Jim Bowen

Dash tweeters

While dash is out i may as well fit some better dash tweeters, would i be best buying some door speakers that come with tweeters and cross overs etc?

Any recommendations? Not looking for massive sounds, just better than standard and to fit in standard dash/door pods.

I've not bought car speakers for about 12yrs

Buy a pair of matched speakers with crossovers. From then on its just budget and it's like anything then, The more you spend the better you get.

The thing is, the standard noise insulation is so poor in comparison to modern stuff, you'll not notice any difference between mid and high end stuff. Unless you go nuts and insulate the hell out of everything whilst it's in pieces.

I've used car audio security in the past and have been happy with their products and service.

I really like Infinity stereo stuff. On the higher end of budget type stuff before things get expensive, but very decent sound quality. Would definitely suggest checking it out :)

Awesome! Let us know how you get on. Will be a substantial improvement over the clapped out old OE stuff!

Not sure where I'll mount the crossovers. They are quite large. Going to try and hide them on inside of dashboard

My old ones were held on with the stickle brick type velcro stuff to the underside of the glove box, and the outer kick plate on the drivers side. (Where abs ecu is on the other side).

I thought about mounting them in the inside of door pockets. They seem a bit big to hid in the dash. I suppose glove box could work.

I did wonder if I could buy some equivalent inline crossovers. Can't see why these infinity ones are so large.

Interesting you mention the location of the crossovers - i'm thinking of a solution here too! At present it will be one in the glove box (drilling a hole for the leads in the back) and the other will temporarily be in the shelf under the steering column, but as Sean suggests, will probably need to be moved to the drivers kickplate area.

Also noticed your development on the installation of the tweeters - same as mine! Interested in your solution for the grilles too. I was thinking of cutting some mdf and covering it in some leather to act as the surrounds.

looks good bro. if you remove the pocket panels under the dash you'll find plenty of room for cross overs.

Edited by EJ Taylor

As far as the doors go the corrado is the worst when it comes to audio, the speakers being mounted to the door card instead of the door itself makes it incredibly difficult to achieve any sort of mid range, and the fact they are only a 5.25" cone really doesn't help either, see how it sounds but going forward i would recommend getting some sort of sub woofer, even if its something small like the Pioneer TS-WX110A (tiny and cheap little active unit) just to pick up the lower frequencies near on impossible to achieve without carrying out some sort of door build.

Also noticed your development on the installation of the tweeters - same as mine! Interested in your solution for the grilles too. I was thinking of cutting some mdf and covering it in some leather to act as the surrounds.

Tried fitting them last night and they do stick up too much, i found out i could just turn the mount upside down and fit from underneath and the original grilles fit over them fine now.

20150107_193855.jpg

20150107_191313.jpg

As far as the doors go the corrado is the worst when it comes to audio, the speakers being mounted to the door card instead of the door itself makes it incredibly difficult to achieve any sort of mid range, and the fact they are only a 5.25" cone really doesn't help either, see how it sounds but going forward i would recommend getting some sort of sub woofer, even if its something small like the Pioneer TS-WX110A (tiny and cheap little active unit) just to pick up the lower frequencies near on impossible to achieve without carrying out some sort of door build.

I was running a stealth shelf with 6x9's before i took car off the road, i did like the extra bass but removed it all because it was all so heavy and a bit of rush job.

Might try it without any rear speakers as i seem to off put a screw through the little 6x4's, they were also infinity stuff (last owner fitted them about 10yrs ago)

Nicely done! Tidy

Looks a bit messy where i cut the old connector off with the dremel, but that will be hidden.

I was running a stealth shelf with 6x9's before i took car off the road, i did like the extra bass but removed it all because it was all so heavy and a bit of rush job.

Might try it without any rear speakers as i seem to off put a screw through the little 6x4's, they were also infinity stuff (last owner fitted them about 10yrs ago)

problem is, with parcel shelfed speaker, they are effectively floating in mid air, once again making bass hard to achieve, for example 2 x 120w RMS 6x9s in the shelf, would make less bass than a dinky little 100w RMS boxed sub in the boot. When my build gets done ill be running only 2 6.5 components. but building them into the door. all about acoustics man. but then its all relevant to your requirements, ill be using mine as a demo car for our shop and JL Audio so not really a fair comparison. Amp those 6x9s and you'll have some great sound regardless.

Tried fitting them last night and they do stick up too much, i found out i could just turn the mount upside down and fit from underneath and the original grilles fit over them fine now.

20150107_193855.jpg

20150107_191313.jpg

Great idea!

Exactly how I've done mine but the sound quality is terrible - lots of reflections and a very narrow stage. Really want to build some A pillar builds but my DLS tweets are huge...

As long as I can hear something that resembles music I'll be happy.

May readdress it in the future but at least I can put dash back in now and crack on.

Sorry Jim wasn't having a go mate just really hacked off with my own set up. Sorry if it came across that way