Portent

Older cars may be banned from central London

They should start with the old buses, trains and black cabs that turn all the historic buildings black. Passenger cars haven't visibly belched out smoke for nearly 2 decades now.

You'd have to be bonkers to drive into London anyway!

http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/london-set-ban-older-private-petrol-and-diesel-cars

While I never drive the Corrado into central London it is a worrying trend. Quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of the government dictating what I can do and how I should live my life.

^^^^ absolutely what he said!!!

the UK government cant even run this country properly without running it into the ground (or should i say the potholes we all have to suffer) & yet they want to continually force how we live our 'free' lives in this so called 'democracy'

while I don't like the central government and EU control you have to admit that city centres are pretty miserable places for pollution, I remember travelling to London for the day and blowing my nose to see black soot in my tissue, imagine breathing that in every day of your life.

http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/london-set-ban-older-private-petrol-and-diesel-cars

While I never drive the Corrado into central London it is a worrying trend. Quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of the government dictating what I can do and how I should live my life.

Agreed, I remember reading about this when I lived down there.

I could see the argument if everyone drove very old, not looked after cars, you'd have a similar pollution problem as they do in new Delhi, as an example.

But that's not the case here, just looks like an excuse to get more money out of people, whilst seaming to be doing something about the environment.

You shouldn't be forced to buy brand new, overpriced cars on finance that you can't afford.

I remember when I was looking for a t4 a couple of years ago , there was loads for sale in London as they had wacked a massive hike on the charge for older vans to get in and out of the Capital

I got whacked a couple of years ago going into London to get some bits for the Corrado. Had to pay £100 emmisions charge for the Peugot camper van I was using. Was more expensive than the fuel cost from Scotland to London via Somerset. What made it worse was I knew nothing about the charge prior to going there and could have been hit with a much higher penalty if we hadn't noticed the signs and queried exactly what it was. The only saving grace was that we were outside, just, the congestion charge zone. Not in any hurry to go back.

I have 100% congestion charge discount so drive the C in London a fair bit. Wished I didn't when I cracked my sump dipping one wheel into a monster pothole, mind :bad-words:

It's already like this in much of Europe - on my trip to Worthersee this year (in the Golf, a 1987 cabby) I won't be able to enter a fair few cities because it has no catalytic converter so can't meet Euro 1. Just one of those things...

Stone