Sign in to follow this  
kangaroo

Clifford or Toad?

Ok, I'm looking to get a cat1 alarm fitted this saturday. The place is in Plymouth, and they do quite a few alarms. The two that were recommended by the assistant were the Clifford Concept 300 (£350), and the Toad AI606 (£309). Which do I go for?

This is what I'm looking for in an alarm:

- One that's reliable. I don't want to be left stranded somewhere because the alarm has decided to play silly-buggers and won't let me in. :roll:

- Full closure and remote locking. Just like my standard alarm has now.

- Ultrasonic protection, and glass breaking detection.

- A small key fob (I know it sounds stupid, but i HATE chunky or overly styled key-fobs, they ruin my sense of pocket-aesthetics.)

- Something that maliciously injures anyone that tries to break in, preferably to within an inch of their death. :twisted:

(The company also does Scorpion (1218) and Sigma (M30) alarms, but the guy on the phone said they're not very popular. Poor alarms.)

If anyone has experience of either the clifford or toad then please let me know. Much appreciated!

I know a lot of people scream bloody murder about Clifford alarms.. but it definately comes down to the person who fitted it. Make sure the place is certified by Clifford, and try and at least find out some local opinion on the company and if they do a good job.

I had a Clifford Concept 300 fitted to my Saxo by a reputable local company, and in the year or so I owned it, it never gave me any trouble.

Can't speak for Toad, but I have heard good things about their alarms too.

Mate, had many people in the "trade" strongly suggest against a Clifford. Unfortunately I hadn't asked any of these before I had a Clifford fitted to my Mk1 :roll:

My Mk1s Clifford has been a total nightmare and was fitted by a v competent engineer at a Clifford authorised fitting centre.

By contrast I have a Sigma M30 on my C and it has been perfect in every single way (touch wood!)

I'd strongly recommend the Sigma, but if you are considering only Toad and Clifford, go for the Toad. I've heard good things on the whole about Toad.

Jim, I think you were lucky!

I have to agree with moonlightvr, I had a clifford on my last car, annoying and always going off, beepin people when they walked past, also beepin the rain if it rained too hard. also annoyingly locked the doors on odd occasions sometimes with keys still in it and would go offf soemtimes if u wanted too sit in ya car without the engine or ignition on . Could have been the fitter and the age, but i also know someone else local with a temperamental clifford.

My C has a Sigma, dont know the model number, but its v good, never given me any probs in the year i had it.

If its out of clifford or toad i would have toad.

I fit Toad car alarms and what you have to look at is they come with a "Life Time" warranty while you own the car and should the unit go wrong which in the past 12 months we have only had one out the 10 we fit a week then they can be changed over within an hour so you don't have to lose your car for another day.

Sounds like a good price make sure he doesn't sting you for the total closure as you car will have it on the key so it only connecting up two extra wires on the alarm.

Also might be worth you getting them to fit a dual shock senor so if someone trys to break your window then the alarm wil go off only cost you about an extra £30 and well worth it.

Also just a note Toad now own Sigma and they don't have a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps

Fair enough then! I guess I just got lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard a fair few horror stories about Clifford alarms but I know that Andi has a Concept 300, and I too had the Concept 300 on my Saxo and as far as I know, Andi has had no trouble with his alarm either. I can't vouch for how the alarm gets once you have a few features bolted on like dual-zone and remote start though.. maybe in its barebones Concept 300 configuration its a little better behaved?

Cheers for the replies guys! Apprantly the Toad comes with a lifetime warranty, but he also said Clifford does too. I have to admit I'd rather worried about what some of your say about Clifford's reliability though...

Simon L20VR6, the dual-shock thing sounds good. Can you add a tilt-sensor too? Would that stop people trying to tow, or trailer away your car?

As for the Sigma... Well, I haven't crossed it off the list, its just the guy said they weren't very popular. But if its does all the same things that the Toad does then I might consider it, especially if its reliable. What do you think?

Ok, I'm looking to get a cat1 alarm fitted this saturday. The place is in Plymouth, and they do quite a few alarms. The two that were recommended by the assistant were the Clifford Concept 300 (£350), and the Toad AI606 (£309). Which do I go for?

I had the same Toad alarm in my old 16v Golf and it gave no trouble during my year of ownership, and I had the Concept 300 installed in my Corrado last November, again this has been problem free, so personally I'd recommend either. 8)

The arm/disarm fobs on both are roughly the same size although I did have an extra immobiliser key with the Toad.

As long as you use a reputable installer you shouldn't go far wrong :wink:

got a toad on my MKI and it's never given me any hassle since it was installed in 94... although the car HAS been off the road since '99... :roll: (It does still work perfectly though! ;) )

I've got a sigma on my Corrado, and have had other sigma and Toad alarms and have never had a problem with any of 'em... 8)

The Dual Shock Module will cover the tilting as well I should have explained that.

It's called Dual Shock and one cover Tilting and the other cover impacts like someone bumping you car or trying to break a window.

Note If you live on a major road and park your car on the road Shock sensors can be set off by Lorry going past and moving the car also you have to take care at car show as real loud bass can set them off too, but then I do alarm my car at a show if I'm showing it.

I had a Clifford Concept 500 installed about 3 months ago.

There WERE some teething difficulties, predominantly fine adjusting the perimeter sensors and impact sensors (hence bleeping at people and in the rain) but this seems to have been resolved. I had a problem with the main alarm going off when it rains but this was due to the siting of the bonnet sensor - rain was running down the left hand side bonnet gap and streaming on to the sensor shorting it, but once re-sited, Ive had no problems.

It is ESSENTIAL that you get an authorised dealer or else Thatcham Cat 1 status is void, besides having a nightmare when something goes wrong

SHOP around - I was quoted a range of £450-£850 for the same alarm system!!

Oh yeah - if you do go for the Clifford - make sure you have a few months do go through the instruction manual

NOTE: the last point may be due to my mental lassitude - you may have no problem digesting it

I'd have to jump on the toad bandwagon too. Got an Ai606, works perfectly every time. Anti-Hijack is an arse though, locks the bloody door until you take the key out of the ignition. However, more than made up by the fact I can blind ppl remotely as the headlights are wired to a spare button on the fob. :D

Time to add my 2p.

Got the Clifford 300 on mine, and its been fine.

Its suprising the rep the Clifford has, and everytime someone goes wrong with the C and, say the ignition, or the doors, or the windows... the Clifford ALWAYS gets blamed, but not once has it actually been the culprit.

I even had an RAC man leave me at the side of the road, as the fuel pump wasn't working. He said it was the alarm and not his problem. I rang the RAC, complained, got a more competant engineer out, who found a faulty earth on my fuel pump relay.

The only problem I have had was the aerial to the alarm came out on like day 2, but just use the keypad to override the alarm and they fixed it in 5 mins when I went back to where I got it from. Nothing since, and its now 2 years old.

As for the Toad, I thought I remember hearing they do bugger all when someone actually tries to nick your car?

Remember Clifford will also pay your insurance excess if your car is stolen and the alarm is by-passed: they are that convinced it can't be done.

Just to support what Asim and Gareth said above, Sigma get my vote too. I've had Scorpions and Cliffords in the past and have now got a Concept 300 (I think - carbon effect 4 button keyfob) and it suffices. In 18 months, it has gone off falsely about 10 times, the auto-locking upon engine start no longer works, the plain-view programming is now hit and miss, and the locks don't always unlock again.

My mate's Sigma in his Subaru hasn't gone off falsely at all in 2 years.......and Clifford boast about F.A.C.T?

I also support what Andi said above about the car's electronics needing to he tip-top if the alarm is to function correctly. Believe me, I am no stranger to VWs or the Corrado and I can guarantee my problems are down to the Clifford control unit, and not the car.

My advice - Get the Sigma.

K

nowt wrong with cliffords. I've had a 50x for 6 years, had it in a few cars now.

currently running a top of the range avantguard G5, which I installed myself. not had a single problem with that yet either.

the g5 keyfods are damn ugly though, I prefferred the old stlye.

the only experience I've had with a Toad is on my mates car, and I found it very confusing to use, but that's only because I'd never read a manual for it I guess.

Cheers for all the advice everyone. It seems Sigma has got some good reviews, so now I think its between the Sigma and the Toad :) (I found lots of info on the two here) Unfortunately the tempermental nature of the Clifford worries me...

My only concern with the Sigma is it doen't seem as feature rich. In fact it does exactly the same as my current alarm (the dealer fit scorpion thingy). Can you add things like tilt sensors and such to the Sigma?

Whereas the Toad is full of add-ons that could be quite useful...

Simon L20VR6, Dual Shock sounds good, but unfortunately I do park my C on the road. Can the sensitivity be adjusted, so it doesn't false-alarm at lorries and such?

You can adjust the sensitivity, but you may have to turn it right down.

Also the Anti- Hijack feature can be disabled in promgraming by anywhere that fits Toad, I have mine turned off as I know of two customers who have locked themselve out of the car with the engine running even though we point it out to them when they pick the car up it easy to do in error if your in a hurry.

Toads all the way for me!

Have just fitted my 3rd now & have never had a problem with any of them.

On a down side - I've not been able to do a 'full closure' with the 606, as the 'lock' pulse is only 3.5 secs & to fully close 2 windows and the roof you need about a 8 sec 'lock signal'. I'm sure there is a way around it though!

Apparantly the Sigma comes with an addition called Dual-Zone proximity, which chirps when people get too close to the car... Anyone any experience with this? Sounds good, although I can just imagine kids trying to play around with it, seeing how close they can get before it chirps at them :roll: the little buggers...

I like Sigma's number-pad thingy, in case someone nicks your keys, but I also like Toad's lifetime warranty... Hmmm, decisions decisions.

One more question, do the ultrasonic detectors catch people simply banging on your window, or does it have to be a full break?

Most people turn the voice warning off as it's embarrassing.

Ultrasonics detect minute changes in cabin air pressure, so if the sensitivity is cranked up and they bang hard enough on the glass, then yeah it could trigger the alarm but the risk of falseys increases dramatically.

The ultrasonics are generally set quite low on Cliffords and I've been able to reach in an open window & take the head unit out without the alarm going off, but a cat jumping on the car at night triggers it. Quality stuff :roll:

I can honestly say i´ve had no problems with my Clifford that havn´t been down to me pressing the buttons on the remote in the wrong order on programming them. Its so eay to do, I use the PC software to program mine now as i have a laptop.

I´ve got most of the toys on my clifford now too, Duel zone prox, intellivoice, blackjaxx, glass break sensors, shock sensors etc.

The main problem with clifford is they need setting up for the place they are mainly parked. No good having them set up in a quiet garage, if you park on a road with heavy lorries and car passing all the time. If you are unsure about the setup of your alarm download the installers manual from http://www.clifford.com/guides/other.asp you can also download the latest version of the wizard software (g5 version) it works with the G4 stuff but i still use the G4 software.

jeez, I can understand requiring a PC to talk to the engine computer, but to program the alarm aswell? That's nuts! :)

jeez, I can understand requiring a PC to talk to the engine computer, but to program the alarm aswell? That's nuts! :)

It's a damn site easier than the plainview switch!

G60Jet, how does the glass break sensor work? From what keyhaywire said, shouldn't the ultrasonics pick up something like a window being smashed?