marshole82

VR or valver?

Thanks mate a lot of blood sweat and tears have gone into that machine!

Well ill it'll be around till after Christmas that's for sure :)

I've had a KR in my old MK2 Golf, and ran it side by side for a while with the VR when I got that. They are both fantastic engines, and while they both take a while to get going, they do feel very different to drive.

The KR pulls okay up to 4.5k, nothing epic, but it does match/exceed the torque of the 1.8 8v (though it doesn't feel like it) which was famed back in the day for it's mid-range pull. Then at 4.5k you get a bit of a kick and it pulls and pulls and pulls all the way to the red line.

The VR is super lazy low down - I was underwhelmed when I test drove mine for the first time. If you start at about 1.5k-2k rpm it just seems to take forever to gain revs, then things eventually improve and when you get to 4k it takes off with brutal acceleration which the KR just doesn't match. It performs well up to the red line too, though the limiter kicks in well before the KR's does.

I felt I had to wring the neck out of the KR to get the best out of it - it's pretty loud and unrefined (in a sporty, raw kind of way) when it gets up the range. But then that's what makes it fun to drive - it makes you work hard to get every last bhp out of it. I've never driven a Corrado with a KR, but it is slightly heavier.

With the VR, it's lazy, but you always feel that a change down in gear will wake it up and bring it back to life. It's much more refined, easier to drive, and the noise is epic. It's pretty mild mannered around town, but if you open up the induction a little (BMC) and get it onto the open road, and you feel like you might be driving a supercar.

Lol I'm not allowed one until I'm married....in september!

I'm holding out hope of finding one for a tun that's perfect lol

Put ya foot down son , tell er in doors your buying it and that's that ! Lol

Just to throw a spanner in the works have you ever tried or thought of a G60? Handles a bit better than a Vr as less nose weight, and the sound of the Glader is addictive.

I've owned both, and all I can do is reiterate what everyone else has said. I loved my KR, and if it was for daily duties, I'd be more than happy with it. For a weekend toy though, the VR comes into its own. They both need a good ragging to get going, and the KR flies up the revs pulling all the way from about 3.5-4k, yet the VR still feels a little slow and lazy in comparison. You do however get a good kick from about 4-4.5k, which a mate of mine said it was akin to the v-tec kicking in on his EP3 Civic Type R. The noise is very addictive so you tend to keep revs up just for the sake of it! They both have their pros and cons, and some say there is no discernible difference in handling, but others (me included) think the VR is quite nose heavy. I cannot remember ever experiencing understeer in the KR, yet I often do with the VR. The KR was very easy to throw around town where you just wanna point and go. The KR is more raw and unrefined though imo, and although the VR cannot really be called refined, its a nice quiet cruiser until awoken, and has the power on tap at any speed with a quick shift down or foot to the floor. One phrase that rings true though - There's no replacement for displacement.

The KR was very easy to throw around town where you just wanna point and go. The KR is more raw and unrefined

This is the attraction. I do 8 miles to and from work and have a family diesel for day trips. KR still wins my vote. Its only really the noise of a VR that is tempting me.

I don't need 190bhp.....

Yeah that's interesting Kev just how close the R32 Corrado / Golf are in performance.

My money's on the Corrado all the way :awesome:

Regarding the MK5 Golf that must be why VW bolted a big turbo to that GTI engine,

to try and make it perform well due to it's extra weight then compared to that of the MK4 Golf like you say Kev.

New cars just seem to be getting heavier which is a bit pants.

I haven't really commented on the G60 as I've never really driven one,

I can understand why people may be weary of them due to some of the stories of the G-charger / engine letting go,

but as long as it's serviced it should be ok really.

I suppose if you add a lot more BHP to the engine but then don't strengthen it up,

with stronger pistons / con-rods / bearings and so on,

then may be things can let go more often then they should, so to speak.

I haven't really looked in to the performance differences, if any that is,

with the MK2 Golf G60 and the Corrado G60,

I know the Golf is a few KGs lighter then the Corrado,

but then the Corrado has a more aerodynamic body shell.

And the other thing is, do they both run with the same gearbox as each other ??

I'll be dreaming about Corrado's tonight :luvlove: CORRADO :lol:

Cheers.

Si

I think you've already made your mind up mate. :D You can pick up a good early Valver for much less than a grand imo. I was lucky as the previous owner didn't really know what he had - (spec on my sig) and I only paid £550 for it. :smug: Bodywork was average, and apart from a new battery, ripping out the old ebay uprated headlight loom that was causing the battery drain that eventually killed it, and removing the aftermarket immobiliser that caused it to not start, it was faultless in my ownership.

Seanl82, I have made up my mind about my next car umpteen times:

330ci

540i

M5

Mazda MPS

306 GTI6

205 GTI

MK4 4mo

Merc SEC 500

Not to mention the corrados in all shape and form lol

Until I have the money I'll probably explore many more opportunities. But when I think about it, the rado was the coolest most fun car I've ever owned.

Best of luck on your search for a corrado. And if you still can't make your mind up ask about to see if there are any owners close to you that wouldn't mind givin you a go. My mate had a nugget yellow valver for 15 years and still regrets selling it! He prefferred it to my old g60 as it suited his driving style.

/\ Yeah exactly! BMW forums have exactly the same debate with the 335d vs M3. Diesel is great for pulling a couple of car lengths on someone caught napping in the wrong gear / rpm, but if the M3 driver and 335d driver were both alert and Mr M3 was in the right gear and uses the full rev range, it would waste the 335d every time :)

I've yet to drive a diesel that has a broad enough power band to worry a well driven petrol of the same hp.

But diesel is fun in a point and squirt way. Just a shame the fun ends just as it gets started. Very frustrating!!

I had a 2003 golf gti 150 diesel which was mapped by mrc tuning in banbury, (audi rs tuners) and its been the closet thing to a revvy petrol engine yet. It would fly round to 5250rpm and hit the limiter, none of this treacle i need to change gear feeling, it was just bang next gear just like a vr.

Unfortunatly i was hoping my remapped 330d would be the same but no, i have to change at 4200rpm according to the rolling road printout and i can certainly feel the power tail off past this point, but 370lbft at 2250rpm makes up for it:-D

A for kr or vr? the vr6 also makes a great grand tourer as its a nice flexible lump and cruises comfortably on the motorways, vr6 everytime for me