cinadine

Cina's classic green vr6

Ps rich put a ramp in if you ever need it let me know

cheers for the offer may take you up on it at some point.

bit of an update not many pictures to go with, mechanic has finished doing the chains and tensioners he told me there wasn't much damage to the one that had snapped so must have caught it pretty early. managed to get new clutch fitted and paint various bits but its been slow going with easter factory shutdowns and what not.

set out this morning to get the block and box painted

IMG_0543_zps5609aacb.jpg

IMG_0542_zps0c841982.jpg

IMG_0541_zps13ca44ef.jpg

IMG_0540_zps0d3d18f8.jpg

weathers looking half decent for tomorrow so should have the engine back in the bay and most of the way back together, should hopefully see it running the weekend all going well.

finally got time to update this after finishing my final trade tests and factory shutdowns, managed to get everything back in the bay and the engine is running sweet as a nut now apart from 3 coolant leaks that are all a pain to get to, had to change the slave cylinder as well as the seal somehow turned inside out and split, its booked in this week for Mot so ill get my mechanic to sort the leaks. im hoping it should fly through as there doesnt seem to be anything wrong apart from bust heater controls which ill fix this week before it goes in.

not really had chance to get any pictures of the progress as iv had a lot on over the last couple of weeks but managed to get out over the bank holiday and get both my motors cleaned.

IMG_0557_zpsd8f771cb.jpg

Edited by cinadine

today the car went off with my mechanic to have the leaks sorted and its mot, just got it back and what a difference all the work has made its feels soo much better to drive aswell as nice and cool engine temps which make me worry less about giving it some beans. flew through its test only a couple of minor issues to sort out which shouldn't be too much hassle to fix.

IMG_0560_zpsecf3f8a3.jpg

Its not, used to be an mot tester, its just a comment that the tester put down in case vosa come calling, just covering his back.

He could put any comment in there like I used to do with my mates - loose nut behind the wheel. ;-)

When did having non standard suspension become an advisory?

I wondered that too, must be an over zealous tester...

My totally standard MK4 GTI had these pointless advisories:

'under trays fitted obscuring some underside components'

'engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay'

Was thinking of kicking up a fuss tbh

I don't think an mot tester is allowed to remove anything and by putting things like under trays fitted etc, he is giving himself a get out of jail free card incase somebody asks questions later.

So set out this afternoon to replace the heater controls as the fans wouldn't work on any speed setting, started to remove the old controls when I noticed the small copper contact on the speed control dial was I front of the copper strip which turned out to be the problem so ended up been a quick fix and now Iv got a unneeded control set

Hi there mate. As Mr Vag said another Yorkshire lad. I'm from Rotherham town. Been following your antics with the C nice job.

Where about's are you in Rotherham? Will have to meet up at some stage.

Edited by Ray1965

not had much time for corrado over the last couple of weeks with work and other things. Went up this morning to give it a little run as its been stood for 3 weeks and was greeted by leaking fuel lines and leaking injector seals, to say i'm a bit ****ed off is an understatement as its was fine before i parked it up. any ideas as to why they'd let go ?

nope just been feeding it shell 97 go juice, just completely stumped as to why it'd go from been completely fuel tight to a torrent in 3 weeks of being sat idle.

That is strange! Normally it's something in the fuel that rots rubber. My fuel lines are nearly 200k old and still nice and tight. Not put any additives in?

well problems dont rain they pour, managed to replace all the injector seals but in doing so looks like i might have dropped something into an inlet because there was loud rattle for 5 second and the engine seemed to choke after starting it back up. so now looks like the head has to come off to inspect the damage.

went up this morning to try work out the extent of the damage, car runs like an absolute bag of spanners sometimes barely idling so i stripped inlet manifold off to see if i could see anything. cylinder 5 inlet had a load of fuel sat in it and looks like the inlet valve has been pretty badly bent.

IMG_0583_zps7c07941e.jpg

Oh dear, looks expensive.

Not meaning to be critical, but I don't know why you removed the fuel rail and injectors in the first place?

However, good luck with the fix.

Oh dear, looks expensive.

Not meaning to be critical, but I don't know why you removed the fuel rail and injectors in the first place?

However, good luck with the fix.

one of the seals had given up so had a fairly large fuel leak, ended up being a rushed friday afternoon job before going pub which was probably the biggest downfall

had a steady day removing the head to see what damage has been done, not entirely sure whats going on there doesn't seem to be any bent valves just looks like there's been a bit of detonation in cylinder 5 as there seems to be a fair bit of blistering on the head and on the bottom edge of the cylinder, i will send the head to my mechanic to have it inspected and see if he can shed any light. there was only a very small probably 2mmx1mm long piece of stainless steel sitting in the cylinder which was likely a washer at some point in it life.

didnt take to long to get the head off seems like a pretty easy job just a pain in the as.

IMG_0588_zps5b898be2.jpg

this is a picture of the pitting on cylinder 5 not a great one but you can see it on the raised section.

IMG_0587_zps9d7083c1.jpg

I would assume the washer dropped into cylinder 5 and caused the problem. The marks on the cylider head may have been caused by the washer as it was being thrown around and squashed.

The valve does look bent in the picture, but that may have been just the camera angle making it appear bent.

Check the valve seats on the head for cylider 5 as any fragments of foreign metal can get caught inbetween the valve and valve seat and cause a mis fire and rough running due to the valve not seating correctly and losing compression.

Finally got around to getting this sorted in between daft work hours. sent the head to my mechanics to be stripped down and inspected, turns out valves are all straight and undamaged. So had the all the valves cleaned up along with the head and had the valves lapped in again with new stem seals for good measure. Re assembled the engine with a new head set and head bolts while i was at it, took a few hours to get it all sorted but first turn of the key it fired up as good as new just slightly rattly until the tappets re filled.

While the head was off at the mechanics i decided to replace the ebay special coilovers with some bilstein B4s that came with the car as i want to use it for work without breaking my back. Fitted new top mounts on the front while i was at it and a new rear bolt as one had snapped, now all the wheels area aligned right the ride is excellent, love how smooth it is now and it still corners reasonably well to say its 10ft off the ground.

The culprit for all the damage.

IMG_0595_zps6ce84ef8.jpg

4x4 corrado

IMG_0596_zpsadbdb384.jpg