robrado974

Which multi meter ?

I need to buy a multi meter . Looking online the prices vary a lot . What have you got ? What's the Best value for me dough .

Thanks

Rob

I've got a Fluke but they are at the higher end of the market. Tbh Rob, anything cheap that'll measure voltage, resistance, current and continuity will serve you well, regardless of price. I had an old ten pound jobbie from B&Q before and it did exactly what I needed, it just wasn't waterproof unfortunately.:rolleyes:

Thanks Sean , usually when something is priced at £5.99 and another at £89.99 you think somewhere in between would be good , but for under a tenner it must be crap . Just need to read up on how to use one now lol .

Rob

I'm not a fan of the buzzer option personally. I use a meter daily and have learnt to never trust the buzzer function. Always had fluke go digital display and fused leads not sure if there is another option

I suggest getting a clamp meter, does everything what a basic multimeter but measures Amps as well,

I got mine 2nd hand off ebay, here's one from `maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/uni-trend-203-dc-ac-current-clamp-multimeter-629713

Also, to add,

I don't like autoranging multimeters, they take too long to stabilise their readings, we normally know the voltage range we need to test on cars, 0-20V range

Edited by J.C

I would suggest a multimeter with auto-off function.. cant remember all the times I needed my multimeter and its dead from being left on for weeks.

I would suggest a multimeter with auto-off function.. cant remember all the times I needed my multimeter and its dead from being left on for weeks.

+1 for sure!!!

4 things I find useful in a meter:-

1) Backlit LCD for those dark areas

2) Current measurement of at least 20A for parasitic load tests.

3) A range of lead ends, including crocodile clips.

4) Buzzer for continuity testing

The price difference is sometimes caused by option 2 as it needs much heavier duty circuitry.

Looks good to me mate. Pretty standard design for the more robust and class leading meters of a few years ago so cant go wrong with that!

Edited by seanl82

Looks ok to me too , thanks very much for everybody's input .

Rob

Temp function is what I'm needing, my meters are an ancient micronta and a couple of aldi cheapies. I'm going to get that one above.