quicky1980

OEM vs Aftermarket ECM - For the R32 AWD project

Some of you may be aware I'm progressing on a fairly big project and Ive reached a bit of a dilema and need some input. The project is a awd r32 and will hopefully run twin turbos as well as a few other tricks

The direction I was going with originally was to have OEM management with full mk4/5 wiring loom to essentially convert the corrado into a modern arrangement so that all the sensors etc (traction, stability, fuel priming etc) are as vw would have intended to be in a golf r32. (this was going to be done by essentially reshelling a golf r32 with a corrado shell)

However I'm hearing that the aftermarket ECM's are getting pretty good and offer allot of extras such as traction, haldex control?, power steering weight control (electronic assist steering ie corsa). Just worried of what I will likely loose compared to OEM (engine smoothness? etc etc??). I would imagine that the gains are perf tweaks, is that all??

Im looking for a bit of a debate to go on about which direction I should go for, and if its aftermarket what would be suggested and why.

Cheers

if you're going to be turbo'ing etc i'd defo be saying standalone is the way forward. Kev is realy the man to take advice from having done both.

if you happen to need oem ecu/wiring etc, let me know, mines due to go up for sale when i can be bothered!

sounds interesting...

This was one concept I was extremely keen on doing - that of a modern VW including all sensors etc in a Corrado shell. Wish you all the very best and will keep an eye on how you progress here

The DTA has launch control traction control you can run a couple of map's too the place where i got mine mapped up here had a Honda nsx in when i was there it was running the S80 and it had a couple of map's 520bhp or 700bhp the owner of the place said when they were out live mapping it they had to make sure it had been dry for a couple of day's prior to them turning over to the 700bhp map as it was a bit twitchy. My vote is for aftermarket.

OEM can also have traction control aswell.

Is cost an issue?

Are you buying a whole setup/car so you will have the OEM ECU, harness etc

I thought about this when I did the 1.8t and decided to stick with the proven OEM ECU that VAG have spent millions on ensuring the hardware is reliable.

The engine ECU will already be setup to work with the haldex ECU and if you choose, the ABS ECU and any others you use.

With the OEM you also have the standard OBD11 diags for fault finding the engine and haldex etc.

I'm sure there will be good reasons to go for aftermarket aswell

Remember Racelogic can be used for traction control and launch control. Id concentrate on have the car fueling correctly as thats the key with the turbo motor.

If you had the budget, I think Aftermarket works best. As said above, Kev is the man to ask. I would go for it if I had the money.

I should have said about budget as to do it all right with DTA doesn't come cheap with sensor's required on all four corner's to be able to run all the bell's an whistle's. And like everyone else has said Mr Haywire is the man to ask he was running the S80 on his.