Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Chipsaway - miracle workers.

VR6 Storm

For £120 I have just had done in my drive the removal of a gouge on rear bumper, work at corner of filler cap recess and a few stone chips.

Guy spent 3 hours on it and work on bumperin particular is nothing short of miraculous - cant see where it was even.

Recomended

where about are they based......being a francghise....i guess it will vary...... but i might get the same guy as you.

Dont spose u have before and after pics??? I dont know if my dent/scratch from a another car's door is chipsaway-able.

Andrew

West Calder based. Father and son have franchise.

Tel 01506 871891

They will come and give estimate first.

I first saw father working on car at VW Bathgate (Inch) about 2 years ago and got brochure from him.

he's coming to give me a quote on tuesday morning. I hope my dink will sort..... otherwise my summer will be poo. (because i am really quite obsessive!! - I dont see a car just now.... I see a rear 1/4 with a dink and a scratch!!!)

Obsessional Andy,

I'm familiar with this minor mental illness you have.

I was cured temporarily many years ago when I started using a Citroen Dyane instead of our newish bronze metallic Manta which was dented when a lorry reversed into it. - I had to helplessly watch it happen.

Cars like the Dyane give you a great feeling of "couldnt care less" about dents/scratches/squeaks, possible collisions, etc.

The release and peace of mind is something else.

A fond memory of the Dyane is being on the outside lane of the M8 on 4 inches of slush croozing past fat-tyred cars like a Triumph Stag and feeling rock steady due to the thin, weedy tyres on the Citroen cutting thro the slush to the tarmac below.

Basic motoring has its thrills too.

What a pain in the butt it is always worrying about whether some wifie's shopping basket is going to blemish the paintwork on you pride and joy.

hate to p1ss on your fireworks guys....i work as a paintsprayer at a main dealers, sales choose to use chips away to tart up the sales cars

these guys use horible paint and it will look rank within a year or so, it hasnt got the smae quality as stuff you use in an oven

and....its a right nghtmare to repaint properly,as we often re do their work when customers complain :p

id rather touch bits in with a brush or save for a pukka job....its only worth using if your selling quick

in my case.....its to stop it anoying me while i wait for a pucker job. But thanks for letting us know what to expect!

Just to add my twopennys worth, A mate of mine had them do some bumper scuffs on his Audi and it looked mint straight afterwards but 12 months later the paint has gone all funny and matt.

This is not a criticism but just a heads up as they certainly did a great job if you just want a temporary tart up.

I would however really recommend a guy called dent wizard in north kent. He took five or six small dents out of my last C just after I brought it. You couln't even tell that they existed after he had finished so it was £100 well spent.

Just to add my twopennys worth, A mate of mine had them do some bumper scuffs on his Audi and it looked mint straight afterwards but 12 months later the paint has gone all funny and matt.

This is not a criticism but just a heads up as they certainly did a great job if you just want a temporary tart up.

appreciate the warnings.....and i am in no doubt that the two of you are correct.....but surely some discoloured matted paint looks better and more importantly protects better than no paint, so either way its still an improvement of sorts!!

appreciate the warnings.....and i am in no doubt that the two of you are correct.....but surely some discoloured matted paint looks better and more importantly protects better than no paint, so either way its still an improvement of sorts!!

yeah sure...its just some people ( me for example ) are very fussy and want the best :wink:

I hope my dink will sort..... otherwise my summer will be poo. (because i am really quite obsessive!! - I dont see a car just now.... I see a rear 1/4 with a dink and a scratch!!!)

in my case.....its to stop it anoying me while i wait for a pucker job. But thanks for letting us know what to expect!

yeah sure...its just some people ( me for example ) are very fussy and want the best :wink:

I think the fact I am going to this length shows that I would not slap any old shite on my car. If you can afford a full respray at the drop of a hat, then maybe I ought to change career plans.

I have seen the results of this type of work and the guys are correct about it not lasting too long. But if you keep the area polished (which no doubt you will but "normal" people wouldn't ) it shouldn't go matt as quickly I would say.

Chips Away washes away after a year or two from the work i've seen, looks great then looks a mess later

polish wont help much...the paint is bad qaulity and the sun/salt/winter will kill it, it usually goes very dull and the laquer will go yellow and craze

each to their own...if your happy thats great im glad, but id be going spastic if they painted my car!