Jamie

Drilled or Grooved brake discs

Going to be needing to buy new front discs in the near future and thinking of getting drilled of or grooved. I've heard plenty of horror stories about drilled discs cracking and grooved discs being noisy but I just wondered if any of you were running them on your C's? I'm ashamed to admit I'm only really doing it for the look, the car never really gets driven in anger so what's the likelyhood of me cracking drilled discs? Oh and do they give off a LOT more dust?

And just out of interest what do you all think looks best - drilled, grooved or drilled and grooved?

Edited by Jamie

I ran dimpled and grooved Mtec discs on mine when the ebc grooved ones that came on the car were dead.

Like you it was for looks, as well as performance, but unless you track the car it won't make much difference on the road and I suspect you would be unlikely to crack them.

Mine are grooved / slotted , no cracks and there fine stopping aswell , i think im gonna renew the disks and ill be doing the same aswell and staying slottoed just for the looks alone

I've had the same thoughts recently but decided against it in the end as my fronts are near new and rears have about 10k left in them. I think grooved look best unless you have massive disks behind the wheels. They'd be lost behind standard Speedlines regardless though I think.

Dont get drilled, slotted if you must. Drilled are more likely to crack if abused and the wholes can clog up, slotted are good for helping the gas escape from the disc face but do speed up pad wear. I use slotted on my RS4.

If you are venturing out onto track then I'd suggest slotted for the reasons mentioned above. If not, you'll just be wearing your pads out quicker and more crucially for me, creating more brake dust to clean of the car every week or two! Vented, flat discs are generally more than enough unless you regularly get up to 100 mph in the ring road roundabout race.

Excellent thanks for your input. Like I said the car very rarely gets used in anger it's more about looks than anything else. Not keen on the extra brake dust but I suppose I'll have to put up with that and it's not like my rims are an RS level of pain in the arse to keep clean

I would imagine you are far less likely to get anything stuck between the pad and disk resulting in unsightly scoring when using grooved discs. Along with them keeping the face of the pads glaze free to avoid squealing. Worth a bit extra dust if you ask me.

I'm running drilled on mine. They are meant to be a bit more prone to cracking but you get better initial bite than with standard or grooved discs.

Plus, on full lock my bottom ball joints are a little close to the disc so you get a clicking noise as it catches in the holes.... which is always amusing for passengers that aren't expecting it...

I have drilled front and rear. They will be coming off the VR and for sale with along with green stuff pads when I get around to fitting the Brembos.

I have drilled front and rear. They will be coming off the VR and for sale with along with green stuff pads when I get around to fitting the Brembos.

Are they 312s mate or standard?

I run standard discs and uprated pads on verity. If I had to go one or other it would be slotted.

If not being abuse you lose the advantage of the air flow but as you said if purely comestic go with what you prefer