seanl82

Fitting cross member bushes

Having a bit of a mare. Trying to fit new cross member bushes but having no luck and getting frustrated now. I've tried a long nut and bolt to pull them through, but they just keep deforming. Anyone got any tips or is it a trip to a local garage with a press?

Thanks all.

Hey Sean, I struggled like f*** doing those bushes! Tried pulling them through like you've been doing to no avail.

In the end another mechanic friend of mine said he'd done loads and that they're easy to do... He used a long screwdriver to literally just push them in, one side first then the other.. Lots of brute force required, but by the time he got to the forth one he was doing it easily.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I really don't think pressing them in works as they slip and deform as you've said.

Also, while my friend pushed them in, I held on to the crossmember as tightly as I could on the floor to stop it from moving around.

Edited by somersetdub

Thanks Theo, yep for anyone reading in future, I clamped the crossmember wrapped in a load of rags in a vice, used the base of a screwdriver handle against the bush, whilst pulling on the shaft. All lubed up with washing up liquid to aid fitment.

That sounds so wrong! :rolleyes:

One of those things that I think experience makes it easy. I took mine to my mechanic and easily put them in no problem, said he used a screwdriver to persuade them in. Only charged a £10 so might be worth just doing that.

Me and Vag Hag managed it with plenty of pressure and lots of lube along with my special tool :camp:

Me and Vag Hag managed it with plenty of pressure and lots of lube along with my special tool :camp:

This reads so wrong in the preview pane at the side!!