Liam20vT

Crashy ride

Hi All,

I've been having a problem lately with the drivers side front suspension. As I go over a dip/hole in the road it feels like my rim or something metal is hitting the floor which is giving quite an uncomfortable ride. I did notice that there is abit of play in that wheel so it would suggest a wheel bearing? However the ride has never been this bad when they have gone in the past so would this suggest something else is at fault here? Possible ball joint or bushes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Liam

edit: Tyre pressure is ok before anyone asks! :)

Could be a few things, more likely to be related to suspension rather than a ball joint or similar IMO

Is the damper leaking, Bump stops and Top mounts ok?

Maybe a snapped spring?

Thanks for the replies.

No advisories on last MOT.

I havent checked the suspension at all (I only noticed the play in wheel last night). How would I know if the top mount is at fault?

I will give the coilover a once over this evening - it might be worth noting that car is prety low so could possibly just be bottoming out, however this wouldnt happen on just the one side would it?

Some pics here in the top mount thread

http://www.the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=41755

If its bottoming out it should be fairly noticeable, check the subframe and sump for marks.

I've not done anything with the suspension on my car yet but in the past i've always cut the bumpstops down a bit as the standard ones have always seemed a bit long.

Had a look at the suspected top mount as suggested and I could turn it by hand. Tightened it up and the ride is certainly a lot better :) steering feels a little light/loose at the moment, I might need another wheel bearing haha.

Thanks mate. How often do people usually go through wheel bearings? I have changed a wheel bearing every 6ish months per side, although I drive the car daily and drive it as it should ;) does this seem excessive?

I Did think I was eating through them to be honest haha. Well I'm certainly not buying the cheapest ones I can find thats for sure haha. I've been buying my bearing's from vwspares(AVS spares).They tend to have good parts?

I noticed VW heritage sell meyle ones - What would you advise?

Thanks mate. How often do people usually go through wheel bearings? I have changed a wheel bearing every 6ish months per side, although I drive the car daily and drive it as it should ;) does this seem excessive?

Definitely m8!! I have covered nearly 60K in my VR since buying & only renewed rear bearings when replacing rear discs. I dont think i have replaced a front bearing yet

PS i also drive it daily & have a dual carriageway clover leaf section near me which gets a regular hammering ;)

I had a problem with eating bearings so put in some direct from the vw dealers and no problems since. Not cheap though but worth the extra

Yeah AVS are usually pretty decent from what I've heard, had some parts off them before without any issues!

In the past I've always just gone for the more expensive of the ECP ones.

Never replaced them on the Rado yet but it's something I'm planning on doing soon, I was just going to get the Febi ones off eBay.