feeenix14

New tax rules. Thinking of selling. Panic or not ??

I think the whole change is a breath of fresh air, just with a few problems to get straight. Don't get me wrong, there are bits of it I certainly don't agree with but then I pay the same tax and national insurance as a smoker when I'm statistically less likely to use the NHS, but that's a discussion for another day. No system is ever fair all the time.

If and when tax is split into 365 days as apposed to 12 (unequal length) month periods then things will improve for the better. But we all know how fast big government moves so let's just be glad that some progress has been made.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Regarding the selling with no road tax, surely until the seller notifies DVLA, sends in the V5, the car will still in their eyes be taxed, so the buyer will have a few days to sort the tax out, same regarding insurance, you should still be able to call from the sellers premises and insure the car because at that point it will still be taxed by the seller :shrug:

Please correct me if I'm talking crap... which I'm sure you will

Regarding the selling with no road tax, surely until the seller notifies DVLA, sends in the V5, the car will still in their eyes be taxed, so the buyer will have a few days to sort the tax out, same regarding insurance, you should still be able to call from the sellers premises and insure the car because at that point it will still be taxed by the seller :shrug:

That sounds logical

That sounds logical

So as a seller would you be willing to post date the V5? What about if the buyer then runs a red light or gets a speeding ticket (it happened to Mr Lobitos shortly after the sale). If its non transferable then you're driving illegally and should the worst happen what then?

I always put date time and mileage figures when transferring ownership. Helps safeguard against things like that happening.

I always put date time and mileage figures when transferring ownership. Helps safeguard against things like that happening.

That's good advice for anyone selling a used car.

That needs clearing up by the DVLA and police. But I would assume the second the car is sold then it isn't taxed and as such you are committing fraud by attempting to claim it's still taxed.

So as a seller would you be willing to post date the V5? What about if the buyer then runs a red light or gets a speeding ticket (it happened to Mr Lobitos shortly after the sale). If its non transferable then you're driving illegally and should the worst happen what then?

No need to post date and I never would, but even if you posted it out the same day, it wouldn't arrive until the following day, basically giving the buyer 24hrs to sort out the tax

No need to post date and I never would, but even if you posted it out the same day, it wouldn't arrive until the following day, basically giving the buyer 24hrs to sort out the tax

But if they buyer were to be involved in an accident or violation on the way home where would he stand? He has no tax, you cant sell it and you wont quite rightly post date the V5.

The only way around it is that the seller delivers the car after the buyer views and pays a deposit for the car?

As always ill-conceived and only affects the law abiding.... They couldn't run a bath let alone the country

So how would you answer the question "Is this car yours Sir" when you get stopped for an unrelated issue on the way home?

If you say yes, then are you incriminating yourself for driving without tax?

Again, its a basic question that should have been given a black and white answer long before the system was changed. One policeman might be lenient, the other might choose to do you.

Well I'm in this dilemma already, the vehicle is 200 miles away (and has a private plate and outstanding finance to add to the complexity of the sale), the simple solution would be to allow insurance companies to sell road tax so a call to your ins co to add the vehicle to your policy and tax at the same time, too simple for the law makers / MPs I suppose..................................

Or better yet, stick a few pennies a litre on fuel and get rid of the entire excise duty rubbish.

The problem with that is people would get a multicar policy and fill your street with their crap

Well I'm in this dilemma already, the vehicle is 200 miles away (and has a private plate and outstanding finance to add to the complexity of the sale), the simple solution would be to allow insurance companies to sell road tax so a call to your ins co to add the vehicle to your policy and tax at the same time, too simple for the law makers / MPs I suppose..................................

That's actually a really good idea. They could charge an extra £10, or whatever, to make it attractive to the insurance company. Then a buyer would have the option of the standard price at a post office/online, or the convenience of tying it to the insurance.