robrado974

Wheels look out of line ?

I'm up in Cornwall ATM , I was looking around the car and for the first time ever , I've noticed that when the drivers side wheel is straight with the body , the passenger wheel is sticking out to the right . How is this corrected ? And what has caused this ? . It's never had a hard wack in a pot hole or hit a kerb . Many thanks

Rob

Yes it's the front Paddy , will take it in to be looked at . I've no idea how long it's been like it , there is no wear to the inside or outside tread .

Rob

I have noticed this on another Corrado in the past. After discussing with friends we came to the conclusion that it was a late car which had an early wing fitted. Because of the wide track suspension it means on the side with the early wing fitted the wheel appears to poke out of the arch!

Hi Jim , as I'm away I can't put a pic up . What I mean is the passenger wheel looks like you have turned the steering wheel to the left , whilst the drivers side is pointing straight .

Rob

It certainly sounds like it. But I set the tracking (to toe out slightly) on mine with a basic old sliding gauge and it looked to be toeing out alot afterwards. The body does taper a fair bit at the front, could be an optical illusion?

When you come to checking it remember the Corrado does have a funky way of being tracked. You set the n/s tie rod to a factory dictated length and adjust the o/s one for tracking. The n/s one is only adjusted to compensate for wider tyres. I did not know this the first time..

It certainly sounds like it. But I set the tracking (to toe out slightly) on mine with a basic old sliding gauge and it looked to be toeing out alot afterwards. The body does taper a fair bit at the front, could be an optical illusion?

When you come to checking it remember the Corrado does have a funky way of being tracked. You set the n/s tie rod to a factory dictated length and adjust the o/s one for tracking. The n/s one is only adjusted to compensate for wider tyres. I did not know this the first time..

Is there a guide on this anywhere? I'm curious! Changing width of wheels/tyres doesn't affect the tracking though.

On mine, my passenger wheel was sticking out a bit and I thought it was maybe an early wing fitted to a late car but after close inspection, my camber was out. Got that sorted and they both look spot on.

do you have any string?

4 axle stands or something similar and line strung down both sides of the car level with wheel hubs will soon show up what is wrong

Is there a guide on this anywhere? I'm curious! Changing width of wheels/tyres doesn't affect the tracking though.

The width won't change the tracking but the length on the n/s tie rod limits the lock to stop wider wheels/tyres rubbing on full lock.

Looking at the Bentley manual it would appear that G60s with 60 profile! tyres had a shorter n/s tie rod from the factory but I can't be sure. Adjusting it will acheive the same thing though.

I've been playing with the camber on mine and a little makes a big difference.

Edited by Ralphead

It's just a visual illusion. You may think the driver's wheels is perfectly in line with the arch but it obvioiusly isn't otherwise the passenger wheel wouldn't be pointing to the left and the car would pull violently. And body panels are the WORST alignment references known to man. Corrados are particularly bad for it. I've seen loads with wheels tucked in more than the other side and other weird visual oddities. So long as it drives straight, ignore it. Hand made shyte remember!