Jamie

Illuminated Heater Control Home Made DIY

Something I've been playing about with. Still needs a little bit of tweaking to get it sitting nicely but I'm pretty happy with it so far

F6CE776C-F6C6-41E5-B59C-227D3A8930D2.jpg

I'm hoping that this answers one of my questions. Aren't they normally illuminated? I was surprised as to how dark that area of the dash is at night, I figured that some bulbs had blown!

It's EL wire. Gonna have to have a rethink though because I've cut most of the strengthening ribs away from around the middle dial, yet I'm still not happy with how it sits. Stay tuned...

I fitted digital climate control in mine as I got sick of the poor lighting and delicate dials! Doesn't really help though does it! I'll just get my hat...

Would love to do the climatronic conversion but it's just far too much work. Maybe one day...

Is noisy? I have done the el sheet mod on mine and when switched on they make an audible high pitched noise. At first I thought it wa the transformer but after wrapping it in sound deadening I discovered that it is the el sheet making the noise.

I assume the wire is flexible enough to form around the dials? Have you used white wire with filters for the colours?

Nope no noise whatsoever. The inverter does make a high pitched noise but where I've located it you barely hear it and not at all when the engines running. The wires flexible enough but it doesn't sit flush enough round the centre dial for my taste. My mate said he couldn't see the difference but I can so it will always be gnawing away. So I'm having a rethink at the minute but I'll get there. I used lime green, navy blue and red wires.

Funnily enough I ordered some of these early last week. eBay Chinese affairs but thought I'd see how it looks first. How did you attach them? I'm thinking glue gun on the back of the dial faces........