redrado666

corrado skid plate

hello! been trying to get hold of a skid plate for my 20vt corrado as the sump is so low! ive found these-

http://www.reflexautodesign.com/RAD_Skid_plateSump_guard/p1746568_8048232.aspx

but dont make them for a corrado only a mk2 & 3, i have messaged them to see if they do one but the chap said hes not sure if a mk2 one will fit on a corrado. do you guys know if a mk2 one will fit? or do you know of a place that i can get hold of one? thanks!

I personally wouldn't bother with a skid plate If all you are worried about is the sump, I would imagine it would be far easier/cheaper to raise the engine. Not sure if it is possible with corrado's however I know that mk2 golf people put hockey pucks under their engine mounts

The only problem with raising an engine is that you highen the center of gravity , more weight up top means less stability , probably not that noticable but id rather run a skid pan than a hockey puck

I've got a sump guard sat in my garage, mason tech made the original then someone had some made. I had problems with oil temps, made a massive difference just taking the splitter off so putting a sump guard will most likely be even worse.

I'm fairly sure you can get a shorter sump for the 1.8t and even more so you can get one with steel bottom section. As for raising the engine i doubt you will notice that much difference in centre of gravity, but you may find clearance on the bonnet difficult if you have an early bonnet

cheers for the replys.... the issue i would have with lifting the engine is the boost pipes will touch the bonnet, already very close. and ive read you can fit a beetle 1.8t sump as its shallower but can have problems with the oil pick up? swiftkid if your interested in selling the guard then drop me a pm :thumbleft:

You might be right with the handling dave you probably would notice it that much inless your a very seriouse driver , as for the sump you should see lower temps once we get our spal fans so you might be able to run it again once the better fans are on

Hehe, a few people are after my sump guard. Been meaning to get it drawn up on CAD so I can just give the drawing out to anyone that wants it. Havn't even seen my car in about 3 weeks though :(

Never even ran the guard matt, but next time my car sees the road it will have a completely different engine that hopefully won't have any overheating issues, plus its higher than the subframe which is nice!

The later bonnets have the hump in the middle for extra clearance but doesn't quite line up perfectly with the wings and front end. Also just found this thread after a quick google http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/49980-shallow-steel-sump-info/

I would imagine you will need a shorter pickup if you shorten the sump its fine running a shortened sump as long as you keep on top of the oil level as my vr6 has one fitted and that runs an r32 pickup and the sump sits nice and high up out of harms way the cars supposed to have hockey puck engine mounts aswell but i have a late bonnet

Think they about the same, subframes and cross members are interchangeable between corrados, mk2's and mk3's. just look at people doing vr6 conversions to mk2s using corrado and mk3 parts.

There may be subtle differences though but it's not something I've ever looked into I'm afraid, I'm betting the question has been asked and answered though