Jon_vr6

Wooshing brakes

The raddo has had new rear calipers put on today as they were binding in slow moving traffic. me and the bro have bled the rear calipers using the two man method all went fine

Started car and pedal is crap and when you get so far on the pedal press you get a whooshing sound coming from somewhere under the car not the calipers though.

Anyone any ideas had enough ?

Jon

If air has entered the master cylinder you need to bleed all 4 corners not just the rears, clamp open the brake compensator on the rear axle to allow full pressure to purge out any air in the system

Fooking car

as above do all four caliper and the nipples in the engine bay..... I always put a g clamp on the brake compensator..... took me about 5 goes to get mine right.....

wooshing sound .... are you by the seaside ??

Air somewhere in the system. As you are pressing the pedal you are compressing the air

What he said. Even a small amount of air can make that noise.

Did the cap that came with it fit the brake fluid reservoir?

Ive got a gunsons and last time i used it the seal around the reservoir was crap so just leaked air

I had a easibleed 10 years ago, the seal displaced and put a full container of fluid all over the bulkhead and garage floor, it went in the bin.

I've used the above 6 or 7 times on VAG motors with no issues what so ever.

I have one of those pressure bleeders, and would never go back to the old method of pumping pedal/topping up fluid /pumping...

Well worth the money, given how easy it makes bleeding the entire system.

Question does the master cylinder reservoir cap need to be on when 2 man bleeding or does it not matter ?

Needs to be off mate. Some cars can be a bitch to purge air out of but just stick with the 2 man method and you'll get there. BUT, if your hearing air escaping under braking, which it can do as it's much thinner than the fluid and gets past the joins in the pipes, it can also draw air into the system upon lifting off the pedal. So check your pipes are nice and tight.

Prob give it another go bleeding 2 man then if that doesnt work get a pressure bleeder.

Also do you bleed with ignition on or off ive always had it on but does it matter?

Well gave it another bleed 2 man method and still the same. So pressure bleeder above being acquired tomorrow afternoon and ill have another go.

Two quick questions ABS on or off during pressure bleeding? (Had it on during first bleed and off during second, does it matter?)

What PSI do you pump the bleeder to ?

Cheers

Jon

Well gave it another bleed 2 man method and still the same. So pressure bleeder above being acquired tomorrow afternoon and ill have another go.

Two quick questions ABS on or off during pressure bleeding? (Had it on during first bleed and off during second, does it matter?)

What PSI do you pump the bleeder to ?

Cheers

Jon

When I did mine, ignition off... 10- 15 psi... Not too much you will blow the seals.....

Found mine got better over a week or so of not using it as the fluid settled.

Mine was a pain in the arse to do, using a pressure bleed.

Mine's done this for years now - ever since upgrading to 312mm brakes, now I think of it. Always assumed it was normal :lol:

I've not yet found a garage that seems to know how to do them 'properly' but they did a reasonable job in 20 minutes with a pressure-bleeder last time. At least, none of the pipes are leaking since they were all replaced...!

Stone

Cheers for the advice on this thread, was about to order the gunson kit.

I'll get the sealey one now :cheers: