MZpog

What size tyres are people running on 15's?

Bought some Schmidt Modern Lines (15", 8J, 10et) for my Corrado to replace some 17's (fitted with 205/40/17) with a view to improving the ride but not wrecking the handling.

The ride calculator suggests a tyre size of 205/50/15 will be roughly the same but I thought I'd check what others are using before splashing the cash.

Stuart.

i had a set of these on my corrado i ran 195/45/15 but always thought they looked a bit small so changed them for some 195/50/15s and they looked spot on and the ride was much improved thanks ross

I'd go minimum 205/50. 195 is way too thin for 8j. 205 were originally fitted to standard wheels only 6.5j so 205 will give a touch of stretch but will be safe. 195 will be dangerous imo.

no never had a blow out believe me or not i dont like massive amounts of stretch the 195s didnt look very stretched all i think it may be due to the higher profile of the 50s if that makes sense but 205s would be fine but as i said i would stick with 50 profile as i thought it filled the arches out more

these are 195s on an 8j you can just about see best pics ive got as these are on my old car dont want an argument just depends what look you want

DSC_1820-1.jpg

DSC_1832.jpg

thats ok sean different things for different folks think it was a guy called bobby your thinking of who had 9.5js with something like a 195 on a black corrado now thats dangerous

205's it is then. I don't like stretch but without rolled arches I may struggle with 215's. You should see the tyres I bought them with, 2 x 185's and 2 x 165 :shocked!: that are fitted to the inner bead - they look ridiculous and I expect dangerous too.

would be useful to post some shots of these crazy fitments, more to illustrate the danger of such a fitment.

would be useful to post some shots of these crazy fitments, more to illustrate the danger of such a fitment.

As requested pictures of the 165/50/15, 185/45/15 and the replacement size of 195/50/15 that I opted for.

The ride is much improved, 15's are the way forward.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80383[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80384[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80385[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80386[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80387[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80388[/ATTACH]

Edited by MZpog

I found 215s to be way too wide, to be honest (fitted on 17x7s) - steering became very heavy and the tramlining was awful. Changed wheels, tyres went from 215/40/17 to 195/45/16 (on 16x7s) and the improvement was very noticeable. Would prefer 195/50/15s but they won't go over my 312s!

I find http://www.tyrestretch.com to be very useful for looking at how cool/stupid/dangerous a tyre combination is going to be. My Golf uses 175/55/15s as needed some extra clearance from the arches and they didn't come out too ridiculous, but I wouldn't want to push it much further than this.

atiwe-tyre.jpg

Stone

205 on an 8in is fine, depends on tyre make as well as some are different. 205/50/15 will probably be best but at that ET I think the wheels will stick out too much.

I went for Toyo 195/50/15 on the 8j/10et which look spot on and haven't caught/rubbed as yet (fingers crossed). Ride also much improved = result