vw bobby

Red Rear Lights

Evening All,

I just want some advise, basically I got a set of all red rear lights on my corrado, the only problem I am having is managing to get my indicators to flash amber? I initially had clear bulbs in there and it was flashing red, so I thought let me try orange bulbs, put them in and still flashes red. I am totally baffled now.

What bulbs does everyone use to allow it to flash amber through all red rear lights, please help, as I really want to keep the red lights on my car and do not want to revert back to the smoked one I have?

Cheers

Bobby

I was wondering this too as just got some all reds yesterday, when I've looked on the on here and on other forums it looks like green bulbs get suggested a lot but then there are plenty of people saying they've tried them and they're no where near bright enough? Then there is talk of using superbright amber Leds and resistors. Anybody got any experience of either?

Cheers

on the topic of all red rears, whats the best product out there for DIYing some originals.

I tried a sample bit but could only get pinky orange or bright red not a matching clear red like the brake half like i hoped.

i blamed myself and the can :(

well its going to be a trial and error process for me now. I have ordered a set of 382 green normal bulbs, I can get hold of amber led and green led's as well. So if these do not work these will be the next step. Do I need a resistor on these though?

If you try leds then I'd recommend the ones with the strips on the sides aswell as when I tried them before I bought some that only projected the light in a very narrow beam directly backwards and if you looked at them from any position than directly behind then they were barely visible....if that makes sense

That is very true and make sense, with the led lights though will I need a resistor and where does the resistor go? and is it easy to fit?

The simple and inexpensive fix is to use LED bulbs with the relevant resistors to make them flash at the correct speed. Using green bulbs will work to a degree but I never found them to be anywhere near bright enough. Use 102 SMD LED bulbs in conjunction with 50 watt resistors. Stick the resistors to the rear of the bulb holder with a number plate sticky and join one wire to the BL terminal and the other to the 31 terminal (either to either, it does not matter)

I have included a photo of a set of Mk3 Golf bulb holders below which I modified, the principle for the Corrado bulb holder is exactly the same, use the BL and 31 terminals.

I have also included the e-bay links for the bulbs and resistors

I have been running all reds with this modification for over three years and have yet to be stopped or failed an MOT test

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Car-1156-382-BA15S-P21W-White-102-SMD-LED-Tail-Brake-Signal-Light-Bulb-DC-12V-/370793075782?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5654fd5446

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-50W-load-resistor-for-signal-indicator-stop-led-bulb-/310224123640?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483acc76f8

PB240011.jpg

PB240010.jpg

Edited by leon263

The simple and inexpensive fix is to use LED bulbs with the relevant resistors to make them flash at the correct speed. Using green bulbs will work to a degree but I never found them to be anywhere near bright enough. Use 102 SMD LED bulbs in conjunction with 50 watt resistors. Stick the resistors to the rear of the bulb holder with a number plate sticky and join one wire to the BL terminal and the other to the 31 terminal (either to either, it does not matter)

I have included a photo of a set of Mk3 Golf bulb holders below which I modified, the principle for the Corrado bulb holder is exactly the same, use the BL and 31 terminals.

I have also included the e-bay links for the bulbs and resistors

I have been running all reds with this modification for over three years and have yet to be stopped or failed an MOT test

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Car-1156-382-BA15S-P21W-White-102-SMD-LED-Tail-Brake-Signal-Light-Bulb-DC-12V-/370793075782?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5654fd5446

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-50W-load-resistor-for-signal-indicator-stop-led-bulb-/310224123640?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483acc76f8

PB240011.jpg

PB240010.jpg

Quite.... works for me too. Nice n bright

If you cannot find 50 watt resistors anywhere, try 50 ohm.......

As that is the measurement of resistance. :smug:

If you cannot find 50 watt resistors anywhere, try 50 ohm.......

As that is the measurement of resistance. :smug:

I think that you will find that the resistors are 50 watt, 6 ohm ............... just do a search for 50 watt and keep it simple ............... everybody loves a smart ass!

Edited by leon263

They certainly are not that price. I've bought numerous sets from that source and the price has always been £6.99. When I posted that link last night the price was £6.99 .......... I've no idea where the extra £50 came from.

So these are just bright clear LEDs that produce an amber light through the red tint? Has anyone found ones that have a slightly less insane price tag?

According to the seller they are that price to stop you hitting the buy it now as they have no stock. New stock is on its way from China and they will be 6.99 again in ten days or so

Cool. Thank you! I still don't get how clear bulbs make amber light through a red tinted light though? Am I being special?

I'm hoping that the amber plastic will shine through the red tint??

I've bought the resistors as advised in the thread but have noticed that it says something about not fixing them to plastic as under continuous use they get hot. Of concern I suppose as if you ever need to use your hazards for any length of time (accident/breakdown etc) the last thing you need is melting plastic or worse.

They'd better look good or I'm going back to standard!

Edited by stuarttaylor37

Did the white LEDs work on the all red rears?

Was going to order some with some 50w6ohm resistore this afternoon as i have at least one set of all reds knocking about in the garage