deamon90002004

uprating headlights

hey all, i know this has been done to death, i've found all the instructions and diagrams, everyone suggested a 30amp fused realy, but could i use this one? reason im asking is, the relay is fused to 40amp but continuous running 30amp, would i then have to run a fuse inline too?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_756415_langId_-1_categoryId_255229

There's no fuse in that relay, it's just what it's rated at - ie, if you try and draw 60 amps through it, it'll melt.

You still need a 30 amp fuse :)

the spade connectors you'll connect to those rated relays are likely to be rated well below that,

Power = Volts x Current

14V x 4 main beam bulbs @ 60W = 240/14 =17Amps

or with illegal 100W bulbs:

14V x 4 main beam bulbs @ 100W = 400/14 =29Amps

but I'd always use one relay for left and one for right, that way if a relay sticks you don't lose all your lights in one go!

that was the plan to run one relay per light, but i was just gonna do the dipped beam as im running 100w bulbs happily on the full beam and don't want the extra power

and that corrado looks like it just needs a wash and a good polish ;)

Cant recommend Kurzy's triple relay kit enough, good bright lights on main and dipped with proper bulbs...quality kit as well. Why would you bother with anything else?

Cant recommend Kurzy's triple relay kit enough, good bright lights on main and dipped with proper bulbs...quality kit as well. Why would you bother with anything else?

is that one of the members on here that sells a pre made loom?

I have osram night breakers with uprated light loom and it's amazing!, but I will be fitting projector lights soon, had hiss on most my cars an they are a worthy upgrade

I have osram night breakers with uprated light loom and it's amazing!, but I will be fitting projector lights soon, had hiss on most my cars an they are a worthy upgrade

If the uprated loom and osram night breakers are amazing why would you want to fit projector lights?

Won't they scatter light without the modern projector reflectors and lenses and just blind other road users?

is that one of the members on here that sells a pre made loom?

yes m8, KUR2Y is his user name.

Ive had one of his looms on my VR for about 18 months & the difference is astonishing.

I recently fitted one to my gf's storm as well ;)

very highly recommended & great service with excellent quality & results

the uprated loom, does it put a little bit more strain on your bulbs over the original loom? because the bulbs i've got, i've had over 2 years

No it wont. The original wiring goes all over the place round the car which means there's a voltage drop. ALl the loom does it "short cut" the wiring, making it more direct from the battery thus a lower voltage drop. This doesnt strain the bulbs. Though for the sake of a tenner for 2 x Osram night breakers off ebay, id replace them at the same time.

No it wont. The original wiring goes all over the place round the car which means there's a voltage drop. ALl the loom does it "short cut" the wiring, making it more direct from the battery thus a lower voltage drop. This doesnt strain the bulbs. Though for the sake of a tenner for 2 x Osram night breakers off ebay, id replace them at the same time.

I don't need to get night breakers as im already running 120% brighter bulbs anyway

Out of interest, has anyone fitted HID's to their rado? Way brighter than normal lamps and draw less power.

Rog.

They work well in modern projector lamps but not a Corrado's refracted lenses. I think the requirement for self levelling and washers is also a legal grey area.

Funny you should mention about levellers and washers, the mot rules have changed this year to include self levelling and washers if HID's are fitted, I guess it's a way to get rid of all the illegal kits that many have fitted.

I had them fitted on my last Honda CRX, yes they were bloody bright but as someone mentioned earlier the beam pattern wasn't very good, I guess the rado lights would suffer the same problem.

They do suffer with that. I think it was "MysticRado" or "MysticStorm" or some such chap fitted them to his Corrado and did a lot of work / research on it. He also concluded beefing up the loom with better bulbs was the way to go.

Thanks for clearing up the legality of aftermarket kits! I suspected the Ministry of Transport would try and banish them as they can distract people and cause accidents if the beam isn't projected properly! Cars fitted with HID as standard are annoying enough as it is and it's been done properly!

Funny you should mention about levellers and washers, the mot rules have changed this year to include self levelling and washers if HID's are fitted, I guess it's a way to get rid of all the illegal kits that many have fitted.

I had them fitted on my last Honda CRX, yes they were bloody bright but as someone mentioned earlier the beam pattern wasn't very good, I guess the rado lights would suffer the same problem.

Oh dear looks like I'll be changing over for mot time then :/

I thought the rules on levelling and washing systems was such that they have to work IF FITTED so if you have HIDs and levelling and washing systems fitted they must work, but if those two systems are not fitted, it's not a problem.

I'd be happy to be shown to be wrong though - aftermarket HID kits on non-projector lenses are just poo and blind everyone. Reflector lenses are just not designed for HIDs