vcl

Tyre advice

Hi, Looking for advice on tyres. My last car was an MX5 and seemed to handle best on Toyos. Obviously, the Corrado is heavier than the Mazda and has (at least for the moment) somewhat softer suspension.

The tyre world changes so fast these days and companies want tyres to look good as well as keeping the four wheels on the tarmac - I'm only interested in Price and Performance. All advice welcomed. Cheers

Hi VCL

It would be helpful if you could say what version rado & early or late model / year, what wheel size (if non standard) & current tire size ;)

If its a standard VR personally i dont think you can go far wrong with 205/50R15 86W BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE002 FZ

I have tried avons, michelin, continental & none seem to have even similar grip in dry or wet & last nowhere near as long.

I use http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/ as their price is excellent & they are a mobile fitter who take care during the job (rather than most cowboy tyre places)

hope that helps

I'm a huge fan of Uniroyal Rainsports. Great all round performers, and excellent in wet weather conditions as you'd expect from the name. Not an expensive tyre either - probably sits about halfway between the cheapest and most expensive tyres.

I'm a huge fan of Uniroyal Rainsports. Great all round performers, and excellent in wet weather conditions as you'd expect from the name. Not an expensive tyre either - probably sits about halfway between the cheapest and most expensive tyres.

The wet grip is there, but the dry grip isn't because of the silly soft sidewalls.

If its a standard VR personally i dont think you can go far wrong with 205/50R15 86W BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE002 FZ

That's more like it. Something with a firm sidewall, which you need with balloon 205/50 tyres.

Camskill have the Potenza's at £65/corner.. seems pretty reasonable. If I was due for new tyres, I'd give them a whirl.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s93p110265/Bridgestone_Tyres_Car_Bridgestone_RE002_Potenza_Adrenalin_Bridgestone_RE_002_-_205_50_R15_86W_(FZ)_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Bloody hell Jim!!!! Well found, that is a good price but would fitting & balancing be additional?

If you have 4 they are £78.39 inc vat & fitting & balancing from Event Tyres & no need to pay petrol to drive to a garage either ;)

Camskill literally just supply the tyre. You're on your own in terms of where you get them fitted unfortunately.

Always got on the Toyo T1Rs although a have just ordered a set of Prox 4's be interesting to see how good they are.

Best tyres i ever had was a set of yoko s-drives amazing grip but a hefty price tag.

Toyo seem to have a good balance of quality and grip

I'm currently using Falken ziex 914's, 215/40 on a 9" rim. I really rate them and reasonably priced at 70ish a corner.

Another shout for the Toyo's. But they are a compromise as they are very soft compound with a stiff sidewall so they grip well in the dry but they wear quickly (6000 mile on fronts) and towards the end of their life the performance can drop off a bit.

I'm on my 3rd set but I only do 3-4000 miles a year so it doesn't bother me.

Another shout for the Toyo's. But they are a compromise as they are very soft compound with a stiff sidewall so they grip well in the dry but they wear quickly (6000 mile on fronts) and towards the end of their life the performance can drop off a bit.

WOW!!

i had that kind of mileage from a few sets of avons during the time bridgestone stopped makning 15" tyres

However, my last pair of RE002's lasted just over 12000 miles :D

I second this!

I just don't get Toyo's. I've had them on several cars, and whilst the dry performance was more than good enough, the wet weather performance was not just poor but dangerous!

I just don't get Toyo's. I've had them on several cars, and whilst the dry performance was more than good enough, the wet weather performance was not just poor but dangerous!

Couldn't agree more, TERRIBLE in the wet, wear quickly and also easy to overheat when pushing on.

Without knowing what size the OP uses it's hard to recommend anything as certain tyres are not available in smaller sizes. I will be going for GY Asymmetric 2 when my Vreed's have worn out.

Hmm, I guess everyone is different. I've never had an issue with them in the wet but I also wouldn't really push the car in the wet anyway so maybe I've just never noticed.

I've been thinking of trying Yokohama Parada Spec 2's next if anyone has any experience with them?

can do the bridgestone @ £60.00 inc vat and courier plus £5 per tyre forum donation ( need to change my signature pic , brings a tear to my eye )

Speak to this man^^

I really want to try the Rainsport 3's - seem to be getting good reviews and loved the RS1' and 2's

Agree with The Hoff- Rainsports are a fantastic tyre at a very good price. Bought some Rainsport 3's from Mr Lobitos recently for the S3, and they're excellent. Brilliant price and service as always from Mr Lobitos. Wouldn't buy from anyone else!