he handed over a wad of cash I was more than happy with!

Feeling a mixture of sadness & joy - the guy that bought it was so excited about getting back on the road again, and he sounds like he's got some subtle mods in mind too :-) He's giving himself 2 months to get it all sorted. Was a bit of a trial towing the thing down the drive, they ploughed the garden up before deciding to take the front pads out!

Goodbye N690LFW

(Some pics showing its rust/patina/green growth)

Hi stormseeker (Christian)

just been reading about the demise of VR I have some good news for you

The lad you sold it to had to sell it again after losing a place to restore it

and I'm the new owner of it and bought it early October and since then a lot has been done

brake lines all new from front to back

disc front and rear

pads front and rear

wheel Barings front and rear

battery

HT leads

spark plugs

all new filters fuel and oil

bare metal re spray booked for in 07/12/13

rear lights and side repeaters

coil overs and top mounts

Porsche D90 wheels and PCD adaptors

looking to get all the work completed by April will keep you updated with the build

Start an owners thread mate, always great to see one saved. Nice choice of wheels as well!