Sign in to follow this  
randal

Thoughts on these shocks/springs

Just doing the usual Friday lunchtime web gawk, and came across these...

http://www.racelanduk.com/Shop/Details.asp?Id=RAC813302

Obviously the price is pretty good, but has anyone had any experience with these? Also, when I do the shocks I might as well do the other bits and pieces like top mounts etc... Would the VR6 mounts work with these? Also, is there anything else worth doing whilst I've got the shocks out?

Thanks in advance y'all

randal

yeh i came accross an ebayer selling these - never heard of em, so left well alone. Think i'll stick to the tried and tested - if you get em let us know how bouncy they are :D

Most cheap "uprated" suspensions tend to be not bouncy, more rock hard, from what I've read...

I like the part about 40mm lower, but I'm guessing this comes at a cost. - the sacrifice of ride comfort, whether it be rock solid or bouncy castle ride time. Mind you, anything has to be better than the 4X4 appearance i've got atm. Will keep looking methinks...

It's better and cheaper to do it once and do it right than go through a couple of cheap sets and hate them. Obviously I endorse Konis with H&Rs but there's also Bilstein and H&Rs own dampers etc to choose from.

I've taken the plunge today and gone for a Weitec 40/40 kit from C&R. Price is quite reasonable at £205 + vat.

Will also be doing top mounts, bumpstops & top plates etc..... will report back on how it goes!

Oh.... and this post is not an invitation for others to go...... "oooh ... I wouldn't have bought those!!" :p

Hey yalan, you got a linkie for C&R ?

Understand what you are saying Kev, no need for repeat maintance. I'd love some Koni's on there, but with everything else that I want to do I just don't think I can afford (yet) :roll:

thanks all

randal

Well when I was looking at replacing the shocks, I bought a set of OE (i.e. SACHS Advanced) for only £70.. :) :)

It's who you know, not what you know... :)

Just spoke to a dude at C&R, who said he'd knock up a weitech kit with springs, new bumpstops and VR6 top mounts for £380 + 11.95 delivery. Unless I hear any screams from yalan - I think we have a winner :)

dr mat - I need to know the people you know!

Oh.... and this post is not an invitation for others to go...... "oooh ... I wouldn't have bought those!!" :p

Relax, no one is going to slate you for that :lol:

Suspension is very subjective. You might love this kit and hate the Konis/H&Rs, you just never know until you try. So I hope they work out for you.

Relax, no one is going to slate you for that :lol:

Suspension is very subjective. You might love this kit and hate the Konis/H&Rs, you just never know until you try. So I hope they work out for you.

Well knowing what a fussy git you are Kev I would go along with whatever you suggested :-P

My 2ps worth is you definitely get what you pay for with suspension, and in particular suspension kits.

Fair enough, you might not have enough to blow on a more expensive kit but in the long run you'll ending up spending more because you'll be replacing it again.

It's a lesson I've learnt with my Mk1 which I've owned since I was a student. The first kit I put on it was cheap and shite!! :lol:

I've taken the plunge today and gone for a Weitec 40/40 kit from C&R. Price is quite reasonable at £205 + vat.

Will also be doing top mounts, bumpstops & top plates etc..... will report back on how it goes!

Yep i've just had all that fitted to mine, seems ok, looks alot better need to drive it a bit more before i really tell what it's like, ride is firm but not over the top. Also had the car corner weighted makes a difference :wink: