Roger Blassberg

Rubber roof trims

Are the rubber roof trim strips still available? Mine are breaking up along the inner edge. I replaced them in 2005 but they are falling apart again.

Best wishes

RB

Deleted a while back now mate at Tps and Vw . Could try Vw heritage . If all else fails cut the dead rubber off and refit . They don't do much anyway .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Guest sam1990rhodes
Deleted a while back now mate at Tps and Vw . Could try Vw heritage . If all else fails cut the dead rubber off and refit . They don't do much anyway .

Rob

how did they delete them exactly?

Guest sam1990rhodes
Delete , obsolete , all gone .

thanks for confirming my grasp of the English language :D

i mean exactly how, have you got any pictures? its something i want to do to my rado.

as in....you can't get/buy the rubber trim anymore from any suppliers, not delete as in smooth over

VW were still selling them in 2010, as there is a receipt in my service history for replacing them that year; cost was £48.48 each side. So €79.95 is not as bad as it could be considering the rarity factor and the evidence that most will degrade markedly at around this age. I believe the last new set on a well known auction site sold for hundreds?!

Guest sam1990rhodes

to ask a silly question can i just remove them? are they of any importance?

Guest sam1990rhodes
They'll leave a deep trench in the roof that they push into.

but other than the trench? I mean do they ask as some sort of seal on the panels? the reason I ask is because mine are pretty much FUBARd and look really un tidy.

Guest sam1990rhodes

Cheers, im taking these off later then!, they look so untidy at the moment.

Assuming yours have the side 'seal'portion breaking off you could trim these loose bits and then respray with black bumper paint to refresh them. If you post up some pics i'm sure we could give some input there.

Or fill the trench up with some black silicone and forget about it ;)

On any car that they sit correctly, for gods' sake don't remove them just to black them up - they bend very easily on removal and don't ever sit flush again. Ask me how I know :bonk:

Stone

does anyone have a 'good' set which they could take a profile photograph. By good I mean that the edge that breaks up is still in place. Ideally an image from both ends and measurements as accurately as possible.

Better still would be if anyone could make a CAD drawing of it.

Fla you gonna try reproduce these ? Would be a great idea or even if we could find a similar part that doesn't cost nine million pounds plus collection only !!

Fla you gonna try reproduce these ? Would be a great idea or even if we could find a similar part that doesn't cost nine million pounds plus collection only !!

yes, I do get involved with mouldings and extrusions so hopefully some of the guys i deal with should be able to help us out...

That sounds good , i took a look earlier but couldnt realy find out similar , maybe i was looking in the wrong places though :/

Would be good to get some new stuff made without the incredible mark up

I know Anna at Classic parts has a set of these new she is using to have ones made up from..

I know Anna at Classic parts has a set of these new she is using to have ones made up from..

Are you sure? She emailed me last week stating they're a no go..

I tried buying the ones on ebay to get them copied, but sadly £321 wasn't enough.

I hope the buyer comes forward and offers to let them be copied, as otherwise it's going to be a headache getting new ones made.