BILLCOR

New Car Ordered

Probably a PCP scheme but its essentally a lease. At the end of the term you either hand back, use the equity against another new car or buy it outright for the lump sum they give you.

Its a good way to get a brand new car as you generally need a small deposit and monthly payments are relatively low. The big hit is at the end of the deal.

5 door Golf = Wrong (that's what the Jetta is for)

4 tailpipes on a Golf = Too many

4 cylinders = Insufficient, but acceptable due to it being turboed.

Manual gearbox = Wrong. VAGs are all DSG optimised these days.

But otherwise, I like it, lol :D

Do you still get the over-run thud from the exhaust when you change gear with a manual R, is it just the DSG that does that?

Great choice and love the colour!

forgive my naivety on this but this is something completely new to me. with a lease car, are you effectively just renting the said vehicle for a period of time for x cost and when that time is up, you simply give the car back?

so it might cost say £13k+ for a 3 year lease (based on £326pm and £2k deposit), you then hand the car back and it’s up to the lease company to sell it on or do as they wish, meaning you don’t take the hit in its depreciation, but don’t have anything to sell on?

But i see the side that most folk don’t have £30k to buy a new golf R and will likely need a loan or finance anyway and this will incur interest, but will it really depreciate that much in 3 years that a lease is better than buying outright then possibly selling on after 3 years for say circa £22k?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but ive only ever owned corrados and the prospect of buying a new lke this is a long way off, however i can see this options appeal.

shame you can't map it as ive heard these mk7 R's are very responsive to a little tweak!

You give VW or some company money every month to drive their car, at the end you either give it back and have nothing to show for it, or you start the whole process again with another new car.

Its a good deal for VW, as I imagine they don't lose out when they sell it on.

Think you have to service it as well. But usually no insurance or tax.

not something I would fancy doing but then i'm not in the situation to do so, People will convince you its better than buying a brand new car (which it probably is), But better off buying outright 2nd hand imo.

I think the buying outright 2nd hand appeals more to me, i guess the major perk of this would be owning and driving a new car, however the 2nd hand market seems quite open at the moment with plenty of choice and most cars 2nd hand are newer than a corrado lol!

Our other option was to buy a second hanf S4 B6 on lpg when one came up - outlay about 6k, would probably need work over the two years given the age, would need to tax it and MOT it.

Lease (PCH was what I signed up for, not PCP) works out at the same price when you take into account lower insurance for a Golf R than S4, no tax, no MOT, no tyres (hopefully!) and no bills.

Kev - 5 doors for the nieces and nephews

Manual because I want to still feel like i'm driving it

4 exhausts - aye...rather naff, but the only give away, so I'll let it go.

4cyl. Yup, totally agree. Sounds like the VR has limited days with VAG.

I've never ever considered a lease car before, it was only this specific deal that attracted me, which is why I was so p***d when VW pulled it - I'd done nothing wrong, smoeone somewhere did something dodgy, why should I suffer.

Don't get it until end of the month. Says you can get it delivered anywhere in mainland UK. Was thinking of asking them to deliver it to John O Groats and have a good drive home... :)

Mines is a business contract hire, 3months down to start then 23months @ £360odds, hand the car back at the end and forget about it, maintenance will be minimal, tyres maybe, zero road tax, zero depreciation.

I've bought our last 4 or 5 cars, all Audis, second hand and have spent a fortune on tyres, servicing, timing belts, road tax and then all the hassle dealing with half wits when it comes to changing due to getting a $hitt trade in value.

Its not for everyone, but it suits me and I cant wait and Jamie, I'm sure you'll let us all know when yours arrives :thumbleft:

Mines is a business contract hire, 3months down to start then 23months @ £360odds, hand the car back at the end and forget about it, maintenance will be minimal, tyres maybe, zero road tax, zero depreciation.

I've bought our last 4 or 5 cars, all Audis, second hand and have spent a fortune on tyres, servicing, timing belts, road tax and then all the hassle dealing with half wits when it comes to changing due to getting a $hitt trade in value :thumbleft:

My thinking exactly :)

I've never ever considered a lease car before, it was only this specific deal that attracted me, which is why I was so p***d when VW pulled it - I'd done nothing wrong, smoeone somewhere did something dodgy, why should I suffer.

Neither have I as I don't like being in debt. Those lease deals were the deal of the century. All that car for £250 a month (the deals I saw at least) and only 3 months down! It's probably why the town where I live is littered with Golf Rs at the moment.

It's currently Evo magazine's (the only one I take seriously) hot hatch number one and a genuine 5 out of 5. They say the Megane RS or some such just pips it on raw driver focus, but come on, it's splitting hairs and who'd want that ugly french plastic POS in favour of the Golf?!? :D

Anyway, I was pondering..... if you take out a lease deal, what happens if:

Some runt keys / vandalises it?

You get bored and want to hand it back before your term is up?

You lose your job and have to give it back before your term is up?

And what about mods? With 350+hp just an OBD2 flash away, would they confiscate it from you if they found out? lol

Bloody ell, I think I've missed a trick here! Darn it.

Neither have I as I don't like being in debt. Those lease deals were the deal of the century. All that car for £250 a month (the deals I saw at least) and only 3 months down! It's probably why the town where I live is littered with Golf Rs at the moment.

It's currently Evo magazine's (the only one I take seriously) hot hatch number one and a genuine 5 out of 5. They say the Megane RS or some such just pips it on raw driver focus, but come on, it's splitting hairs and who'd want that ugly french plastic POS in favour of the Golf?!? :D

And what about mods? With 350+hp just an OBD2 flash away, would they confiscate it from you if they found out? lol

Stick with the Mk4 Kev they are the one to have and will be the one to attain best prices in a few years plus they sound soooo much better

I hear what you're saying mate. It's just frustratingly slow at times :lol: Well, not slow, just not as quick as it ought to be.....but it's heavy I guess.

Thing is, I own the R32 outright, so was thinking of storing it at my parents and get one of these MK7s on PCP, but 2 years is a long time to be stuck with it if I don't like it, hmmmmmm.

I hear what you're saying mate. It's just frustratingly slow at times :lol: Well, not slow, just not as quick as it ought to be.....but it's heavy I guess.

Thing is, I own the R32 outright, so was thinking of storing it at my parents and get one of these MK7s on PCP, but 2 years is a long time to be stuck with it if I don't like it, hmmmmmm.

Storing the R32 may be an excellent idea keeping the mileage down. I imagine if you feel it is a little slow the Mk7 shouldn't disappoint in that respect from what I've heard about them. I also don't imagine your job being on the line for a couple of years go for it Kev your only here once bud ;)

Vandalism - get it fixed, insurance or pay your own. Need to go through approved repairer tho.

Bored - tough! it's only 2 years tho and a decent spec car, hopefully wo't be too painful :)

Lose job - onto plums, but ultimately, if you lost your job, you would advise them and work out a resolution.

As for chipping....welllllll...there's a question! The 'holier than thou's elsewhere have a fit on that. Really, it's a big no-no, will kill the warranty and breach T&Cs, so needs to be kept standard.

It's def not for some and we'll see how this goes. I've got the Rado to tinker with, quite happy if we have a car that we never need to touch for 2 years.

I got VWFS to agree verbally to honour the deal I signed up for, but the actual application has gotten stuck...surprise. If I succeed, it's £230p/m with £1400 down.

I hate being in debt too, not my thing, took me years to sort out my 'just get a loan' youth so will see how this goes.

Hmmmm, damn you both! You're supposed to be discouraging me to save money :lol:

£230 p/m + £1400 down is awesome. I'll have to look into what deals are around at the moment.

Apparently the Leon R is supposed to be brilliant as well (same engine). There's an Autocar youtube clip of it vs the R, racing around a track, and the R couldn't lose it at all! Different story in the wet though, but it's a fair bit cheaper than the R. But it's a SEAT though.

Then there's also the M135i deals etc. Hmmmm, damn you both :lol:

Is insurance not included? Do you have to provide your own cover?

So for £230 you get the car and the servicing. Everything else is down to you. Is that right?

My price was car and road tax for the duration, although some come with maintenance. We're down for 5k miles per yer, but the mileage excess on ours is 7.2p per mile, which works out cheaper than agreeing a 10k lease - we'll not do huge miles in it anyway.

Servicing - should only require one service, if that. Insurance is half the price of our S4, which amazed me! (Craig is 25 and was paying over £700 for the S4, now under 400).

The whole scndal was that he really cheap deals are only available to 'businesses', incuding Sole traders. They cannot explain why 'personal' customers pay more. If you're a Sole Trader, you'll be quids in!

Lease deals are extremely compelling. I always swore I'd never do it either - couldn't get my head around paying money for X years and not owning the car at the end. But if you factor in that it's a new car and basically you're only paying the depreciation, they can be pretty awesome.

Deals like that Golf R one were crazy.

Carwow is a good place for getting deals. We looked at a new Skoda VRS estate recently but they'd stopped doing the 0% PCP deals.

To get a brand new car and no real worries for 2-3 years its easily the best thing to do. They key is picking the right car so come change over time the residuals are good.

Lease deals are extremely compelling. I always swore I'd never do it either - couldn't get my head around paying money for X years and not owning the car at the end. But if you factor in that it's a new car and basically you're only paying the depreciation, they can be pretty awesome.

Deals like that Golf R one were crazy.

Maybe it's a time of life thing Jim, which is why it seems appealing.

Consider this:

R32 bought for £7500 cash 18 months ago. £1500 in chains / clutch / DMF. Probably a further £2K in sorting niggles. £11K in total over 1.5 years. Plus fuel and servicing on top. And it's only 250hp, or thereabouts.

For the same money, I could have put down the 3 x £250, paid the 24 x £250 upfront, had £4250 left over for a luxury holiday in the Bahamas and sat back and enjoyed 300hp for 2 years!

Makes you think. 10 years ago I wouldn't have thought that way. "Turbo it" all the way. But now.....I can't seem to justify that anymore. Defo an age thing :lol:

Agreed. I just want the easy life now - to have a car I can get in and use every day, and just service it once a year, which is why this sort of deal has become increasingly appealing :)

Maybe it's a time of life thing Jim, which is why it seems appealing.

Consider this:

R32 bought for £7500 cash 18 months ago. £1500 in chains / clutch / DMF. Probably a further £2K in sorting niggles. £11K in total over 1.5 years. Plus fuel and servicing on top. And it's only 250hp, or thereabouts.

For the same money, I could have put down the 3 x £250, paid the 24 x £250 upfront, had £4250 left over for a luxury holiday in the Bahamas and sat back and enjoyed 300hp for 2 years!

Makes you think. 10 years ago I wouldn't have thought that way. "Turbo it" all the way. But now.....I can't seem to justify that anymore. Defo an age thing :lol:

But you still own £7-8k worth of golf that you could sell tommorrow.

Can't help justify the £2k of niggles though, must be a niggly sort of person :lol:

It's very liberating knowing you can beat on a car and leave it anywhere, knowing it's not yours and will be handed back!

But you still own £7-8k worth of golf that you could sell tommorrow.

Can't help justify the £2k of niggles though, must be a niggly sort of person :lol:

Yeah there is that. I suppose it's the same with renting a house vs buying one!

Guy at work was in the position of buying and renting a car. He phoned his accountant and was told to buy.

I suppose it all really depends on your situation.

I'd feel weird washing a car I didn't own. But then I bet most people these days pay someone to do that for them.

Billcor, you're a bad influence. I've just changed jobs and decided neither the Corrado or 911 are happy doing a 12 mile commute to Woking that takes 40mins due to heavy traffic. Hence I've bought a 3rd car. Was going to get a Mk5 Golf GTi but then found for the same money I could get a Mk6 Golf TSi GT. It's got 160hp so it's nippy enough and fingers crossed far more economical.

Yeah there is that. I suppose it's the same with renting a house vs buying one!

Houses tend to appreciate though. Someone once said to me buy appreciating and rent depreciating.