vw bobby

Turbo Advise

Hi all, need some advise, I am running a 9a 16v turbo engine in my corrado with a t25 turbo with a t2 manifold, I just wanted to find out would it be a beneficial upgrade to run a t3 manifold and a gt30 turbo?

Would depend on the particular specs of both turbo's but I think the GT30 might be a bit big for a 9a. You're probably better looking at something smaller like a GT28 otherwise you'll just get loads of lag.

But if it'll work then I'd expect big gains over a T25. Hopefully someone with greater turbo knowledge than me will be along soon.

Edit - Kev beat me to it whilst I was typing! :lol:

:D

The T25 is an ancient turbo. You can go a bit bigger with modern roller bearing turbos without increasing lag significantly, but as you say, a GT30 is a bit big. Garrett have got some GTX turbos with billet wheels now, and also look at the Borg Warner EFR series.

The guys tell you a 30 is probably a bit big so you buy a 35?

Not quite sure what the point of asking for advice is if you're just going to ignore it lol

Oh well I hope it works out anyway :)

Genuine GT35Rs are external wastegate. God knows what that turbo is. A hybrid of some kind but it doesn't look as big as a GT35, so may not be too laggy. Looks like an improvement over a T25 though, which was never a great turbo :)

Manifold looks good, just hope that Turbo is up to the job as well.

Let us know how you get on mate.

Cheers guys, I did take the advise on board, just wanted a massive turbo

Turbo is a Chinese one, which has been balanced, so should be ok, let's hope and see

Also a quick question, what size injectors will I need to use on this?

Gawd knows without knowing the full spec and what hp you're aiming for, but 500cc would be a good start for around 350-400ish.

Are you going standalone then? Haven't you got a K Jet valver?

No the kjet valve is gone now, I have a 9a with forged pistons, running a t25 turbo at the moment, 3 bar fuel rail, 440cc injectors and a megasquirt ecu. So this will just be a upgrade on my engine, looking run 400+ bhp

Turbo is a Chinese one, which has been balanced, so should be ok, let's hope and see ��

Jesus, you're brave putting a chinese turbo on such an expensive engine. They normally fall apart after a few hundred miles taking the rest of the engine with them. What do you mean by 'it's been balanced'?

Cheers and will keep this updated on how it runs, hopefully should run sweet and achieve the 400+ figure I want :thumbleft:

Jesus, you're brave putting a chinese turbo on such an expensive engine. They normally fall apart after a few hundred miles taking the rest of the engine with them. What do you mean by 'it's been balanced'?

The main thrust bearing shaft has been balanced again, as the problem with the Chinese turbo's the shaft give way on these.

If fully balanced up, should run good from what I have been told

I considered one of the Chinese turbos for mine and as you say a lot of them are poorly balanced, very good idea to have it balanced properly! Quality seems very hit and miss but I have seen some impressive results from them on 1.8t's!

Looking forward to seeing some more of this :)

If a professional turbo company has had it in bits and balanced it, it should be OK. I think they would have told you to chuck it in the bin if it was that bad :lol:

Personally I would only use established brands like Garrett or Borg Warner on my engines as it's not just about the price / reliability compromise, they tend to have superior flow dynamics and turbine / compressor wheel designs over the cheaper ones.

Anyway, good luck with it, I'm sure it's going to kick some big turbo butt on the roads!

Cheers mate, I know is massive, still trying to work round how to fit a hose for the air filter? Any ideas?

The sort of damage a turbo does when it lets go, 2001 TDi PD AJM 115 bhp 88K miles when it went bang

IMGP3347.jpg

IMGP3351.jpg

IMGP3349.jpg

IMGP3348.jpg

There was bits of turbo in the sump too, exhaust and cat full of oil