maff

Late 'N' reg corrado vr6 rev limit

Hi all,

Had a spirited drive in the storm the other day and always remember all of my previous vr6's easily pulling 70mph in 2nd gear, but my storm only got to 65mph ish before i almost head butted the windscreen.

I understand the early vr's had a higher rev limit and later cars had a lower limit but i thought they all did 70mph in second??! I remember my first vr6 doing 115mph in third! i think?

Sounds about right on both those figures that I've managed. Think it was about 68 in second, and I got to 110 in third with a little left, then thought I'd better slow it down a tad! Bear in mind the speedo isn't particularly accurate, and wheel size, tyre profile, and even tyre wear will have an affect of at least a couple of mph at these speeds too.

Edited by seanl82

Cheers, I'm sure it was 115mph in third and *ahem* 158mph in 5th still pulling! Private track mind you;-)and the steering went a bit light which was pretty scary.

Still feels like the limiter is coming in a tad early in the storm though?

158mph in 5th still pulling!

Sorry but find that a little hard to believe ;) How many mile's were you going to get to this??

158mph in 5th still pulling!

Sorry but find that a little hard to believe ;) How many mile's were you going to get to this??

Sounds utterly ridiculous eh? but its true, and it was still pulling! One of the reasons i still love these cars:-)

Indicated or actual? let's be sensible now I'm not looking to make anyone look silly but on a parallel my Sierra a XR4x4 running cosworth 330bhp ran off the clock 170+ not saying your talking Bull maff maybe just a little optimistic. :thumbleft:

Hmm.. not sure about some of these speeds! I know the VR will crack 100MPH in third but I didn't think it'd run as high as 115MPH..

Just wondering if you had incorrect sized alloys on the car which were causing the speedo to over-read?

I know what your saying Jim. Mines on 17" wheels with 40 profile tyres to run as near as the true rolling radius as possible. To give an indication, at Bruntingthorpe down the runway I had 143 indicated with 138 on the tomtom so not a million miles out. I achieved the figures I mentioned above as indicated though. As for 158, I don't buy that either, not stock anyway. I ran,out of runway on the top speed test but didn't have much more to give tbh. I think the quoted figure of 146 is probably realistic though.

Definatly an indicated 158mph on the speedo, true speed would probably be 10 mph shy of that I would of thought, k reg vr6 15" speedlines

Remember the speedo inaccuracy gets worse the higher the reading ;) I have an old sat-nav that logs maximum speed whenever you're driving a route - much more accurate but I imagine it can be quite difficult to explain if you get pulled over!

Had mine at 150 indicated with a little bit left but I would have needed quite a lot more road to get any faster. I'd be surprised if it was much over 140 tbh.

Stone

158 indicated would be about 145ish actual. I got up there MANY times in my VR6 turbo and the speedo is miles off at those speeds. Sorry to break it to you :D

I'm sure I've got a gearspeed calculation spreadsheet somewhere that says a VR on standard gearing and a 6500rpm limit could theoretically reach 170mph.

If I can find it I'll post it up here.

Here you go, if anyone is interested. I was mistaken with my previous post, you'd need a rev limit of 7000rpm to achieve 170mph on a standard VR gearbox. Using the undeniable truth of maths, and the gear ratios from the wiki, a rev limit of 6500rpm is a max of 40mph in 1st, 68mph in 2nd, 101mph in third, 127mph in 4th and 157mph in 5th.

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/inforatios.html - Feel free to try it out for yourselves.

WSnt there a guy on here a few years ago running a monster vrt or big power 1.8t that he said he had had 180 out of , im sure it was a blue car aswell but thats about all i can remember , im sure he had been testing it on an airfield and said that he had let off at 180 because things got a little skittish and his keggs went bad