oilman

Gold Plug Magnetic Sump Plugs now available

goldplug.jpg

In the past we’ve often been asked if we sell magnetic sump plugs? Well we have some good news – WE DO NOW and there not just any magnetic sump plug there Gold Plug all the way form the US of A! These plugs feature the most powerful magnets in the world and they knock the socks of their competitors and they look the business too!

As a start we are now stocking 12 different variations, however these 12 cover hundreds if not thousands of cars and bikes including BMW’s, Ford, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Mini, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Land Rover, Volvo, Subaru, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Honda, Mazda, Saab, Kia, Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Harley Davidson – the list is endless but don’t worry we have created a look up guide for the ones we have that can be found here > > >

All plugs are priced on our web site at £15.59 before 10% members discount (£14.03 after discount!). Where possible club discount codes can be found in our signature, however if it's not then drop us a PM and we will let you know.

Once you have found your required plug then visit our Gold Plug section of our web site and add to your basket. If however you have any questions on these then feel free to give us a call on 01209 202949 or send us an email to [email protected] or just ask us on the forum and we will be happy to help.

Cheers

- oilman

I'd like to know which parts of a healthy engine drop visible bits of ferrous metal into the oil?? seems like these things are a waste of money to me, only use is in gearboxes and transfer boxes with no filtering of the oil.

I have had quite a few bits of metal in mine from the upper chain tensioner, looked like rivets.

Also, don't you get a little bit from a new engine wearing in?

I have had quite a few bits of metal in mine from the upper chain tensioner, looked like rivets.

Also, don't you get a little bit from a new engine wearing in?

Big pieces of metal wont get past the strainer in the oil pump pick up anyway and will remain in the sump.

I know, i did find all the bits in the strainer, including bits of the chain guide which were quite large lumps of plastic.

I don't mind having a magnetic sump plug, i will see what it picks up and report back.

It's the finer bits which get past the oil pick up strainer

It is very fine bits after a fresh build I thinks

Imo I can be wrong but will the fine bits sink to the bottom near the sump plug?

When you do your next oil change drop a magnet into the old oil in the bowl and see what it picks up.

If an engine has survived for 20 years without a magnetic sump plug why does it need one now?

I know, i did find all the bits in the strainer, including bits of the chain guide which were quite large lumps of plastic.

I don't mind having a magnetic sump plug, i will see what it picks up and report back.

Not sure a magnetic sump plugs gonna help you with this

I'm hoping to drive it through a field and with any luck i will pick up some rare lost artefacts, like jesus' letter opener or adams (from adam and eve)cock ring.

I'd like to know which parts of a healthy engine drop visible bits of ferrous metal into the oil?? seems like these things are a waste of money to me, only use is in gearboxes and transfer boxes with no filtering of the oil.

+1. It's a gimmick.

Why don't VW use these as standard? For 2 reasons - 1) Customer paranoia and 2) swarf is collected by the oil pump and trapped by the oil filter before it reaches sensitive areas, like bearing surfaces and tiny oil ways.

Is it true the gearbox plugs are magnetic?

Can it not also provide an early sign something is wrong? I wouldn't of known my tensioner was so buggered unless i took the timing covers off or removed the oil pump.

Can it not also provide an early sign something is wrong? I wouldn't of known my tensioner was so buggered unless i took the timing covers off or removed the oil pump.

I think thats the purpose of them tbh. As mentioned, its not that they prevent metal particles finding their way into places that could cause damage, its to give an indication that there may be something amiss before it becomes catastrophic. They're not exactly expensive, and I don't replace my sump nut every time I do an oil change (just the copper seal) so it won't cost the earth for that little peace of mind.

Some are, gearboxes have no strainer, no pump and no filter, the gears simply whip up oil as they rotate.

How long had the tensioner bits been broken and dormant?

If you found swarf would you rip the engine apart again?

Don't VAG gearboxes have a magnet attached to the inside the gearbox casing to trap swarf? I've personally never seen a VAG with a magnetic drain plug.

It could, but new engines produce huge amounts of swarf and customers / dealer technicians would brick themselves! Tensioner bits are plastic though? :D

I'm not saying don't use a magnetic drain plug, I just think ignorance is bliss sometimes :) I always see bits of metal in the bottom of my drain pan, even on good engines, so it doesn't bother me really.

Edited by Kevin Bacon