seanl82

Mk6 Golf TDI 140, or BMW 118D M Sport?

As above. Looking for a new daily as the Saab is on its last legs. Bearing in mind the wife will be the main driver, and she had her heart set on the Golf. That is, until I pulled her over to look at the Bimmer. She's now in a mood as I've complicated things! :rolleyes:

Both are around the 11k mark, and she's found pros and cons with both. The only issue I have is that it'll obviously be used to ferry the kids too, and having never driven a RWD car in the rain, is it really an issue unless your giving it beans? (Obviously she wouldn't be doing that with the kids in though). She prefers the fact the Golf has touchscreen dab radio with the ultrasonic parking screen, but prefers the interior trim and class of the BMW, although visibility isn't great. She's undecided on which she prefers on the exterior, but thinks the "sporty look of the BMW makes it look a bit like a blokes car". Anyone got any experience of both, Or either would be good. General opinions welcome too.

I just think the Golf looks a bit well, boring...................:shrug:

Cheers all!!

Personally I would not blow 11k on a daily, that's house deposit money.

Get a tidy A4 or A6 TDI, it'll cost a lot less, most of the depreciation has happened, it'll run forever, parts are dirt cheap and it won't matter when the boss fills it with petrol or has a 'I don't know how that happened' incident...

We lease a 13 plate nissan Qashqai and the wife hates it, while it's a good car it's 'too good' for a family hack, she is scared of scratching or damaging it and wishes we still had our old tatty 53 plate Scenic.

Rog.

Bmw and you cannot lose one in the wet at all with the traction on, they are very safe and lots of fun:-) If you do turn it off then just watch clarkson testing the 135i in the wet and see what happens.

We have a mk5 golf gt tdi and a bmw 118d m sport Sean, the BMW feels a lot more solid then the golf but the golf is more economical. The only issue with the M sport we've found is in the snow where it is very difficult to drive, we left it in the garage but that is only 1 week in a year. The golf goes through anything!!!

Oh and there is a common problem with the BMW engine but not sure if it would be on the model your looking at.

I have a 520d and as maff has said you will not unsettle the rear end with the traction control on. The "common" problem with the N47 engine fitted to late 2007 onwards cars, in the 1, 3 and 5 series is timing chains snapping. This relates to all 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 & 2.3 N47 diesels. But considering the numbers of these engines produced I suspect the incidence of this problem is still quite small. Mine is on 112k and still goung strong. Do a google search and youll find plenty of info on it in order to decide for yourself.

I think a 1 series BMW is too small for a family car. As for a Mk 6 Golf it's a good car but I'm not sure it was that much of an improvement over the Mk 5. I'd look for Mk 5 Golf TDi around the £7k mark and save a few bob

I think a 1 series BMW is too small for a family car. As for a Mk 6 Golf it's a good car but I'm not sure it was that much of an improvement over the Mk 5. I'd look for Mk 5 Golf TDi around the £7k mark and save a few bob

The MK6 is a lot better built than the MKV... I'd still have a MKV though but not for £7k, many people are having rust issues with the front wings now. The MK6 is superb, so solid and comfortable - I really struggle to fault it.

For £11k you might find a cheap MK7 also...

Cheers for replies so far guys.

Rog, you make a very good point actually, and it's something we have spoken about. We tend to get bored after about a year, and she won't take care of it properly guaranteed!

We had a mk5 Gt Tdi about 4 years ago which we loved at the time. It was a late 2005 and we bought it for 7k trade, then Sold it 18 months later for £6700 private which has probably been the best value depreciation wise I've ever owned. Not sure if it would feel like a bit of a step back, but definitely worth considering. We are viewing the Bimmer on Monday now so will see what she thinks after a test drive anyway. Thanks again all! :thumbleft:

Well we bought a 118d M sport after all. 2011 plate with 62k. We got a 2 year warranty with a 12k parts and labour limit, so that should just about cover BMW costs should the chains snap! :lol:

Personally I would not blow 11k on a daily

Too darn right and not on boring German diesels either!

I'd spend £1K on a daily, max.

Did that with the Saab though Kev, it barely lasted a year and I spent almost the cost of the car in upkeep. I agree it's a lot of money, but the missus needs it for work so reliability is a must. I'm not saying something cheaper would have been less reliable, and tbf it's the most expensive car we've ever bought, but it's time we owned a nice car that is cheap to run.

Did that with the Saab though Kev, it barely lasted a year and I spent almost the cost of the car in upkeep. I agree it's a lot of money, but the missus needs it for work so reliability is a must. I'm not saying something cheaper would have been less reliable, and tbf it's the most expensive car we've ever bought, but it's time we owned a nice car that is cheap to run.

There is a lot to be said for something new or nearly new, with a warranty, that's cheap to tax, where everything works, and where you just drive it and service it. Sounds like a nice motor you've picked up :)

Very nice Sean if it's for the wife you are quite right getting something nearly new and reliable should be cheap to run too they are very frugal if driven responsibly. :thumbleft:

Personally I spend as much as I can on a daily as by its nature I'm using it every day. Better to be in something you really like than a £1k shed.

Personally I spend as much as I can on a daily as by its nature I'm using it every day. Better to be in something you really like than a £1k shed.

Totally agree!