MoonlightVR6

oil warning alarm and light

Pulled up, left for 10-15 mins, topped it up about half a litre 10/40(it already had some oil in there, I thought it would be bone dry) then hobbled to work at low revs. It made it to work with no issues, but I am worried about driving home now.

Do you think it could be the pressure sensor on the oil filter housing. I already know this leaks and is needs replacing.

I couldn't get this sensor from allparts yesterday and VW's T.P.S. outlet has ordered it for me but couldn't tell me when it gets here. So I'd imagine in a weeks or 2's time...

Kill me now!

I had this happen to me a few weeks after I got the car , I changed my sensors and it was all good again but I didnt drive mine until I was sure It was ok. How far is your drive home

You need to find out exactly what oil pressure the engine has with an accurate reading gauge. It could be;

Engine actually has low pressure - worn out bearings etc allowing oil to leak away losing pressure

Oil pick up blocked

Oil pump worn

Wrong oil used

Sensors faulty

wiring fault

Dash binnacle fault

As Dox said . Tps won't take long to get your parts in . Drive home carefully . Fingers crossed one you have changed the housing and sensor it will be fine .

7 miles - ish, but if I leave it at my work carpark, (like I did when I first got it back and was doing work on it while it was sorned) I run the risk of the little scumbags from the area smashed my passenger window, again, I really dont want the hassle of this again!

I know the sensor is dud, but I don't know when I can get the replacement as its on order with no delivery date...

Just out of curiosity, did you replace all 3 of them?

@DOX,

If there is a leak, such as from the bearings, could I visibly confirm this or would it be internal - not visable?

Since I have noticed the sensor is dud I have been keeping an eye out for oil patches on the road after its been standing there, these have been there but no larger than tennis ball size diameter (maximum), looks like its only while its running...

Oil pickup, could be, I don't know what it is or how to tell?

Oil pump, could be, I don't know how to tell? after leaving for about 15 mins it did have some oil in there.

I think the oil itself will be ok, I was using 10/40 and I have done close to 1000 miles since its had that in there with no problems thus far, so I think the oil type is good.

Sensor is deffo ****ed and leaks, pretty sure its the front left as you look at the engine from the front of the car. This is on order but no idea its ETA.

I couldn't tell you about a wiring fault or dash fault. I did put a new stereo in last week but its been running fine since, except the leaking dud sensor, I dont think I touched anyhting I shouldn't have touched...

Sorry that probably doesn't help much.

How do I test the engine oil pressure???

you got two sensors on the filter housing , one switchs on at high pressure and one switchs on at low pressure , its the high pressure one that sounds the alarm and flash's on dash as mine did that when the wire popped off the sensor ages ago, the light on the dash will just flash {no alarm sound} when the low oil pressure sendor gets tripped,

the oil pick up is the bit that sticks down into the oil sump that sucks up the oil , remove oil sump to get access to this but first thing I would do though is have a good look at the high pressure switch/sensor, make sure the wire is connected and its got good electrical contact on the sensor...

Get a garage to test the car oil pressure when the engine oil is hot.

The cranks bearings are white metal coated (which is a very soft material), they're fed with oil via the oil pump (via oil galleries in the block and machined in crank itself), the crank actually floats on the oil, the bearings just hold the oil in place.

If the engine has low pressure or poor feed to the bearings the cranks machined journals will touch the white metal on the bearings and "pick up" - the white metal deposits on the crank journals will quickly grind through what's left of the white metal coating on the bearing shells causing big ends to knock and main bearings to rumble.

If you prove the oil pressure is good (indicating sensors, wiring fault or dash fault) the car can be driven with caution, if the pressure is actually low the car needs a tow home for further investigation IMO

I just got the new sensor, turns out they had it all along at T.P.S. so they delivered it today, so I have that now (part number :068-919-081-D)I'm going to stick it in now.

When I have got this part on, is it safe to start her up? If so should I precautions about anything?

@Dox you mention the oil needs to be hot to test the oil pressure. Can I run it upto temp, without worrying about further damage if the pump or oil pick up is buggered and the bust sensor wasn't actually my problem? Obviously if either of the switches trigger the light / alarm I'll turn her off, and I wont move her just run the engine.

I am really worried I may have damaged the bearings now, after topping it up and limping to work. Or if I even start her up now to test pressure with warm oil.

Oil thins when hot, oil pressure falls when oil is thinned.

A mechanic would put a gauge in when cold and allow the engine to warm up whilst monitoring the pressure, if its low pressure cold then it will be worse when warm.

For £30 - 40 at least you'd know if the actual pressure was low. Are you a member of the rac / aa?

you got two sensors on the filter housing , one switchs on at high pressure and one switchs on at low pressure , its the high pressure one that sounds the alarm and flash's on dash as mine did that when the wire popped off the sensor ages ago, the light on the dash will just flash {no alarm sound} when the low oil pressure sendor gets tripped,

the oil pick up is the bit that sticks down into the oil sump that sucks up the oil , remove oil sump to get access to this but first thing I would do though is have a good look at the high pressure switch/sensor, make sure the wire is connected and its got good electrical contact on the sensor...

So if the alarm tripped, does this mean there is a blockage somewhere? As the pressure was too high for the system?

This would make sense as after I stopped for about 15 mins, when I re-started it it didn't re-trip and I carfully limped to work ok.

What sort of pressure reading should I get? Between 1.4 - 1.6 bar (written on the sensor) right?

Oil pressure needs to be above those figures otherwise the alarm will sound / light flash. What did the sensor you removed say on it?

So if the alarm tripped, does this mean there is a blockage somewhere? As the pressure was too high for the system?

This would make sense as after I stopped for about 15 mins, when I re-started it it didn't re-trip and I carfully limped to work ok.

The lower pressure sensor only reads below 2200 RPM and it needs the minimum pressure to be above that stated on the side of the sensor.

The higher pressure sensor only reads above 2200 RPM and needs to be above the minimum written on the sensor.

There is no alarm for high or over pressure

The sensor that I took out has the same figures on it (sorry 1.2 - 1.6bar, not 1.4).

I swapped it over and crawled home giving emphasis to not exceeding 1.8 revs. Got home ok, no light or light/alarm combination.

I did notice that the oil temp doesn't work now. it just has " - - - " instead of a the temp, Hmmm

Does this indicate that something else is wrong now? I will try and get the pressure varified over the weekend and let you know the results. touch wood she's ok.

The sensor that I took out has the same figures on it (sorry 1.2 - 1.6bar, not 1.4).

I swapped it over and crawled home giving emphasis to not exceeding 1.8 revs.

If that's the case the higher sensor never came into play and so is untested. You could buy your own gauge (and sensor) to keep an eye on the pressure for future reference and peace of mind?

There is no alarm for high or over pressure

my bad , when I did my senders and fitted a vdo twin pole sender I was under the assumption that the alarm was triggerd due to high pressure due to the wiring for it being labelled as "high pressure"

here check it out , fusebox plug G2/10 yellow wire

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

right just looked into it via vr6 manual , the alarm is tripped if the engine speed is above 2150 rpm and pressure drops below 1.8bar ,

its a higher pressure then that of the other sender so Im guessing that's why it says "high pressure". just the light flashs when oil pressure drops below 0.3bar regardless of engine being at any rpm

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Thanks for all the info.

To test the pressure, whats the proceedure, do I put the pressure gauge where the sender sits and run upto temp?

In theory, say the engine is warm, if I rev it past 2150 and the alarm doesn't come on am I good?

Does anyone know why I may not have had a oil temp on the onboard computer after limping home?

Thanks for all the info.

To test the pressure, whats the proceedure, do I put the pressure gauge where the sender sits and run upto temp?

In theory, say the engine is warm, if I rev it past 2150 and the alarm doesn't come on am I good?

Does anyone know why I may not have had a oil temp on the onboard computer after limping home?

you would remove the oil pressure switch and connect a pressure gauge to see whats up,

if the sensors working as it should be then yea that means the pressure hasn't dropped below 1.8 whilst driving and that's good, the way I see the alarm sender now is its just to warn you whilst driving as you might not suddenly notice a flashing light until its too late also it would be very annoying to hear the alarm sound every time you switch IGN to ON until the engine is started,

oil temp doesn't register on mine until it gets to/past 50 degrees so maybe your journey wasn't long enough to get past 50degrees or you may have removed the oil temp sender instead of the pressure sender, check them again and check what colour wires are going to them,

Seems I'm having similar problems now since I've put another engine in the car. I have an OEM oil pressure gauge that says all is good.

I've changed sensors and checked wiring still with no luck. Oil temp doesn't work and the outside temp is stuck at 16 degs.

Good luck with yours and I'll report back if I find the problem which may be the same as yours.

I only changed that one sensor and didn't touch the other two or the housing, I vaguely recall the one at the back has a slightly different connection anyway.

It should have been hot enough, about a 7 mile drive, in traffic so it took about 45-hour. The water temp was 90 odd, at about half way point.

@daves16v, that 16 degrees sounds familiar from when i was switching between the 2 computers, could be co-incidence I will watch that and let you know.

Mine deffinatley worked before swapping sensors, and thats all I have done and topped the oil up. Could I have to reset it somehow, maybe disconnect the battery?

I am probably being a hypochondriac about it, but she's my baby so I worry.