Roger Chatfield

Newbie from Plymouth

Evening all, I'm Roger and I'm from sunny Plymouth.

A long story short... many moons ago when I was a young man I owned a Mk2 Scirocco and loved it, I always said that when I eventually grew up I would treat myself to a nice Corrado.. IMO the successor to the mighty 'rocco'

Anyway time moves on and after a few years playing with Alfa's (a lovely 1.7 Sudsprint and a Veloce coverleaf 33) I went all Jap and had a long term relationship with Honda CRX's, one of which I kept for over 7 years and ended up turbo charging.. (wish I never sold it)..

Anyway, I've done CRX's to death and TBH I've grown up a bit now (it's only taken me 43 years lol) so a Corrado is back on the cards.

I'd really like a nice VR6 but am also thinking of maybe a tidy 16v and then retro fitting the 1.8 turbo engine that seems to live in most hot VAG models these days... anyone done this conversion on here??

That's me chaps... BTW long shot I know but if anyone close to Plymouth would be able to show me around their Corrado that would be great.

Rog.

Welcome along, plenty of 1.8t conversions on here. Plenty of owners in south west too, but I moved a long time ago so not me anymore. Probably best to look out for a local meet if looking an inspection!

Standard VR6 for the win.

You wouldn't buy a Mustang and fit a Celica engine to it.

Welcome aboard. I see you Joined 4 years ago but still don't own one. Time to get that fixed, you won't regret it. I came back from an S4 as there is just something about them.

If you are ever in Exeter give me a shout and you could come have a poke round mine.

Hes my Uncle! Kind of half uncle actually, hes my Dads half brother. When you mentioned the CRX and being from Plymouth I remembered your speech! I'd forgotten about you asking to look round one actually, as I had an impromtu visit down this weekend gone in the Corrado due to the death of the daily. Would have tried to get hold of you for a looksee if I'd remembered. Have you left the mob now then? I'm stuck up in C'wood for a while, 9 weeks into PO's course!

Yes mate, left April 2011 and now work at Laira train depot as a Multi Skilled technician, best thing I did leaving, loving being a civvie...lol

So who is your dad then mate?? also what are you up to in the mob, gotta love Collingrad..lol

Would love to have a look round yours mate, sounds exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, don't suppose you are down this way again any time soon... or know anyone else local with one I could have a nose around.

Rog.

My Dad was Steve. He passed 8 years ago so you probably never met him. I'm on POET(WE) course, so in Collingrad for quite some time yet! We won't be back in Guzz now until Christmas, but hopefully not in the Corrado if I'm honest! Not the most comfortable of drives on a Friday afternoon with two young kids, and a shed load of luggage and birthday presents stuffed in every stowage, hole and crevice available! It'd be even worse at that time of year!

Get yourself down to DevonDubShack. The guys name is Dan, although I think he's moved again now, but he used to be on the Embankment just past the yacht club. Always has a few breakers or is working on various Vdubs, so may be able to show you round or point you in the right direction. There are a couple of Valvers in the local area I believe, and I think there is even one in the process of doing the 1.8T conversion, though my memory fails me as to who it is. Have a look through the members galleries to see who it is. There is a very tasty VR6 Turbo in Paignton too I believe.

I think there is even one in the process of doing the 1.8T conversion, though my memory fails me as to who it is.

Hi! :wave:

Going slowly, but getting there ;)

Also Dubshack is now based in south brent, TQ10 9GQ

Thanks for the replies fella's, Rob are you every down in Plymouth? Would mind a look round yours if that is possible.

Also, is there a buyers guide anywhere on the forum, I pretty much know CRX's like the back of my hand but VW's are a new thing for me (apart from a Mk2 Scirrocco I had 20 odd years ago, Christ Im getting old...lol)

Rog.

Little update, went for a viewing yesterday and ended up putting a deposit on this little beauty.

image_zps596dfc00.jpg

Pick it up in two weeks and can't wait.

Rog. (Very very happy)

Lol ! Never figured it !

I was going to keep it quite until I pick it up but I'm so excited about it that I feel I need to tell the world...lol

I put a post up on CRX-UK and surprisingly did not receive one negative comment, I guess proper car folk like proper cars and the Corrado draws mutual respect wherever it goes.

12 days to go... Can't wait.

Rog.

Me too it was actually annoying me as I recognised the registration but couldn't remember where from :bonk::bonk: