j_s14a

I thought you guys might like to see my current VW...

I'm currently after a Corrado, as I'm wanting to downsize my fleet from two cars, to just the one. I believe a Corrado is a good compromise between the two. :)

My daily driver is a manual 2003 BMW E39 530d saloon, and my fun car is this...

DSC_0488_zps0532d358.jpg

DSC_0487_zps1b46709f.jpg

DSC_0486_zpsea2a35ef.jpg

DSC_0485_zps83e0cb85.jpg

A MK1 GTi track/ fast road car. :) She's got a dyno printout for 160hp, a shorter ratio gearbox (unknown origin), Vipertech suspension and she's fully polybushed. She's a little weapon! :D

Sadly, she's not really a great daily driver, so she'll be going up for sale soon. :(

She's running the 18. 8v, but it's had a lot of works according to the receipts. TBH 160hp is probably a very optimistic figure, though there is a note from the dyno operator saying something along the lines of "it's VERY fast for an 8v".

She's not an immaculate car, but is certainly one of the more solid ones around.

I had a Mk1 golf GTI back in my youth that had a set of fast road cams in. One of the best cars I think I've ever owned. Well it was back when I had it, and I would always leave every thing on the road for dust up to a ton. I would love another Mk1 golf, good luck with the hunt for a Corrado, and the sell of your Golf

Agree with what's been said before: Keep that tidy Mk1 Golf and get a Corrado, too.

Same with me: Mk1 Rocco (as the super-fun car, defo not suitable for daily duties) and a Rado (erm, also now a toy), win-win :)

Tempest

I'd love to have both, but I'm about to loose my garage, and mk1s really shouldn't be kept outdoors.

I'd love to restore a mk1 GTI to factory standard at some point, I had a 'Y' reg one lined up to be my first car back in 1992 but it was when insurance went through the roof and I couldnt afford the £750 premium. (quite cheap by todays standards though).

Has it had a single headlight conversion or is that standard for its year? Is the interior standard?

definately do what you can to keep it!!

I think only campaign models have the double lights as standard…

Looks great, I've had one, loved somethings about it and didn't like other bits… Values are only headed one way for good ones...

I think only campaign models have the double lights as standard…

Looks great, I've had one, loved somethings about it and didn't like other bits… Values are only headed one way for good ones...

All 1.8 GTI had the double headlight grille (so did some other models like the 1.3 Driver - my first car). If I recall the Campaign had p-slot alloys, different door pins, came in red, blue or silver and I also seem to remember something different about the seatbelts but I can't remember quite what.

If you do big miles don't get rid of the bmw diesel! The corrado is a second car in my eyes now, i wouldn't want to rely on one everyday, but i admire you if you do, and like the mk1:-)

Has it had a single headlight conversion or is that standard for its year? Is the interior standard?

definately do what you can to keep it!!

The car came with the single headlights, and I assume it is a conversion. All of the late MK1 GTis that 've seen have had twin lights. It has a leather interior, which I assume came from a MK1 Scirocco, as the rear sear is a perfect factory fit, but the fronts have had the sliding mechanisms swapped over.

If you do big miles don't get rid of the bmw diesel! The corrado is a second car in my eyes now, i wouldn't want to rely on one everyday, but i admire you if you do, and like the mk1:-)

I don't do big miles, and I'm single and live alone, so the 5 series is overkill for my needs. Fantastic car, great at everything, but not very interesting.

The Corrado has enough modern creature comforts to make it a plausible daily driver (ABS, decent brakes, power steering, reasonably comfortable interior, reasonable economy). My MK1 has none of these things (the engine revs at almost 4k at 75mph, making motorway journeys expensive!)

I want a compromise between my two current cars, and a Corrado VR6 seems like a good candidate to me. :)

Now on my PC so can type a bit more without throwing my phone out the window in predictive text frustration :)

I love mk1's and really regret never getting a mk1 GTI. My first car was a beautiful silver mk1 1.3 Driver which looked like a GTI on the outside but had a smaller engine and bog standard interior. It led me to a soft spot for VW forever more. Sadly I think it's too late for me to ever own a GTI and I find that a little sad. It's an iconic car and will absolutely only go up in value now so are you sure you really want to sell it? However much I love the Corrado I don't think I could sell such an icon for one.

Is it a GTI though? I don't recall them having sunroofs like that (they had steel slide sunroofs I recall).

Now on my PC so can type a bit more without throwing my phone out the window in predictive text frustration :)

I love mk1's and really regret never getting a mk1 GTI. My first car was a beautiful silver mk1 1.3 Driver which looked like a GTI on the outside but had a smaller engine and bog standard interior. It led me to a soft spot for VW forever more. Sadly I think it's too late for me to ever own a GTI and I find that a little sad. It's an iconic car and will absolutely only go up in value now so are you sure you really want to sell it? However much I love the Corrado I don't think I could sell such an icon for one.

Is it a GTI though? I don't recall them having sunroofs like that (they had steel slide sunroofs I recall).

It's definitely a GTi. The sunroof is a Britax Weathershield, it is period correct for the age of the car, and I believe they were a dealer fit option. I'll be the first to admit that it is a bit of an eyesore, but on sunny days it adds so much to the driving experience. The opening is much larger than that of the factory sunroof, so you get the rigid shell of a tin top, with some of the open air experience of a cabrio. :)