vw bobby

Disaster Today

Hi all,

Driving into work today and this is what happened to me, does anyone know what could of caused this?

20131008_090821_zpsc3b8c259.jpg

Cheers

Bobby

Dare I ask - stretched tyres? Must have been a pretty terrifying moment :|

Dare I ask - stretched tyres? Must have been a pretty terrifying moment :|

Yes streched tyres, but luckily I was at a slow speed

take the other wheels of and have a look at the inside of the tyre for any sign of rubbing.

What tyres are they? Budgets? If good quality ones send that picture to the manufacturers!

take the other wheels of and have a look at the inside of the tyre for any sign of rubbing.

What tyres are they? Budgets? If good quality ones send that picture to the manufacturers!

I will be checking this later tonight and they are Nankangs

I will be checking this later tonight and they are Nankangs

Also will the manufactures do anything as these are streched?

MyCorrado_zps9c6b30a3.jpg

MyCorrado2_zps169a1bd1.jpg

20130720_183654_zps4ab2eaa4.jpg

20130720_183634_zps8e668041.jpg

corrado2_zps91eaf664.jpg

corrado3_zps47b3354b.jpg

corrado_zps090d07e8.jpg

Bobby

Tyre sidewalls just aren't designed to be used like that.

You could have picked up a cut on the inside edge, under inflation will also cause the side walls to overheat and blow out.

At the end of the day its just a tyre, no ones hurt and that's a good thing :)

I have to agree. I think if you approach the tyres manufacturers, they'll simply tell you that you're not using the tyres in the way they're designed.

didnt realised they were stretched! what size tyre is it on what J? Tbh i think rubbing on the spring plat form is the one, mine only miss it by literally 2mm, so its easy to see how this could happen

Couldnt have anything to do with those universal spacers could it?

I had a tyre rubbing on a spring before and you could easily smell it AND it had a distinctive spring profile shape in it. SUrely if the wheel/tyre clears the suspension, it clears the suspension, unless something is loose or a severely worn bush is allowing movement.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Cheap tyres and too much stretch in my view mate

Bit harsh, nangkang arnt that bad! Could be alot worse! When i bought my C it was on... wait for it... FIRE STONES!!!!!! EPIIIIIIIIC! :scratch:

Most tyres aren't that bad but when they're asked to perform above and beyond, NangChukkas clearly aren't up to it. Bridgestone for example have MUCH stronger sidewalls and could have withstood that for a lot longer ;)

Most tyres aren't that bad but when they're asked to perform above and beyond, NangChukkas clearly aren't up to it. Bridgestone for example have MUCH stronger sidewalls and could have withstood that for a lot longer ;)

Check these bad boys!!!! hahahah

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-225-40-18-92W-XL-LANDSAlL-NEW-CHEAP-TYRES-PAIR-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-225-40-18-/261299259091?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item3cd6a646d3

TBH Bobby, those are stretched way beyond what most would consider safe. Just be glad no one was hurt and take it as a lesson. 9.5" wheels are just way too wide for a Corrado. Not sure if they are available in a slightly higher sidewall but 45 profile are suggested for 16" rims, although with that amount of stretch anyway your speedo is probably outside the recommended limits. You've been lucky, so although those wheels look great, it maybe time to move them on and put it down to experience.

Wow!, never seen a tyre in that state before. Given that sidewalls are continually under stress flexing with every revolution I'm not totally suprised something like that happened though being stretched out as they seemed to be.

Dude, you're the reason people argue over the safety of stretched tyres. To let your tyres get to that state without any awareness they were rubbing is ridiculous. If you are going to heavily modify wheels/tyres/suspension you have to have an idea what you're doing and check everything for safety. 205/40 is excessive on a 9.5, you must know that. To ask if a manufacturer will take responsibility? Come on! I run 205/40's on a 9 & 215/35's on a 9 on different cars, so don't think I'm anti stretch, but what you've done, without checking possible outcomes is f**king stupid. Be thankful no one got hurt.

Also will the manufactures do anything as these are streched?

:lol:

Couldnt have anything to do with those universal spacers could it?

Please tell me you put those in the photos for a laugh and you're not running them on your car.

Bit harsh, nangkang arnt that bad! Could be alot worse! When i bought my C it was on... wait for it... FIRE STONES!!!!!! EPIIIIIIIIC! :scratch:

Firestones>Nankang ADL.

Dude, you're the reason people argue over the safety of stretched tyres. To let your tyres get to that state without any awareness they were rubbing is ridiculous. If you are going to heavily modify wheels/tyres/suspension you have to have an idea what you're doing and check everything for safety. 205/40 is excessive on a 9.5, you must know that. To ask if a manufacturer will take responsibility? Come on! I run 205/40's on a 9 & 215/35's on a 9 on different cars, so don't think I'm anti stretch, but what you've done, without checking possible outcomes is f**king stupid. Be thankful no

one got hurt.

:lol:

Please tell me you put those in the photos for a laugh and you're not running them on your car.

Firestones>Nankang ADL.

This is why I like you. You crack me up man. Hahahahaha. Here here!!!!!!

Guys these were the wheels and tyres that were on the car when I bought the car.

In regards to those stupid spacers, they were again with the car, I actually have these ones:

http://www.g23engineering.com/products/custom/offset-bolt-type-adapter.html

Which are 20mm Offset Bolt Type Adapter to allow fitment for these wheels, from a 4x100>5x120, those stupid littles spacers are on there just to dive it a little bit of extra poke, they would not have caused this.

In regards to the inner tyres wall, when I bought the car, it did not have the right adapters on there and noticed a bit of rubbing on the suspension on the inner tyre wall.

Then when I bought the right adapters I fitted the wheel and checked for clearance and there was about a inch of clearance between the suspension and the tyres. I have drove the car with these adapters on there for over 4 weeks or so and had no issue, and then suddenly this happened, so that is what has got be baffled. The only thing I can come to to running with not enough air in the tyre?