vw bobby

Advise on DSLR Camera

Hi all,

I am a amateur when it comes to camera's and would love some advise.

My wife said to me yesterday she wants to buy me a camera and wants to spend £400 on one, what is the best one I should go for in that price bracket?

I will be using this camera for taking pics at car shows, holidays, family pics, days out etc.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby

Bobby, I'm on the lookout for a DSLR at the moment.

I've tried friends cameras and i'm going for a Nikon. I found it easiest to use - it was simple to change the aperture and shutter speed whilst looking through the viewfinder with my left eye. The Canon's are good too, but I just found the Nikon easier. half an hour reading the manual and I've never used auto mode since, so easy to pick how to use properly.

The 3100 has a 14.1mp processor and they come with a 18-55mm lense, which is perfect for most general photography. i borrowed a friends Nikon D40, which only has about 6mp and was really delighted with the results, to the upgraded 3100 will be perfect for me.

For your usage, it will be fine, unless you want to bow pics up to enormous size!

however, that said, any of Canon, Nikon or Pentax will give great results, it's just wht one you like using. Bet try a few out if you can borrow them.

Can't go wrong with a Canon, I've got a 1100D which is their base model and it's awesome. I paid £150 for mine 2nd hand so I sure £400 should get you something nice and maybe a spare lens as well.

Rog.

Definately take a trip to Jessops or other camera shop and have a go holding each one that is in your price range. It is important you like the feel of the camera, its shape, size, weight, position of controls etc. The spec of the camera is useful, but at the end of the day they all take very good pictures. How it feels to you is what makes the difference from day to day. Good luck with the search.

As a keen photographer I'd either spend my money on a cheap 550d canon or a good Fuji x10 2 best things on the market for the money right now, you don't need a pimp dslrunless ur blowing pics up to massive proportions. I've had a canon mark1 at 2k or recently I've used the ladies Fuji x10 an they are as much fun if not the Fuji more, he'll I use my canon 10d still an that's cracking for the money, or the canon g series are also great for the money, I still have a g9 that travels the world with me but you can get a lot newer than that.

Edited by geoffersmaher

Definately take a trip to Jessops or other camera shop and have a go holding each one that is in your price range. It is important you like the feel of the camera, its shape, size, weight, position of controls etc. The spec of the camera is useful, but at the end of the day they all take very good pictures. How it feels to you is what makes the difference from day to day. Good luck with the search.

Couldn't agree more with this. I think you'll struggle to get a bad camera these days as long as it's a known brand. Feel is very important, you need to feel comfortable with it. I went for a Sony alpha, partly because it was compatible with my Minolta lenses from my old 35mm slr. It wasn't the most highly rated, but I like it and am very happy with it.

Good deal Bill. I was thinking about a camera, never had one before....., but was thinking about a bridge camera. At that price I might have to go for that instead.

I use a Cannon 450D, I've had it for about 6 years and it gets used and abused and never treated with any form of respect or care :lol: I mainly use it on beaches etc so it's covered with sand and salt etc and its literally never put a foot wrong, highly recommended! :D

My missus recently bought a Canon EOS 700d, and I've *very* impressed with it. That's a bit over your price range, but keep an eye out on ebay for this guy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=%28eos%2Cef%2Cef-s%2Cspeedlite%29&_osacat=625&_catref=1&_ssn=canon_uk1&_nkw=%28eos%2Cef%2Cef-s%2Cef-m%2Cspeedlite%29&_sacat=625&_ipg=25

.. these are genuine canon factory refurbished models with full warranty and I've seen them selling a number of EOS 650D cameras with kit lens for £300 - £350 recently.