southerner88

MK4 Golf bits for Corrado

Hi all,

I am soon to have a 2001 MK4 Golf GTi for breaking, and before I sell parts out, i want first dibs as it will basically be free which always makes you feel better! So the question is....What parts on the Corrado are worth upgrading to MK4 Golf parts? I have a VR6 if that makes a difference? Im thinking engine components / running gear, not bothered about doing the mk4 dash conversion or anything like that, easy interior conversions may be considered... Im told the rear brake calipers from the mk4 are a good upgrade so thats now the first thing on the list, any chance we could get a list going?

1. MK4 Brake Calipers

Edited by southerner88

Running gear and engine are entirely different so you won't be able to use anything there I think. If the front calipers are 288mm then you can use them with a bit of fettling and some conversion hoses as far as I'm aware. Don't quote me but I think the mounting for the carrier is slightly different on this platform, so an adaptor/spacer is required. If you have a search and look in the wiki I'm sure it's been covered before mate.

yeah had a little look around, and various threads have mentions of bits from a mk4. think I read about the coolant resevoir and windscreen washer resevior can be swapped over, and some of the coolant pipes can be used, also the handbrake cover?? was wandering if there is anything worth holding on to when breaking the car that could be used on the corrado...

If the gearbox layout is the same on the Golf4 you have (if it's an 02J box) you should find the shift tower off the gearbox, control cables and interior shifter all fit up (you will need to figure out the mounts for the rear of the interior shifter). This set up should give you a significantly more precise shift than the standard controls in the 02A gearbox.

/\ It's LOADS better than the O2A, but the O2M (MK4 TDI, R32, 4Motion, S3, Cupra R etc) shift is even better :)

Why not do a MK4 front end on your Corrado?

It's stunning :pukeleft:

yeah - real stunning :)

will have a look at doing the whole gearbox thing, sounds a good shout, If i did that, would the mk4 short shifter still work?

If the gearbox layout is the same on the Golf4 you have (if it's an 02J box) you should find the shift tower off the gearbox, control cables and interior shifter all fit up (you will need to figure out the mounts for the rear of the interior shifter). This set up should give you a significantly more precise shift than the standard controls in the 02A gearbox.

is there a simple way to tell if its the O2J?

The mk4 brakes will transfer straight across. You will need to fit conversion hoses as the mk4 calipers have banjo connections and the standard vr6 brake lines aren't! If you are swapping over rear brake calipers as well, then you are best fitting get a full set of goodridge braided conversion hoses at a cost of approx £60. Ill find a link for you later or have a look in my thread, then I think it's on one of the early pages as to where I got mine from.

Swapping the front discs to mk3 golf late gti or vr6 hoses will get rid of the need to run adapters for the calipers. The only time you need adapters for the front calipers are when you running 312mm front brakes as the discs required are of a different offset.

yeah - real stunning :)

will have a look at doing the whole gearbox thing, sounds a good shout, If i did that, would the mk4 short shifter still work?

You will need to buy some gear change housings from a polo for the mk4 shifter to bolt into the stock position. You don't need to change the entire gearbox, just the shift tower as it will work in the vr6 02a gearbox. Much simpler! Just make sure the shift tower and cables are from a 5 speed 02j/m box. Again, look in my thread for housing part numbers!

You can then have any mk4/tt platform shift mods you want, I think the tt short shift is only about 30 odd quid from the dealers!

You can tell 02j from 02a by looking at the top of the change tower. 02a has a big plastic top, 02j doesn't and the reverse light switch is part of the tower itself and not the plastic top.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

has anyone fitted daves16v short shifter? and would be able to compare between the standard shifter with daves fix, and swapping it out for the mk4's?