Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

GB - Audioscape Door Pods - update 03/08

Just waiting on Mike Edwards to say Yay or Nay, or a newcomer to put his/her name down!

I'll have a word and see if they'll do the same price with 9 people.

Does those pods come like on the picture?(minus the speaker) or is that felt stuff on inside pocket a kevhaywire upgrade?

They certainly look good :)

That's how they come mate. It's the same flock finish VW put in the plastic pods, only more of it!

You get the speaker grille aswell, with Audioscape gold labels.

Thought I'd better explain myself about this dynamat stuff. For those that have never heard of it, it's bitumen sheeting and it's job is to suppress panel resonance. As per the pic below, I've covered the key areas with a mixture of dynamat and sticky backed lead flashing from B&Q. It's essentially the same stuff and the B&Q stuff is mega cheap. It's thin and lighter than dynamat too.

By god the door gives off a hearty thunk when it's closed now :lol: I can't believe how tinny the Corrado panel work is. This solves it. It also reduces road noise and rumble like you wouldn't believe.

If you can be arsed, the effort is well worth it.

Right OK people, we now have 10 (I've got mine already), so Mr Biege, if you're reading this....it's all systems go.

Those that are supplying their own speakers, please supply the exact cutout diameter in mm, otherwise you'll have to cut the holes yourself.

See the list below for current listings, PM me or Mr Biege with any alterations.

brian g60 corrado, Confirmed. Black. Late spec? Cutout diameter - ?

kevhaywire, - Confirmed. Black. Late spec - Order collected.

Combine, Confirmed, Grey, Late Spec, Cutout diameter - ?

Rado16v, Confirmed, Black, Late spec, Cutout diameter - ?

Ka`, - Confirmed, Black, Late spec, Cutout diameter - 143mm

Stuart, - Confirmed - Black, Early spec, Cutout diameter - ?

Yash, - Confirmed - Black, Late spec, Cutout diameter - ?

AndyT, - Confirmed - Black. Late spec - Cutout diameter - 148mm

sampayne, Confirmed - Grey, Early Spec, Cutout diameter - ?

Graham E, Confirmed, Black, Late spec - Cutout diameter - ?

CrazyMarcel, Confirmed, Black, Late spec - Cutout diameter - ?

Thought I'd better explain myself about this dynamat stuff. For those that have never heard of it, it's bitumen sheeting and it's job is to suppress panel resonance. As per the pic below, I've covered the key areas with a mixture of dynamat and sticky backed lead flashing from B&Q. It's essentially the same stuff and the B&Q stuff is mega cheap. It's thin and lighter than dynamat too.

By god the door gives off a hearty thunk when it's closed now :lol: I can't believe how tinny the Corrado panel work is. This solves it. It also reduces road noise and rumble like you wouldn't believe.

If you can be arsed, the effort is well worth it.

Thats a brilliant idea, think I might get some of the B&Q stuff for doing the panels behind the door card. I've already got a couple of cans of dynamat spray for doing in the awkward bits in the door, like the inside of the door skin and the base, made a hell of a difference to road noise/sound quality in my mk2 :)

when you spray it inside the door panels make sure you dont block the drain holes up as your door will fill up with water :D

self adhesive lead flashing what a great idea off to b&q i go :)

If anyone is after cheap sound proofing check the site below. Enter Sound deadening in the search at it'l return all the sound proofing they sell. Havent tried it myself yet, but have been told its good, well as good as dynamat original and its loads cheaper.

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/

Car Audio direct also have a special offer on at the moment on dynamt extreme bulk packs, but i have been told one pack wont cover the whole car.

Yeah that B&Q stuff was a good find :lol: I bought it years ago to use it for it's intended purpose, but never got round to it. Then found it is perfect for this job. It's in a roll, about 2 or 3 Metres by about 5 inches wide. It's very flexible and easy to use.

Another tip is to get one of those mini-rollers for pressing wall paper borders on and flat it down hard onto the panels 8)

I've heard the spray stuff isn't as effective as bitumen sheeting but it's good for caking the awkwards areas though! I've also heard 'no more gaps' is good for double skinned areas (like the behind the rear panels above the speaker grilles) but it's messy sh1t!

OK here's some progress on the door builds.

I would use VW's new style of water proof membrane. It's a thick foam and also acts as a sound absorber. Part no - 3A0867201H. It's not self adhesive, so use some waterproof gaffer tape (as shown in the pic) to secure it to the door.

Don't skin the foam to the door really tightly. Leave it baggy where the door pockets go into the door, otherwise you'll rip it when you fit the door card.

Top tip:- Check out the speaker vent hole 8) . Get a lemonade bottle and cut a 3 inch wide section out of it. Create some flaps as show, feed the tube into the door so about 2cms protudes into the cavity (watch that window guide) then tape down the flaps. This keeps water out whilst allowing the speaker to use the door cavity as a cabinet. Line the door behind the speaker with some sticky back foam too.

I also put a layer of sticky back foam all round the edge of the door where the card meets metal, but that's just me being overkill as usual.

And there we have it. One door that now needs 3 people to open and is totally sealed and rattle free :mrgreen:

Looks good kev 8) how much is the foam sheet from VW, and how thick is it?

last time I used extra thick laminate floor underlay foam, works well.

I can't wait to get rid of the rattles/tinniness in my doors, even just operating the outside door handle makes an awful sound :(

Does/did your window glass rattle in the door at all, any tips on how to fix it?

Brian - ring Audioscape mate and tell em what you want, it's up to you guys now :lol:

Andy - I think it was about £5 a roll, bought it last year so not entirely sure. It's about 2 or 3mm thick IIRC, thick enough anyway, what with all the other sound deadening shit I've laced the doors with!

Yes my doors were very rattley and tinny, well, I say doors in the plural sense but I haven't started the driver's side yet :oops: It's taken me 3 evenings just to get one door sorted.

Anyway, waffle waffle.... the glass rattled in both my doors and the answer was incredibley simple. On the passenger glass, the rear plastic guide wasn't attached to the glass (it had a new glass fitted before my ownership) so I sikaflexed that back on. Problem solved. On the driver's door, the inner seal that sandwiches the glass to the outer seal wasn't fitted properly (previous owners, again :mad: ).

All other rattles were down to missing screws etc and loose wires etc.

The tinniness when you open the door will go when apply the bitumen sheeting. VW only put a small sheet on and it's not enough. Cake the whole panel with the stuff, as much as you can get on there. Then the doors take on a whole new character. A very meaty MK2 kind of sound, which I know you're familiar with :wink:

Cheers, hope my glass rattles are as easy to fix!

Me and my dad agree that the best 'VW door clunk' sound was our '85 polo saloon :mrgreen:

the mk2, corrado & mk4 polo have never quite lived up to it!!

Yeah James called me earlier and said the GB is moving along now.......

Good stuff, I hope you all enjoy them and glad I could help.

If you need any advice or help regarding the doors (which I know very intimately now!) and their workings, don't hesitate to ask.

Ta

Kev

This is one of those jobs you wish you never started! Taken me two weeks of evenings buggering about with the doors.

Finally there with the doors 8) Just need to install the tweeters into the dash.

Found another cause for the glass rattling when down. Make sure there is some sticky back felt on the alloy side protection beam. The glass hits it when the door slams.

Oh and there is a goldish coloured metal bracket attached to the door that the OE pods screw too. These need to be removed in order to get the Audioscape pods on.

Got mine ordered too :-P the lads at Audioscape say get your order placed if you haven't already!

If you don't know what size holes you need cutting or find it tricky to measure, give them your speaker model number and the chances are they will know the diameter for a perfect fit 8)

Thanks Andy

Can the 3 remaing particpants please call Audioscape ASAP and place your orders:- http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13481

Cheers

All my kit is in now and the doors are unbelievabley solid! The dynamatting is well worth the effort, even if I was constantly attacked by wasps during the process :lol: Even if not fitting speakers, it's well worth doing and curing any glass and other rattles while you're in there.

Cheers

Kev

Thanks to CrazyMarcel lending me his Alpine whilst my HU is in for repair, I can now confirm the sound you get from the Audioscape pods is AWESOME! Well, it is depending on what you put in them and how you drive them but you do get a nice sound.

And if you take Haywire's "Easy Dynamat 1 - 2 - 3" evening class, you'll not have any interior rattles either once those big old 6.5" cones flex their muscles. The pods are huge, wait till you get em in the car, LOL!

K