Martin_B

My Black 16v

Hello all!

Made a newbie thread last week - i'm new to Corrado's - been an avid owner of MK3 Polo's since 2006 and can also be found over on Club Polo as a staff member/moderator.

Wasn't looking for a Corrado specifically, I was looking to replace the Polo - with another Polo but a Corrado came up for sale on eBay around 10 miles from me and I went to view and subsequently made an offer and bought the car! It was owned by a lad since July of this year, he couldn't afford to put any money into it and his dad wanted the garage back. Previous to that it was used daily for 3 and a half years by another owner. The MOT lapsed 10 days ago and I took ownership of it today. It's booked in for an MOT on Tuesday... Looking forward to establishing if it needs work doing and/or being able to start driving it!

It's pretty clean and solid on the exterior, no rust or rot from what I can see - which makes a change to Polo's of this era! Interior-wise, it needs trim and I could do with a new drivers seat, or, a new interior but i'll see how I feel once Tuesday has been and gone. Engine seems fine - the idle screw on the throttle body was wound fully in and was idling around 500RPM, I adjusted to around 900RPM - is this the correct procedure or should I have adjusted it a different way?

The Corrado is fairly standard bar an uprated headlight loom. The backbox is from an Audi apparently. Can anyone confirm if a Scirocco backbox will be a direct replacement?

Anyway, time for some pics:

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

79c64e86-2610-4e1d-97ac-ed53903f3772.jpg

Best of luck with the car. It looks nice and original. Those alloys are starting to grow on me.

First mod should be lupo/tt wipers. The originals aren't very good.

\Paddy

Good call with the idle mate, 900-1000 is ideal for a valver. Mine doesn't idle properly so I've had to up it to 1100rpm on idle, drives a treat though. They're pretty slow when accellerating from 1000-3500rpm, but after 3500 they take off and scream! They love being driven. Looks tidy mate, enjoy

CO needs setting at idle first (long hex key into top of metering head) before using the idle speed adjustment screw to tweak the rpm, need this done on a gas analyser to get about 1-2 % CO, but you can do it quite well by ear, i.e. when it runs smoothest.

Ideally a new set of injectors is required to get a really good idle on a 16v, after 100K the injectors get worn and don't spray nice and evenly, particularly at idle (cleaning won't recover them). Correct Idle should be in the range of 950-1050rpm

Looks nice Martin! Quite clean, just check under the battery for any rust! I've also got myself a Corrado now, currently in many pieces doing an engine change however should be ready in the new year :) keeping the Polo though ;)

They're pretty slow when accellerating from 1000-3500rpm, but after 3500 they take off and scream! They love being driven.

Life begins at 4K

First major update.

The Corrado passed it's MOT today!

The tester told me that the a headlamp adjuster was faulty so he rectified with a wedge of paper and a tyre received an advisory (will get paperwork tonight to confirm).

I replaced a sidelight bulb on Sunday and fettled with a rear indicator bulb and that was it. Looking forward to selling my Polo and driving this around :)

Still waiting to sell my Polo before the Corrado sees the road.

So far I have new seats (Dark VR6 items), new headlamp bulbs, some LED sidelights & foglights. Purchased a K&N panel filter too.

Sold my Polo this week and taxed & insured the Corrado today.

Went for a quick spin before dinner and took a few snaps. Can't believe how planted you feel on the road, makes a nice change from a mk3 Polo!

Got a misfire when booting it in 2nd/3rd it feels like it's holding back; a bit jerky - think it's from being stood up since the beginning of September and getting a bit damp etc. Will probably get new cap & rotor arm over the weekend and also I think old fuel isn't helping either!

Hoping to clean up my black seats over the weekend and collecting my new black doorcards this eve from work!

DSC_0020-1.jpg

Really tidy mate, needs picks of the interior changes though. I had a valved a few years back and have missed it ever since - not the quickest thing in the world but I challenge you not to smile when its on full chat :D

Hi, thanks for your kind words!

It's currently with my mechanic who's replaceing rear wheel bearings, discs & pads. He's also removed the locking nuts of which I didn't have a key for :)

I've also secured a set of FK Highsport coilovers too!

Will do, thsnks for the heads up!

My adjuster mechanism for the headlights arrived yesterday so I can now fix the damn thing!

CO needs setting at idle first (long hex key into top of metering head) before using the idle speed adjustment screw to tweak the rpm, need this done on a gas analyser to get about 1-2 % CO, but you can do it quite well by ear, i.e. when it runs smoothest.

Ideally a new set of injectors is required to get a really good idle on a 16v, after 100K the injectors get worn and don't spray nice and evenly, particularly at idle (cleaning won't recover them). Correct Idle should be in the range of 950-1050rpm

instead of buying new injectors get yours refurbished by Mr Injector found here .....http://mrinjectoruk.co.uk/

instead of buying new injectors get yours refurbished by Mr Injector found here .....http://mrinjectoruk.co.uk/

nope, not worth it on K-jet injectors they actually physically wear and you won't get the spray pattern back, plus they are nearer the price of a refurb new than electronic injectors

nope, not worth it on K-jet injectors they actually physically wear and you won't get the spray pattern back, plus they are nearer the price of a refurb new than electronic injectors

Dave, what are the best injectors to use?

Very nice!

Regarding your running issue, a service items like plugs/leads/roto/fuel filter/air filter and then check for vacuum leaks.. When you are happy with those items, get the car on a gas analyser an set the CO2 and check the timing.

A 16v should rev freely all the way to 7200rpm with a noticeable kick around 4000rpm.

Very nice!

Regarding your running issue, a service items like plugs/leads/roto/fuel filter/air filter and then check for vacuum leaks.. When you are happy with those items, get the car on a gas analyser an set the CO2 and check the timing.

A 16v should rev freely all the way to 7200rpm with a noticeable kick around 4000rpm.

I have the very part's for sale right now brand new plug leads/dizzy/rotor/coil in part's for sale :)

Cheers chaps - will give her a good run and see how she fares, since i've had her on the road and using more regularly she's getting better!

Collected said wheels this morning - plans are to strip the tyres and paint the wheels silver/dark silver in the new year.

20131124_150036-1.jpg

20131124_121426.jpg

20131124_150044.jpg