Sign in to follow this  
randal

Advice on shocks...

I'm looking at getting a set of bilstein "streetline" shocks to replace the sachs things I've got on there at the moment, and drop the car 40mm or so. Don't have the money for coilovers, and there's a few other things I want to get done too - so I'm opting for the more economic solution. Has anyone had any experience with these, or can anyone recommend a better shock for about the same kinda price (150-200)?

Thanks in advance

randal

had a streetline kit on my old, old mk2

it was superb, not a patch on what i have now...but compared to std there was no comparison...£ for £ an excellent mod......tho one of the rear shocks did die within 18months......but for the £220 i paid for the kit...cant grumble.

Cool Cool! Was a little concerned about 45 quid shocks, but that's good news. Did you end up just replacing the shocks, or did you do all the top mounts and stuff too?

ta

randal

at the time....i had already done the front bushes... but i didnt replace the top mounts (it was back in the day, when i was young and carefree!).... and I soon after replaced the rear bushes........top mounts on the car are still the same...and my mums husband loves it!!!

Cool, I'll stick bushes and top mounts on my list of to-do's too then. Might as well I guess, saves doing them at a later date. Oh god, that sounded almost responsible! AAARRRRGGG!!! :lol:

oh god..... here we go.

right.... this is my opinion:

you want as little play in the suspension as possible. period. i have bonrath poly bushes front and rear which are pletty damn hard. I have std G60 top mounts, but would seriously consider upgrading to spherical bearing top mounts if i had the cash just now...... around £170 for aluminium ones from AAT, most people upgrade to vr6 top mounts, only for the durability factor - afiak there is no differnece in the squishy-ness.

bonrath bush kit is about £80, got it from german car company, who now seem to be M.I.A. - there are other bonrath dealers. sinse you will have the wishbones off, you may as well change the bottom ball joints too.

you may want to get stiffer ARB bushes, too....no recomendation there as i just got vag ones....i wanted to see what i wanted once i ran the car if that makes sense!

I think I might just go for the VR6 top mounts then, and just replace the bushes/ball joints with VW ones for the time being. Reason for this is I need money for the SS exhaust + respray! Thanks for your thoughts Andy, much obliged.

Cheers :D

VR6 front top mounts are not squishy! Drop a car on them and they deform by a mm at most! They are really quite hard!

Many people don't like the ride that results from using solid poly bushes. Personally I'm of the opinion that new VW bushes will drastically out-perform 10 year old VW bushes, and will therefore feel worthwhile as an improvement..

VR6 top mounts are firmer than G60/16V ones.

If you want to upgrade the bushes but don't want the stifness of plastic ones, there's always the Vibratechnics option. They do metal/rubber hybrid bushings for the wishbones and rear axle etc.

One thing worth noting is that non-VW bushes in the back axle removes the passive steering effect. How effective that actually is, is debatable. I only really feel the rear wheels turn-in when *really* hammering it around bends and it does seem to prevent the front wheels from pitching on the ragged edge.

Just depends what your preferences are. I'm an old git and like my suspension to be compliant to compliment my M&S slippers.

K

Ah OK, as much as I want performance I really do value my ride comfort. Maybe the VR6 mounts ain't such a hot idea. Standards all round it is :) Wish my car was only ten years old, 14 and still going strong - only just hit 100K too.

Kev, how much do Vibratechnics pay you?? :D :D :D :D

i have had bugpac poly's before, they were fine and will be cheaper than the bonrath ones...... front kit only available tho....

Just called up a place as an enquiry, they said I might have to replace the rear spring plates?? Never heard of this before, I kinda figured that if I was buying a Bilstein suspension kit for a Corrado - it would have everything I need to get cracking (aside from mounts/bushes).... Now I'm all confused. Arrg. :|

The spring plates are what the top of the spring pushes against. There is also a rubber ring that the springs locate into and this sits between the spring and spring plate. They can rust quite badly so its best to replace them. GSF do both the plate and rubber and they aint expensive.

If you're doing the job yourself, you'll need a spring compressor to do the front top mounts - possible to use heavy duty cable ties (as I have in the past) but beware.

possible to use heavy duty cable ties

:lol: :? 8)

Obviously compress the springs with adjustable "grips" before attaching the cable ties :roll:

Obviously compress the springs with adjustable "grips" before attaching the cable ties :roll:

yep,ive seen that done loads of times...even seen someone transfer gas for a mig welder from a big bottle to the mig welder bottle with a piece of copper pipe :lol:

yep,ive seen that done loads of times...even seen someone transfer gas for a mig welder from a big bottle to the mig welder bottle with a piece of copper pipe :lol:

I've used this method on the last 3 sets of front springs that I've changed :roll: