perky15

Supercharger or 263s

Charger, did cams on my last VR6 and the charger gives more power by quite a way.

Comes down to cost though as charger installs can range from £1500 to much much more depending on what power you want. If you can get a good condition vortech stage 1 kit then you wont need to rebuild your engine, likley cost will be £2K all in. If you want to go Rotrex then you'll get more power and better (lower down) power delivery but you'll also need to add a head spacer (de-compression) and then while you are at that, there will be other maintenance things to do. Probably come it at £2500 with a second hand kit (if you can find one)

The big problem will be availability as not many second hand VR6 SC kits about these days.

Agree with the above, i spent months looking for a kit/charger in the end i just got it from ECS Tuning in the states, I later found out that if you E-mail VF-Engineering (the manufacturers of the Vortech kit) they will make the kit up for you direct and send it straight to you, cutting out the middle man. BE WARNED though, as my kit ended up costing me just under 4k once i got A RSE F UCKED by customs with a whopping £750 import tax...

The thing is if you do buy a second hand charger on its own, so many other bits are needed to get the vr6 running as it should with a charger, it just makes life easier to get the kit as this included everything and i mean everything, that you need. The difficulty is finding a kit as 99% of companies in Europe who "stock" the kit don't have it and can no longer source it. Also maybe worth mentioning after alot of research the Vortech one seems to be the one to go for with the Rotrex receiving mixed opinions and bad experiences.

Prior to my charger (not yet fitted) I have fitted cams and although the gains are small, with a re-map it makes a nice difference. For the difference between £500 and £4000 i would just get some cams and see how you get on.

Yeah atm I will have around £1500 so I was thinking get a sc I would prob keep it untill I get the ££ for stealth remap

Or it's a set of 263s and have money left over not sure yet

If i was you, with that money, I would get Cams, Re-map, Iridium tip sparks and a stainless fanimold... you would still have money left over and would get some nice gains!

Depending if I can get one from the states and how much I'm an engineer for BA so return flights cost me £200 max so I could fly out too collect it

weather you collect it or not you still have to pay UK import tax... unless you somehow blag it into your suitcase and say its used and you took it out there with you in the first place...

You can build your own kit, that is what I did although you need to buy the right VF engineering bracket for the charger, that would be really hard to make as it's all CNC milled.

The rest, pipes, diverter valve plumbing, MAF relocation etc can all be DIY and didn't cost the earth. Also Vince can supply postal service on the mapping and that was just over £200.

Check out my thread http://www.the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=78385

I bought the charger with less than 5K miles, with the 3.25" pulley (6PSI) and the bracket, then made the rest and it came to just over £2K including mapping. plus I did some extra stuff like bought a brand new sump etc

Yeah I have been reading your thread good work.

It's my daily drive so i think I would need the kit.

Been on eBay loads but never find a kit for sale :-(

cheaper to fit a R32 and remap by all accounts now, though. Just a thought...

I thought about charging my VR, then it died. I've not even finished the R32 conversion yet and I'm already looking at chargers haha

I thought about charging my VR, then it died. I've not even finished the R32 conversion yet and I'm already looking at chargers haha

Best of both worlds. Beefy grunt below 4000rpm, beefy grunt above 4000rpm :D

I've been giving thought to a nice 8psi turbo kit for my MK4. Not being able to pull away from Vectra CDTIs until 100mph is wearing thing now :lol:

Best of both worlds. Beefy grunt below 4000rpm, beefy grunt above 4000rpm :D

I've been giving thought to a nice 8psi turbo kit for my MK4. Not being able to pull away from Vectra CDTIs until 100mph is wearing thing now :lol:

Yeah I think once the 3.2 is running and I've renewed a few suspension bits and other maintainence I'm going to start a charger fund, aiming for 340-350bhp, nothing groundbreaking!

I used to love baiting R32's in my old Q7 turbo'd derv Bora, they are awesome cars, just a little underwhelming performance in standard trim.

Yeah I have been reading your thread good work.

It's my daily drive so i think I would need the kit.

Been on eBay loads but never find a kit for sale :-(

You wont find a kit anywhere man.... not chance.. VF-engineering (In the U.S.A) only make them to order.

You wont find a kit anywhere man.... not chance.. VF-engineering (In the U.S.A) only make them to order.

Agree, since i bought mine in may, I have only seen one come up on VWVortex

I've just had a pm of someone who was going to sell a v1 kit for $1680 posted but he just said thT its too much hassle to send it :-(

Believe me, the shipping was an ABSOLUTE nightmare mate... if i new i had to pay £750 import tax i probably wouldn't have been so quick to buy it. If you do buy from out of Europe just be care/ be prepared. Apparently there are ways around it so that may be worth looking into.

Yeah I think once the 3.2 is running and I've renewed a few suspension bits and other maintainence I'm going to start a charger fund, aiming for 340-350bhp, nothing groundbreaking!

I used to love baiting R32's in my old Q7 turbo'd derv Bora, they are awesome cars, just a little underwhelming performance in standard trim.

You had a Q7 engine in your Bora?! Blimey, that sounds fun! How big was the engine? I knew R32s weren't terribly rapid before buying mine, but I'm in it for the long game :D Yeah that was what I had in mind too, around 350hp with a turbo or Rotrex. 8 psi from his royal turboness would get that easily and it's well under the stock intake bursting pressure too! I think you can even run the stock injectors at up to 350 horse too and it won't stress the MAF out too much either, so yeah, shouldn't be horribly expensive to do.

I've just had a pm of someone who was going to sell a v1 kit for $1680 posted but he just said thT its too much hassle to send it :-(

LOL, coming from the country where FedEx come to them to pick it up! Lazy sod.

You had a Q7 engine in your Bora?! Blimey, that sounds fun! How big was the engine? I knew R32s weren't terribly rapid before buying mine, but I'm in it for the long game :D Yeah that was what I had in mind too, around 350hp with a turbo or Rotrex. 8 psi from his royal turboness would get that easily and it's well under the stock intake bursting pressure too! I think you can even run the stock injectors at up to 350 horse too and it won't stress the MAF out too much either, so yeah, shouldn't be horribly expensive to do.

do you need to use a head spacer if you run 8psi on a charger?