Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Still..... Smoking

No mate, most oils burn blue regardless of how long it's been in the engine. Cat converters tend to incinerate some of the oil so it may come out as a grey/blue rather than the usual rich blue when it's *really* burning the stuff.

Get a leakdown test done mate. Only way to be sure. There shouldn't be any air leaks through the head but there maybe some past the rings. Trouble is, a gas tight head will soon highlight worn rings.

K

You need to definately check that the valve guides HAVE been replaced - talking to some garages and believe it or not it is not standard procedure! - So when you ask for that head work you need to ask what they are doing... some just de-coke, lap in the valves and skim the head which I personally think is a joke....

If you were told by the garage your bores were fine and you have the compression and leakdown tests done and it proves the bottom end is at fault I would be going to have a little chat at the garage!!! :mad:

This is why I am a little iffy about doing the head on my VR6 (due to start this weekend but been put off for two weeks due to racing in BRCA championships :lol: ) and is why I am first getting compression / leakdown tests done first..... especially since I have never suffered from the smoke haze of a cold start - is ALWAYS on over run.... NEVER smokes at any other time....

If it is bore wear then I shall sell it ! :shock:

Scott.

PS. Doing compression tests tonight....

Oh well, Maybe I shall pay more attention to the colour next time. Thing is, I've changed my driving still alot to try to prevent the situations that cause it from happening. So, I dont get it happening alot unless I am checking to see if it is still doing it which always make me unhappy :(

Just have to live with it for the moment.

ta

simon

Scott, I would be very interested in the outcome of your test. Whatever the reason is, we must have the same problem. Keep me updated!!

cheers

simon

Keep an eye on this thread mate - I will be posting up accurate compression figures tonight. I am struggling to find a garage to do a leakdown test - they all want to do compression tests!!! MUPPETS!! :mad:

If it is bore wear then I shall sell it ! :shock:

Scott..

Hoping the potential buyer doesn't look out of the back on over-run :wink:

LOL.... do the old motor trade trick of putting 50W grade oil in it :wink:

Can't believe you'd sell...... trust me, Cs are worth the perserverance...... providing you can afford it :roll:

Right!!! :)

Compression figures.... :

No.1 - 160psi

No.2 - 160psi

No.3 - 159psi

No.4 - 159psi

No.5- 161psi

No.6- 160psi

Now they arent as high as they should be - but I suspect being that they are all equal that I can rule out bore wear in general. I suspect lost compression due to valve guides / ineffective sealing of the exhaust valves.....

What do you reckon?

And Kev - rest assured I wouldnt sell :wink:

Scott

From what I remember, a "failed" compression test has to be below 120psi, so you're looking well good there mate!

Well I always thought a decent engine should show compressions of over 170 - 180 psi so seem a bit low to me..... :?:

Those figures are well within tolerance mate and they're consistent across the bores, so thumbs up there. 180 psi when new, sure, but you can't expect that at circa 100K. I reckon you have nothing more than pitted valves seats and guide wear.

Get the head done and you'll be laughing :lol:

K

:D

Thats what I want to hear.... engine now done 113k miles so it aint doing too bad 8)

So yeah its all steam ahead for new cylinder head - will also skim it a little (within tolerance) to up the compression - so hopefully be like new!

MMmmmmm, maybe I should get a compression test done to. Then at least I will know what the problem is. Dont think anywhere around where I live will be able to do it.

Must ask a few of my mechanic friends to find out if there is anywhere I can get it done.

Happy for you Scott, but still feel sorry for myself :(

Simon

Where do you live? - I could do it for you or you could go and buy a compression tester from halfords for £20 and do it yourself - very easy.

Just make sure car is fully warmed up

Fuel Pump relay is disconnected

Compression tester is screwed into the plug hole accurately.

Scott.

I live in Lockerbie, just over the border (scotland/england).

Might have a look on the halfords website for the tester. Just been in Halfords in Dumfries to get "STP oil treatment".

ta

simon

DONT put STP in the VR6 engine!!!! :shock:

Its an oil thickner therefore was accelerate wear on your new cylinder head!!!

Yep thats the compression tester I used - pipe is long enough to get to the VR6 plug holes.

Oh, ok. :roll: How does it accelerate wear?? Maybe I'll not put that in :oops:

Can you explain how to do the compression test please? cheers

simon

It should come with instructions...

Mmm, thats a very good point. :oops: Had a late night, feeling a bit tired!!! 8) Drink!!!

timo

The STP is an oil thickner - therefore it WILL take much longer for the oil to reach critical areas such as cylinder heads.... it will also put more stress on the oil pump as it has to work much harder....

You might as well put 20W 50 oil in instead of STP :shock:

STP is used for f**ked engines.... yours is far from that.

Scott

Done the compression test. Well happy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

results : -

1 --- 190 psi

2 --- 197

3 --- 192

4 --- 208

5 --- 195

6 --- 203

all I can say is :shock: :shock: :shock: Seem rather high, had the head skimmed so I would assume that's where the high results come from!!??!

Number 1 is the lowest (surprise, surprise), but number 6 is the second highest!! :shock: I thought number 6 was the first to go?!?!

Back to the drawing board though :roll: but really happy it aint bore wear. Suppose there is a big difference from number 1 and 4 - 18 psi!! Maybe that could be the problem maybe? not sure

ta

simon