Sign in to follow this  
VR6

What have you spent on your C?

urhhhh.......... 4WD conversion, big turbo, stupid brakes, stupid exhaust, couple cows inside, different engine, change of colour, nice wheels... and a new halfords bee sting aerial made out of vauxhall pig metal... and its still not on the road..

shall we round the figure off? Answers on the back of a postcard...

need donations to buy a steering wheel and a gear knob....

Well I think the majority of expensive modders here will be close to there 30's mate so by that point you should be on a good wage!

na i think its cos as someone else put it in another thread......"we're all having champagne lifestyles with lemonade wages" :-P :lol: :lol: :lol: ...............

I must admit it annoys me at shows where people say to me "you have far too much money mate". I wish. I don't earn big money by any stretch and I buy and sell to cover the costs of all my mods. Also my car has never been in a garage or tuners once for work to be done.

I think you will find a lot of the "big modders" are not close to thirty but in fact in their early twenties.

The other things that annoys me is the fact that people think our cars are only for shows. There is no way in this world I could afford a second car and drive my car to work every day over 40 miles.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest :p :roll:

"I think you will find a lot of the "big modders" are not close to thirty but in fact in their early twenties"

Erh I think you'll find I was relating to this thread not the country at large!

I was not having a go :oops: its just I barely scrape enough together to run the car and do other things in life. Then I suppose I do have my bike to run which would account for my money.

All the better for doing the work yourself.

Sorry went off on one a bit there. :oops: It just bugs me when people think decently modded cars must have had loads of money spent on them at tuners etc..

J

Dont sweat it..I can appreciate you getting a tad pissy when youve put alot of heart and soul into your motor and peoples 1st ignorant reaction is "God mate you must have money to burn". But when I was early 20's I would'nt have had a life to speak of if I had to run this kind of money sucking muvva. :wink:

Car modding doesn't cost the earth... the labour does though. If you can do it yourself you're laffin :D

Car modding doesn't cost the earth... the labour does though. If you can do it yourself you're laffin :D

With you ALL the way there matey! :D I reckon that the labour on my car so far would have cost WELL over £4K if I hadn't have done it myself... :? :crazyeyes:

Well I've just done some sums and without pouring into details during 2001-2003 I've averaged £2,900 per year on modifying the car and fixing the bits that have gone wrong.

This figure also includes tyres, but does not include my insurance (which averages around £900 per year) and fuel (I average around 3,500 miles to events alone each year)

It's only July and I've gone through £735 of parts already this year...

Grand Total for 3½ years? £9,500... :roll:

(I average around 3,500 miles to events alone each year)

Do you keep it in bubble wrap as well? ;)

Prompted by Kev and Kieron both claiming to have spent the equivalent of the national debt of a small country on their C's.....

Yeah but I should qualify that really because although a lot was spent on parts and engine bolt on bits etc. very little was needed to keep the car running. If you ignore such things as servicing, tyres and oil etc. which all cars will need the VR6 hasn't actually cost very much at all to run in the 6 years I've owned it.

I could of saved a fair bit if I'd of known what I wanted to do in the beginning but when you start modding rational reason disappears very quickly. :-P You can also save a lot of money by being a member of the Corrado Club and places like this forum where new people can hear the experiences of people who have been there before. :D

In total the VR6 cost me a lot to buy and tweak but most of that was the initial purchase of £17K 6 years ago.

£17K for a second hand VR6.... Seems like a lifetime ago! :cry:

Exactly. I've spent a lot on mine due to my own fussiness. It would still be running now in the condition I bought it 18 months ago just fine, but I don't want to simply 'make do', I want the best and am prepared to put the money and effort in.

Apart from the mods, I feel £2k spent on injecting some youth back into the car is far from excessive, given the car's pedigree. Any 10 year old car, performance orientated or not is going to be half the car it was when new, so a little investment can go a long way if you're planning on keeping the car for a while.

K

Too true Kev, Im always getting complements about the C and not from a specific age group or sex it seems damn popular with a vast and varied majority. Thing is most of em dont even know what the hell it is but love it anyway!

Yeah it's worth it when you get compliments. People ask me if mine has been repainted because they don't recognise the colour and also speaks volumes about the qaulity of the finish too. I wondered if mine had been painted when I bought it too but under the handbrake cover "Ice grey violet" is written on the floor in permanent marker! It was sold as "Storm grey", so even the bloody dealers don't know what colour it is!

(I average around 3,500 miles to events alone each year)

Do you keep it in bubble wrap as well? ;)

Er no, my annual milage is around 18,000 (car currently has 128,000 on an M-plate) of which I do around 3,500 just to events. Translated, that means I spend around £500 in petrol each year just driving to/from VW shows, before I even pay the entry fee (into the show), get a burger, or buy any shiny bits !

Sorry if I was a bit ambigous !

John

Right on Dinkus. Got a result yesterday, wife bent the bumper on her Freelander, I sent her to a local bodyshop with a good reputation called Steveco, (G60DAN has used them). £25 to heat it and push it out, great job.

I can work on Sat mornings, this will hopefully teach me something and allow me a very cheap respray on my Storm. I'm a real fussy git so can watch the quality control/ do some mods possibly.

for me so far

coilovers £600

wheels and tyres £500

leather seats £950

alpine stereo £800(2nd hand)

ss exhaust £350

clock dials £80

grill&spoiler £50

slight accident repair £500

mb quartz tweeters £30

kenwood door speakers £50

vibe sub £150

car mats £50

ebc discs and pads £200

new rear discs and calipers £150

thats £4460 im sure theres lots of things ive missed out :?

all including fitting:

suspension £700

brakes £150

exhaust £300

stereo £500

security £300

wheel&snap-off £300

oil cooler £250

rear lights £30

h/light loom £50

plates £40

K&N £40

door handles £150

std oil cooler £100

head gasket £500

tyres £150

plus probably another £100 odd for bits and bobs...

£3310 (most of it in the last year or so!!)

plus £3000 to buy it on 19th feb 2002

*8hudder*

Must be in the region of £5-6k now.

It'll be on the 4th set of rims soon. :oops:

Granted,I have only paid for two sets,but they weren't cheap.

"Only" had it 7 yrs.

And it ain't finished yet........ :cry: