maff

Which vr6 coil overs?

Which coilovers to people recommend these days? I've got to spend some £££ on the vr so i'm on the hunt.

I've seen the ap ones on awesome gti, i take it the JOM's on ebay are a no no? (cheap though!) kw's seem quite expensive, looking at spending £500 or less preferably

KW's seem pretty well regarded. However if you're not too bothered about height adjustment and are happy with a fixed height drop, might be worth considering some Koni T/A's or similar so you can at least adjust the level of damping rather than ride height?

I am looking to drop the height a little jim, one day i might have a corrado and leave it alone as the ride is so nice at the mo with the standard suspension.

Have heard good things about kw so may go with those, had the koni ta's with h&r springs on my old green rado which has just been offered back to me, trying really hard not to buy it!

Writec and KW are identical, made in the same factory in different colours :)

Don't go budget for a VR - they're always standard one-size-fits-all kits that aren't built to take the extra weight at the front. Great for your Golf / Polo / Ibiza / etc but you'll be buying again two years on. Ask me how I know ;)

I tried a VR6 with KW V1s and it was awful. Crashy and very harsh. I had KW V3s at the time and I couldn't believe they were made by the same company as mine were superb.

I'd listen to StoneJag. You'll only regret skimping. You don't have to spend V3 kind of money but for say, £600 ish, you can get a Bilstein B6, B8, B12 kind of kit which are fixed struts. I was wanting to try it on mine but sold the Corrado before getting the chance. In hinsight, it's what I should have done from the start because coilovers were wasted on my car. They were always at the maxmium height :lol:

Reason being I went in a member's V3 equipped VR which was slammed and that rode completely differently to mine. Cats eyes were jarring! There's a fine line with Corrados and ride height unfortunately.

Yeah i think my old green car was too low and in turn made it skittish and just didn't feel quite right, my grey one on standard suspension feels alot better to drive.

So stay away from kw v1's? i think the v3's are £800+ so thats getting a bit steep:-( I had bilstein/eibach struts on an impreza which were v very good, but i would like to try some coil overs this time around, dont mind too hard a ride for a weekend toy.

my last vr6 had V1's and I did not like the ride at all, the corrado before had weitec tx's on and it was just awesome, best suspension I ever had.

I have had kw v1's on mine for two years and they have been great. You could have suspension costing a couple of grand but if you slam the car on the deck the ride is still going to be crap especially on UK roads. As long as the drop is sensible with KW V1's and some of the others mentioned on here like weitecs etc you will be fine.

Over the years I have had my VR on its totally standard suspension, also tried a combo of standard shocks with HR springs (wouldn't recommend this). For me I think the KW v1's give just about the right balance and because I haven't had it slammed to the deck I find the ride is perfectly acceptable and not harsh at all.

Here is a pic of my car as it sits on KW V1's it could go a lot lower and probably not scene enough for most people these days but I don't want to be crashing about and its the perfect balance for me.

P1030621.jpg

it could go a lot lower and probably not scene enough for most people these days but I don't want to be crashing about and its the perfect balance for me.

P1030621.jpg

Absolutely perfect height for a VR for me!

Absolutely perfect height for a VR for me!

Agreed, looks spot on but definatly no lower!

Just enquired and they said they fit the vr6 but will also fit lower models? seems a good price but would of liked the dampening adjustment.

Cheapest coilovers with dampening adjust are £599 for the ap's or spax at £580, I've always heard good things about spax, had them on a 309 gti years ago

Edited by maff

I had spax on a MK2 many moons ago and after 2 years and 24K they were scrap!

I had a short ride in mrlobitos 24v VR on height adjustable konis and 17s and it rode very well.

So the ap's any good? sure someone said they were made by kW? I'm liking the price £380 delivered:-) I can live without dampening adjustment can't i, just worried they would be too soft?

So the ap's any good? sure someone said they were made by kW? I'm liking the price £380 delivered:-) I can live without dampening adjustment can't i, just worried they would be too soft?

I had some AP's on a MK5 GTI and they were very good, hence why I pointed you in there direction.

A lot of people think every coilover is made by KW :lol:

You can spot all the KW clones as they use the same plastic spring perches, but just different colours. Same thread pitch on the damper bodies as well. Volkswagen Racing were also selling recoloured KWs as their own upgraded kit at one point.

The APs don't look like a KW clone to me, but they are at least German made with TUV approval (far tougher than most other approval certs).

You just need to watch out for the Chinese made kits that sell for about £250 or less. The steel quality is just too inferior to last more than 6 months.