unomatt

Painted front grill-tut

Severe but justified! Not sure what they were thinking! I'd like to save it if possible, can't afford a replacement!

Not its a humble old valver :) I was thinking a rub down might be best but wondered if stripping was possible. Google'd it and nail polish remover was suggested, can't see that working?

well you're not gonna get the paint off, best bet would be to sand back the top coat and use a matt black paint over the top - something like hammerite bbq paint should do the job..

Matt paint is probably your best bet. I think any chemical stripping would probably discolour the plastic. Harsh scrubbing would also likely damage the texture to the point of it being junk tbh. You should be able to get a replacement grille for around the £30 delivered mark though.

...hammerite bbq paint ...

it's a corrado, not a rat look camper! - hammerite bbq paint, I ask you!

^^^^ ha ha ha

oh the thoughts about producing a rat rado :D

I laughed at first but I think he maybe on about the spray type bbq paint, its a lot like a matt colour and weather proof that's all, allthough still not ideal, hammerite just conjures up images of thick gloopy iron railing paint! haha

with the money your going to spend on re-spraying plus prep work and time..... I would just buy a new one

to be fair I had a gloss black painted 7 slat early grille on my 16v for several years before I noticed it was painted, a late grille might not look as good as the bars are thicker, colour coded doesn't look great on a corrado although it's not that noticeable if it's a dark colour and the headlight surround aren't done to match.

Ha! it's good stuff, I promise. It's matt finish & has a slight texture to the paint giving a factory finish if it's done well.. Normal paint goes on too smooth if you've sanded to prep the surface.

http://www.tradetoolshop.com/hammerite-bbq-paint-aerosol-black-matt-400ml.html

Mercifully the headlight surrounds aren't done too! If the paintwork was ok it wouldn't bug me as much but it has seen better days. I have some satin black plastic paint so I might try it out, failing that, buy another.

A new grille would only cost you £20, you'd spend more on black paint...

Yeah, one of the odd few Corrado items that are way cheaper than you expect!

Yeah, one of the odd few Corrado items that are way cheaper than you expect!

Kev (& others) where would one go to for a £20 grille? I need an early one for my valver but they are £75 at VW Heritage :s

with one missing top tab :-(

i noticed that too & unfortunately the ebay description doesnt mention condition etc :(

think i might mail the seller to ask if they have any without missing tabs

Sorry lad, I just had a quick look at the ad.

Gives you an idea of a price anyway. From memory, used early ones were always a bit more expensive than the later type.

I can't find a 3 slat grill for a reasonable price, cheapest I found is £36 posted on ebay, all seems a little silly for a bit of plastic. I have a badge, just need the plastic bit!

Edited by unomatt