Jim Bowen

Fitting front shocks help?

Should the spring need compressing to get the whole shock assembly onto car.

just removing the kw1 at the moment and they are really short anyway and easy to fit.

but struggling with the koni/HR arrangement. Going to get compressors tomorrow. But even so. Wondering if it should be quite tricky. Haven't disconnected anything but the shock and top mount.

Its about an inch out if line. The length from top mount to lower shock bolts.

Once the strut has been assembled, it should slip straight in. You obviously need spring compressors to assemble the strut in the first place though.

Yep, as above. You'll need the compressors to get the shock/spring/top mount etc back into one piece but then it should be a simple fit and bolt up job.

If you don't want to pay for spring compressors I have a set you can borrow?

Cheers for offer. I do have some but a mate has them and was hoping I didn't have to bother trying to get them.

Was thinking last night after I posted that it is probably because they aren't compressed enough off the car.

I know what you mean with this, I took coilovers off and had to lever the lower arm down quite a bit to get the original struts into the hub, I had powerflex bushes on the front and rear of the lower arm and thought that might be why. Anyhow to answer your question no you do not need to compress the springs to fit the struts. Might be worth slackening the front arm bolts though as i'm sure that helped.

Got them on in the end, was strange as one side took ages, lots of compressing with spring compressors and jacking up under the bottom of shock(while unit was attached to car) but finally got it on. The other side was easy, took about 20mins.... Bit confused by that but got there in the end.

I did wonder that, but thought it can't matter, but yeah only jacked up one side. Didn't consider the roll bar, i looked and thought everything was independent