Juddy

16v Steering is too light!!!

I hope some one can help as i have cant work out why my 16v's sterring is so light? even when you are driving it stay's true and drives ok apart from the steering feels even lighter it is very twicthy on the motorway and country lanes. when i brought it had 18inch wheels on which i thougt could be to blame but i have changed them to avail :shrug:

Any ideas!!! starting to bang my head against the wall.

Tyre pressures too high? Steering geometry, especially castor-angle wrong?? What benchmark are you judging your opinion against? Are the tyres wearing evenly?

Best wishes

RB

checked over the geometry took of the massive 18inch rims and 2 inch spacers. checked the pressures ball joints track rods etcjust cant seem to get to the source. the sterring is scarely lihgt when driving so much so you have no feed back from the wheels, Ive had these cars before and none were as light on the sterring as this.

When you say you have checked over the geometry, have you had the car checked on a decent wheel alignment rig?

If the camber is ok, slightly negative, and the front track is roughly parallel then I suspect you have a steering rack problem, it could be that the valving in the rack is shot, the Corrado pas is pretty heavy, does the pump sound ok? You should get a slight whine from it when you turn the wheel with the car stationary, engine running, quiet and no fluid blasting into the reservoir when not turning.

When you say you have checked over the geometry, have you had the car checked on a decent wheel alignment rig?

Thanks for the replies.

Yep had it laser aligned,They can't work it out. My next port of call is the rack or pump as mentioned by David.

Hi did you ever get to the bottom of this as I have a G60 that has really light steering.

Regards Richard........

Hi new rear axle bushes made a massive difference to mine

Light steering could also be sign of tracking/geometry etc being off. Uneven tyre wear should back that up i.e. on edges.

Over inflated front tyres can also make steering feel light, over wear in the middle of the tyre points to this.