eugopnosaj

Audi A5 vs Scirocco

Which car  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which car

• Audi A5
    • Scirocco
    • Neither!

I'm currently running a Scirocco 2.0 GTi as a daily having previously had a MK2 TT prior to going to Oz. The advantage with a new(ish) car is how much better the ventilation and noise deadening is compared to say the Corrado. The fit and finish on my Audi was better than the VW. The Scirocco has a few nasty plastics but overall it's a good car. With either the Scirocco or a coupe A5 the doors are massive so multi-storey or supermarket parking can be a tight fit.

Wow this opened up a can of worms! Very mixed reviews I see, every one of them valid I guess. Its not that I want to get rid of the 'rado just annoyed with the fact there is always something new that goes wrong and I was getting to the end of my tether!

I like the looks of both and agree that the A5 would be more of a tourer rather than sporty but then more power options are available than the Scirocco. I couldn't afford the S line and definately not the RS, same goes for the Scirocco R. I'd probably be looking more around the 2.0 TFSI or TDI mark. I don't do many miles so maybe the Scirocco would be more fun as I only work 6 miles away, although some of the roads are quite nice around there...

Maybe the money would be better spent tuning the VR? She is currently down on power, I already have heated leather seats and I'm about to do a climatronic conversion with A/C so will be getting that set up nicely...

I was just going with the fact that I could get in the car and know that I shouldn't have to worry about anything going wrong!

Drive them and find out, you will then realise how old the corrado feels.

If your only doing 6 miles dont get a diesel. The TSI engine can be mapped to about 260-270bhp quite easily and no cambelt to worry about. Scirocco also seem to hold thier value quite well from what Ive seen. No real inherint problems but stay away from the 1.4 versions.

I didnt vote, but I am a tad biased, we are on our second A5 now. Our first was a 2 door coupe and our latest one is a facelift daytona grey S-line sportback.

One of the reasons for going for the sportback was we had a baby and needed the hatchback and more doors to make it easy getting her in and out.

The point Bullfinch made about the doors is a good one, massive on the coupe but not quite as bad on the Sportback, so if you have a narrow drive its something to think about.

We have noticed a big difference in the tech from the 2008 model to the 2012 one, built in satnav and the lighting are much more modern and if Im honest, have made the old style led lights look a bit "Halfords"

We are the same as you, dont do a lot of miles, so we opted for the 1.8tfsi but specced it up, mainly because it has two single exit pipes either side, (which looks as though it could be a bigger engine than it is) and would rather have xenons, sat nav, s line heated leather etc etc, than a bigger engine.

If you do go A5, and judging by what you said about budget, just make sure the windows work ok and are not crunching. Its a common fault and some dealers are fixing under goodwill, if not its a 500 pound bill off the bat.

I do like the Scirocco, but for some reason I just dont see it as a coupe and more of a hatchback, style wise.

Dougie

Edited by corrado wannabe
spooling mistakes

Golf R trying too hard? Not trying hard enough imo :D

Mk6+Golf_R_03.jpg

It looks youthful and nimble, in keeping with our young and spritely members :lol: It also has gen 4 or 5 Haldex, 320+hp capable from just a remap, excellent quality cabin, super rigid bodyshell. What's not to like!

The A5 looks like a rep's car. It's just a big barge for people who feel they are too young / too good for a Passat.

I think the a5 coupe is one of those shapes that will still look great in years to come... Timeless. The scirocco has already dated and the back looks especially bad- alien like and ttries to hard. I must say thOugh that I am biased as I am looking at a 2008 A5 3.2 white with tan leather and 40 k on the clock, Keep my C then for weekends.......last coupe that I think looked as good as the a5 was the Pininfarina 405. Corrado has to be up there with the best of the coupes though... Thick set with a set of bandy legs out back!!

was 50/50 untill you reminded me of that rear end. A5 coupe Black edition all day long.

you'd have to spec up an A5 to make it more interesting.. Scirocco looks great though.. I couldn't decide

Kev,

I certainly dont fit with your assumption of A5 owners and I dont think the OP was wanting to be pidgeon holed for the cars he was looking to buy, we get you like the Golf R :p but it wasnt one of the choices :rolleyes:

Byrd, that is fairly similar to our old one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76107[/ATTACH]